Playing out from the back

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
User avatar
northbank123
Posts: 12392
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am
Location: Newcastle

Playing out from the back

Post by northbank123 »

Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 18907
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by SteveO 35 »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.
I agree with all of that. Of course, one would imagine that a half decent manager could spot that we don't have the personnel to do it effectively and adapt the way the team plays......or of course sign/play the players that are capable of it. Lots of teams do it and it isn't the tactic itself that's an issue - its doing it with lead footed planks like the Swiss mong that make it an issue.

User avatar
StuartL
Posts: 6904
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 8:22 pm
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day and I’m feeling good

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by StuartL »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.
Also part of the problem is that Auba cannot win an Ariel ball, or hold it up when he is up top and in central midfield we are lacking an Ariel presence too.
Persisting with it, is madness if you don’t have the players capable of doing it. Partey can play football in tight spaces with accurate passing Xhaka can’t.

User avatar
rodders999
Posts: 14630
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Diamond Club

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by rodders999 »

El Neny is limited as we all know but he’s actually excellent at receiving the ball facing his own goal and either giving the first time pass or moving out of trouble before letting it off.

I was nervous watching him receiving it in back there in the games he’s featured in this season but he’s really neat and tidy with it.

Contrast that to the Swiss turd who is forever pissing it away possession in those danger areas. Again in the second half he passed it straight to a Burnely player but thankfully there was an offside flag already up.

He’s a fucking skid mark and will forever make errors that lead to goals.

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 50937
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.
Your premise is slightly off to my way of thinking. How is it not wrong to play out from the back if you don't have the players to do it? Play to the strengths you have rather than the strengths you wish you had.

I kind of agree with your last statement because if Martinez-Lite insists on playing out from the back then he should ensure he has the personnel to do it.

I'd also add fuckwit Sideshow Chav to the list of liabilities when playing out from the back. The cataclysmic cùnt could literally do anything stupid when he gets the ball.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27223
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:18 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.
Your premise is slightly off to my way of thinking. How is it not wrong to play out from the back if you don't have the players to do it? Play to the strengths you have rather than the strengths you wish you had.

I kind of agree with your last statement because if Martinez-Lite insists on playing out from the back then he should ensure he has the personnel to do it.

I'd also add fuckwit Sideshow Chav to the list of liabilities when playing out from the back. The cataclysmic cùnt could literally do anything stupid when he gets the ball.



The problem with that my midget friend, is (as Stuart said) that we dont have any player that we can fire high balls to up front. As NB123 rightly says, it is lazy judgements when pundits jump all over the playing out from the back, and then not come up with any other option open to us.

If leno goes long instead of passing it to the swiss turd (who was under no pressure at the time), then that is meat and drink to mee and the other centre back (cant be arsed to find out correct spelling) - they know that they will gobble that up all day every day, and then we will be slated for playing a game where every time we clear it the ball comes straight back at us :roll: Goes without saying though, that arteta sticking with a tactic without having the players to play that way, is 100% on him and is far more dangerous and stupid than hoofing it long.

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 50937
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:38 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:18 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.
Your premise is slightly off to my way of thinking. How is it not wrong to play out from the back if you don't have the players to do it? Play to the strengths you have rather than the strengths you wish you had.

I kind of agree with your last statement because if Martinez-Lite insists on playing out from the back then he should ensure he has the personnel to do it.

I'd also add fuckwit Sideshow Chav to the list of liabilities when playing out from the back. The cataclysmic cùnt could literally do anything stupid when he gets the ball.



The problem with that my midget friend, is (as Stuart said) that we dont have any player that we can fire high balls to up front. As NB123 rightly says, it is lazy judgements when pundits jump all over the playing out from the back, and then not come up with any other option open to us.

