Do you feel valued as a fan?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Thynker

Do you feel valued as a fan?

Post by Thynker »

As an international fan, I don't feel the affinity with the club that an N5 resident may.
However, far from the days of local lads representing the local area, modern teams appear to be full of mercenaries, not overly loyal to the history/geography.

Essentially the fans are a cash cow these days. The club cares not about your support/history but about your expiry date and last 3 digits.

Thoughts?

augie

Re: Do you feel valued as a fan?

Post by augie »

Doesnt matter whether you are from N5 or outer mongolia these day - you are not a fan you are a customer, and an under appreciated customer at that :evil:

I do wonder if the ban on fans attending games might reset the attitudes the clubs have towards their fans a small bit though :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Well if you’re a silver like me who got taken up the wrong’un by the club last season and had their membership money trousered then the answer would be no :lol:

Aside for that I don’t think the club (or any club in the PL for that matter) gives much of a fuck about their fans. You can see that from the ludicrous kick of times for away games to suit the TV companies over travelling supporters, the price of attending a game these days, the way they pay lip service to fan groups and a host of other examples.

So basically it’s thanks for your interest in our affairs, keep giving us you’re hard earned wonga and shut the fuck up.

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Valued...not a chance. I gave up my 2 seats in wonga's 2nd last season and with it a letter to the club detailing how i'll always be an arsenal fan but i refuse to be taken for a ride because of my allegiances.

I used to fork out for sky..BT..the lot just to watch Arsenal, Like Arsenal the tv companies are their to just hoover up your hard earned with 0 fooks given as to if you feel valued or not.

In younger years i'd travel and sometimes do 2 trips a week for league and then CL games...it sopmetimes worked out cheaper than staying in a hotel for the days inbetween

So here i am in MArch 2021, Still watching the gunners and hoping for the best....but with all the loot still in my back pocket. The bean counters at Arsenal and BT and SKY can go fook themselves.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

We still have support in N5 area although nothing like in the 1970s when there was a large working class population in the area including many Irish, very gentrified now although we have a great following from the black community.

Doubt if anyone will say they are valued as a fan to be honest....so remote and distant from the club and players now

Looking back we did seem to have a stronger connection with the players, and the whole atmosphere was different then, good and bad
sort of admired the Club, with the Chapman bust and marble halls they seemed to have real class....thats long since disappeared

Thinking about it dont really like too much about the club nowadays, owners, players, VAR, no Highbury, even most of the fans

Strangely still fucking hurts when they loose though :D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

As augie said, these days it doesn't matter if you're from round the corner or Australia - the club will take your money and offer you nothing in return. The 'Fever Pitch' days of local fans walking to the ground are long since gone and like most 'elite' clubs its a tourists day out sold to the highest bidder. There isn't an Arsenal person on the board these days so the Ken Friar, David Dein era has passed and a bunch of faceless marketeers and commercial goons run the club as they would if they owned a property development company or marketing agency. The club is full of c.unts from the owner downwards, and couldn't give two fucks what any of the fans think or say. As long as the IRR calculation works in the investment model, who gives a shit

I live little more than 30 mins away by train/tube and I know fans who live in Islington and I can safely say everyone feels more distant from the club than they have ever done before

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

N5 was never the working class core of the clubs support, that still remains as Holloway postcodes N7 / N19 & N4 Finsbury Park including parts of N4 are actually in Hackney & Harrigey. N7 has 50K, double that N5's population of 25,000, N19 has 34K, N4 has 47K.

N1 is Islington, Cally Road, Hoxton / SW Hackney has 91K, another solid Gooner support base. :barscarf:

Wherever you're from, the club don't give a shite about you, they want your money! :cussing: :box:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:29 pm
N5 was never the working class core of the clubs support, that still remains as Holloway postcodes N7 / N19 & N4 Finsbury Park including parts of N4 are actually in Hackney & Harrigey. N7 has 50K, double that N5's population of 25,000, N19 has 34K, N4 has 47K.

N1 is Islington, Cally Road, Hoxton / SW Hackney has 91K, another solid Gooner support base. :barscarf:

Wherever you're from, the club don't give a shite about you, they want your money! :cussing: :box:
Agreed was really referring to local support rather than just N5, it was a shitty area 50 years ago around the ground....but just semantics.....when me and a few mates was supporting very few from West London...mainly North London but remember support from all over areas all over London, East and South and remote places like Bromley, Kent and Essex .....more multi national now as its a day out on the tourists checklist

Anyone who goes dont matter were they are from at the end of the day if they support the club

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Not in over 15 years....

Love Arsenal FC hate the owner, Board and quite a few of of the lazyGreedyCUNTS working there (that includes some of the players & coaching / Squad staff).

The club has changed beyond all recognition and HAS lost its Soul.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I haven't felt valued by the club in years. Doesn't matter where you live, you're just a number these days. There's no personal touch there there these days, no proper face for anything and no contact to write to when issues need raising and you feel like standards aren't being upheld.
Having said that, there are still some very genuine and personable people there but as always, they tend to be the least appreciated and the least visible.

John F

Post by John F »

What was amusing to me was the FA cup screening against Hull.I have found the bowl to be a sterile expensive place that left me missing Highbury .The screening day was totally different.I think it was a tenner to get in,everyone around me appeared pissed .The atmosphere was brilliant and there was a pitch invasion that the club threatened to turn off the screen if they didn't get off.I bet the club thought that is why they have priced the riff raff out.I loved it and thought at the time if the stands were full of people like these every match instead of the happy clappers it would worth a few extra points a season.The club doesn't want supporters it wants customers who will spend on merchandise.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Crikey you lot are needier than women :lol:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Now we are heading into thenew era of no season ticket but a rewards card backed by Visa . Details so far are sketchy but itseems on first reading that the stadium is going cashless and anything you spend in the ground . Programme , pint of tepid lager or a pint of stale bitter , Bovril , incredibly over priced , poor quality food will be put on this card and at some time in the future rewards will be given on how much you have contributed to the cause .
Fans never again . Supporters in the propping up of the clubs finances sense definitely.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:46 am
:coffeespit:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:46 am
Blimey, that's a risky thing to say today of all days.