If leno goes long instead of passing it to the swiss turd (who was under no pressure at the time), then that is meat and drink to mee and the other centre back (cant be arsed to find out correct spelling) - they know that they will gobble that up all day every day, and then we will be slated for playing a game where every time we clear it the ball comes straight back at us :roll: Goes without saying though, that arteta sticking with a tactic without having the players to play that way, is 100% on him and is far more dangerous and stupid than hoofing it long.
Make your mind up ffs. :lol: Basically you've agreed with me after starting off by disagreeing with me. :lol:

It does not matter even one fuck if Boomerang cannot win headers. Pragmatism is EVERYTHING in football. What is pragmatic is to risk losing the ball high up the pitch where there is no real risk and then scrap to win it back. To constantly risk losing it on your fucking 18 yard line, from your own goal kick, and then watch the ensuing panic, is lunacy. :roll:

Its Wengeresque to try playing out from the back with incapable morons like Linda, Sideshow and fucking Xhakatard involved. Delusional is an understatement.

xisstential
Posts: 4265
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 am

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by xisstential »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... avery.html

So basically as long as the players play the way Arteta wants, even if it's the utter crap they serve up, it's all good. Shades of the Wenger ego.

AS for being "brave" :coffeespit:

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27223
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:36 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:38 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:18 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.
Your premise is slightly off to my way of thinking. How is it not wrong to play out from the back if you don't have the players to do it? Play to the strengths you have rather than the strengths you wish you had.

I kind of agree with your last statement because if Martinez-Lite insists on playing out from the back then he should ensure he has the personnel to do it.

I'd also add fuckwit Sideshow Chav to the list of liabilities when playing out from the back. The cataclysmic cùnt could literally do anything stupid when he gets the ball.



The problem with that my midget friend, is (as Stuart said) that we dont have any player that we can fire high balls to up front. As NB123 rightly says, it is lazy judgements when pundits jump all over the playing out from the back, and then not come up with any other option open to us.

If leno goes long instead of passing it to the swiss turd (who was under no pressure at the time), then that is meat and drink to mee and the other centre back (cant be arsed to find out correct spelling) - they know that they will gobble that up all day every day, and then we will be slated for playing a game where every time we clear it the ball comes straight back at us :roll: Goes without saying though, that arteta sticking with a tactic without having the players to play that way, is 100% on him and is far more dangerous and stupid than hoofing it long.
Make your mind up ffs. :lol: Basically you've agreed with me after starting off by disagreeing with me. :lol:

It does not matter even one fuck if Boomerang cannot win headers. Pragmatism is EVERYTHING in football. What is pragmatic is to risk losing the ball high up the pitch where there is no real risk and then scrap to win it back. To constantly risk losing it on your fucking 18 yard line, from your own goal kick, and then watch the ensuing panic, is lunacy. :roll:

Its Wengeresque to try playing out from the back with incapable morons like Linda, Sideshow and fucking Xhakatard involved. Delusional is an understatement.



I realised that halfway through but honestly I was too tired to think straight at that stage :oops: :oops:

In summation ( :wink: ) we should play it long purely because it is as you say the more pragmatic option, but make no mistake we will soon be hammered in the media for keep giving the ball back to the opposition.
As NB123 also said, playing out from the back worked when we went through partey cos he is able to do it, but that swiss shit is fcuking shit :censored:

Clash
Posts: 2991
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by Clash »

Agree with everyone saying we haven’t got the personnel to play out from the back. Until we address that then it is a suicidal tactic, which we have seen far too many times now.

I get that hoofing the ball away probably means we lose possession but at least it’s not in such a vulnerable area. How many goals have we conceded because the opponents defenders have won headers on the halfway line?

Also how many have we actually scored by playing it out from the back compared to how many we’ve conceded from our incompetent attempts at doing so? I think we’d find the for and against column weighs heavily in the minus.

To continue doing this with such regularity after losing the amount of points we have, is a level of madness and stubbornness that belong to Wenger’s latter years. We’re not the only ones conceding goals like this of course but we’re one of the worst. It’s just the in-thing at the moment. Adopted by copy-cat coaches who are not as innovative as they like to think they are.

Modern football bollocks IMO :banghead:

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 50937
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:37 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:36 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:38 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:18 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:00 pm
Being demonised again, but for me that is utterly lazy.

We aren’t dealing with lead feet Cech trying to pass it into his own goal any more. We are very capable of playing out from the back and it is a good strategy because we need to draw the opposition up the pitch in order to create space. If the opposition sits deep we have nobody capable of splitting the defence. The first goal came from playing out from the back under pressure - because Partey is good at football.

The issue is that we have two players who are dreadful at it. Bellerin, who panics under pressure and frequently just passes aimlessly inside to nobody and Xhaka, who is only capable of playing a first-time pass sideways or backwards. Exactly what he should have done today ironically, but he took a touch and panicked.

It’s not playing out from the back that’s the problem, it is picking fucking useless sacks of shit like Xhaka every week.
Your premise is slightly off to my way of thinking. How is it not wrong to play out from the back if you don't have the players to do it? Play to the strengths you have rather than the strengths you wish you had.

I kind of agree with your last statement because if Martinez-Lite insists on playing out from the back then he should ensure he has the personnel to do it.

I'd also add fuckwit Sideshow Chav to the list of liabilities when playing out from the back. The cataclysmic cùnt could literally do anything stupid when he gets the ball.



The problem with that my midget friend, is (as Stuart said) that we dont have any player that we can fire high balls to up front. As NB123 rightly says, it is lazy judgements when pundits jump all over the playing out from the back, and then not come up with any other option open to us.

If leno goes long instead of passing it to the swiss turd (who was under no pressure at the time), then that is meat and drink to mee and the other centre back (cant be arsed to find out correct spelling) - they know that they will gobble that up all day every day, and then we will be slated for playing a game where every time we clear it the ball comes straight back at us :roll: Goes without saying though, that arteta sticking with a tactic without having the players to play that way, is 100% on him and is far more dangerous and stupid than hoofing it long.
Make your mind up ffs. :lol: Basically you've agreed with me after starting off by disagreeing with me. :lol:

It does not matter even one fuck if Boomerang cannot win headers. Pragmatism is EVERYTHING in football. What is pragmatic is to risk losing the ball high up the pitch where there is no real risk and then scrap to win it back. To constantly risk losing it on your fucking 18 yard line, from your own goal kick, and then watch the ensuing panic, is lunacy. :roll:

Its Wengeresque to try playing out from the back with incapable morons like Linda, Sideshow and fucking Xhakatard involved. Delusional is an understatement.



I realised that halfway through but honestly I was too tired to think straight at that stage :oops: :oops:

In summation ( :wink: ) we should play it long purely because it is as you say the more pragmatic option, but make no mistake we will soon be hammered in the media for keep giving the ball back to the opposition.
As NB123 also said, playing out from the back worked when we went through partey cos he is able to do it, but that swiss shit is fcuking shit :censored:
:lol: :wink:

Agreed Partey has it. The rest though.... scares the shit out of me everytime they do it. Xhakatard today was worse than a ten year old for their goal. Instant panic followed by incompetence wrapped up in stupidity.

xisstential
Posts: 4265
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 am

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by xisstential »

Xhaka's problem, of which there are so so many, but today in particular, was that he was on his right foot. The pass was piss poor and weak in keeping with the weakness of that feeble right peg. There is no way he can be excused either because he went toward Leno looking for the ball. You would think Leno, after playing behind this lump, which is starting to feel like decades, would know NOT to give him the ball.

nut flush gooner
Posts: 3497
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by nut flush gooner »

The goal was Leno’s fault as much as Xhaka’s.

Leno should know better than putting the ball in a position where xhaka had no choice but to use his wooden leg.

I have now come to the conclusion we not only sold the better goalkeeper, but based on what I have seen Martinez is the best goalkeeper in the PL this season. For sure he would have chipped the ball out in that situation rather than trusted xhaka.

Redarmy
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: Avenell Road

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:23 am
Xhaka's problem, of which there are so so many, but today in particular, was that he was on his right foot. The pass was piss poor and weak in keeping with the weakness of that feeble right peg. There is no way he can be excused either because he went toward Leno looking for the ball. You would think Leno, after playing behind this lump, which is starting to feel like decades, would know NOT to give him the ball.
Agreed Leno is instructed to play out from the back.....Xaha went for the ball calling for it, previously looking around...he had time to pass it out but his lack of technique he had another touch which closed it down...still the effort to pass was lazy, he could clearly see woods in his way...doubt you will see anything similar in the premier for a long time
Xaha is a shockingly bad player....cant watch the games now while he plays...its that bad

User avatar
herbert
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:25 am
Location: london

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by herbert »

1-0 up with 6 or 7 minutes until half time then the need to draw the oppo on to you to create space is less important and my goalie and defenders are going to be told to go long

Post Reply