Whatever happened to......

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Whatever happened to......

Post by Retro Gunner »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:25 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm
I've heard from Xistential that you're all missing me. :lol: :wink:

Unfortunately for you lot, I'm alive and well, so I'll be back to post pearls of wisdom once again, in the vain hope of educating a few on here....especially the Dublin mod !

On a serious note, being a Gooner has become hard, tedious and unenjoyable work. That's nothing to do with entitlement, but a lot to do with around 15 years of car crash management of our club and the killing of all hope and fun. I often wish that I could stop caring, but as for most of us, that appears to be an impossibility, even though the victories are no longer as sweet and the defeats sting far less (sometimes not at all :( ).

I'm watching a club where the overall direction of travel has been inexorably backwards for well over a decade and surely football at any level is about some green shoots of progress every now and then and some hope to cling to ? Sadly, I think we all know that as long as the Kroenkes own the club (quite apart from having an ill-equipt, floundering novice at the helm), then there is no hope. Solidly mid table this season and if the management structure remains as it is for next season, then we'll have a relegation battle to look foward to. Happy days indeed.

Hope I've cheered you all up.....and don't worry, I'll make sure I'm back with more stirring, uplifting messages. :lol: :barscarf:
Good to have you back with us Retro :barscarf:

Happy days indeed.

Thanks Stuart, hope you're well mate. What a horrendous year it's been...Covid, lockdowns, economic misery....oh and the Arsenal !

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

xisstential wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:47 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:49 pm
I've heard from Xistential that you're all missing me. :lol: :wink:

Unfortunately for you lot, I'm alive and well, so I'll be back to post pearls of wisdom once again, in the vain hope of educating a few on here....especially the Dublin mod !

On a serious note, being a Gooner has become hard, tedious and unenjoyable work. That's nothing to do with entitlement, but a lot to do with around 15 years of car crash management of our club and the killing of all hope and fun. I often wish that I could stop caring, but as for most of us, that appears to be an impossibility, even though the victories are no longer as sweet and the defeats sting far less (sometimes not at all :( ).

I'm watching a club where the overall direction of travel has been inexorably backwards for well over a decade and surely football at any level is about some green shoots of progress every now and then and some hope to cling to ? Sadly, I think we all know that as long as the Kroenkes own the club (quite apart from having an ill-equipt, floundering novice at the helm), then there is no hope. Solidly mid table this season and if the management structure remains as it is for next season, then we'll have a relegation battle to look foward to. Happy days indeed.

Hope I've cheered you all up.....and don't worry, I'll make sure I'm back with more stirring, uplifting messages. :lol: :barscarf:
I never said that....I said they were all talking crap about you behind your back and you better get back on there and defend yourself :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, that probably is closer to the truth ! :lol: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:59 pm
TA6?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhrr0XGqXo
Big Tone.... Great player, Legend, leader.

But also always been a complete fruit loop. :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:10 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:59 pm
TA6?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wGhrr0XGqXo
Big Tone.... Great player, Legend, leader.

But also always been a complete fruit loop. :wink:

Sean

Post by Sean »

Hello lads.

I'm touched (No, not like that! :lol: ) that a few people have missed me on here. I have met several top Gooners from this forum during the protests against TOF. I am surviving, as usual. The fact is that for the past few years I have only checked in every six months or so to post my thoughts, as things have gotten so miserable with the club. This season is case in point.

While I enjoyed regularly posting here for my first couple of years, starting some match threads, doing write-ups of the games and having some banter with some of you (Is CorkBarry's thread still going? RIP that MILF thread though...), I just don't feel I can contribute much, at the previous standard, if I am not watching the games live.

The 2017-18 season I couldn't bear to watch, as TOF got that final undeserved contract despite the protests. The 2018-19 season I couldn't watch live after that depressingly familiar first day defeat in Dick's first league game; I just needed some separation and stuck to the highlights on MotD, but I hoped that Dick did well and it was a shame that it all went so wrong at the end of the season, which hung over into the next season and Dick was sacked.

While I did watch almost all of the 2019-20 season live, and was unhappy that we hired a rookie (we should have gotten Ancelotti), it got so miserable that I didn't want to resume posting with a similar feeling to the last decade of TOF. What more can be said about The Syrup's disinterested mismanagement of the club? While I enjoyed the FA Cup win and hoped that Arteta could become the second coming of GG after all, this season has showed that it clearly papers over the utterly dismal league performances and, tellingly, league points average under Arteta, whose unjustified Napoleon complex is alienating much of the players.

So, this season? Fuck it. I don't even bother with MotD anymore; I only follow what's going on via a couple of Arsenal podcasts and that is quite enough for me. We started this season fairly bright, collapsed, finally started playing the kids and got some decent results, but we always drop points and lose games we should not be, like last night. Mid-table mediocrity has arrived. I get the FT result alerts and all these defeats and dropped points hurts slightly less because I didn't put myself through it. Respect to those of you who still do.

At the end of the season, I suppose I'll come back to post my summary, but I have basically summed it all up already. It's just a question of where in mid-table we finish. It is telling that I feel the need to keep checking our points average, just to project where we might finish (currently on for about 53 points, which would put us 11th last season; Europa qualification is surely out of reach and I'll be very surprised if we win it this season). I am at the point that anything over 40 points is a bonus.

Perhaps a break from Europe next season would do us good (à la Chelsea finishing 10th and winning the title the next season); but I'm sure this club's management would certainly find a way to fuck that up. It's not like they hold on to lame duck managers, or rely on cheap, inexperienced replacements, eh? It certainly looks like we're going to extend our dry run of League titles beyond the historical 18 years of 1953-71 and 1971-89. Who would ever have thought that was possible after completing the unbeaten season?

Anyway, I am glad that this super league farce was slapped down in a rare victory for football supporters (though it seems some of them have not given up trying again in the future) and I am sure this ridiculous Europa Conference League isn't worth the air miles, especially during a bloody pandemic. If they absolutely had to resurrect a third European competition, it should have been the old Cup Winners' Cup; two-leg knockout ties all the way to the final, like it was back in the good old days before football (and our club in particular) turned into a corporate entity.

Keep safe!

UTA :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sean wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:18 am
Hello lads.

I'm touched (No, not like that! :lol: ) that a few people have missed me on here. I have met several top Gooners from this forum during the protests against TOF. I am surviving, as usual. The fact is that for the past few years I have only checked in every six months or so to post my thoughts, as things have gotten so miserable with the club. This season is case in point.

While I enjoyed regularly posting here for my first couple of years, starting some match threads, doing write-ups of the games and having some banter with some of you (Is CorkBarry's thread still going? RIP that MILF thread though...), I just don't feel I can contribute much, at the previous standard, if I am not watching the games live.

The 2017-18 season I couldn't bear to watch, as TOF got that final undeserved contract despite the protests. The 2018-19 season I couldn't watch live after that depressingly familiar first day defeat in Dick's first league game; I just needed some separation and stuck to the highlights on MotD, but I hoped that Dick did well and it was a shame that it all went so wrong at the end of the season, which hung over into the next season and Dick was sacked.

While I did watch almost all of the 2019-20 season live, and was unhappy that we hired a rookie (we should have gotten Ancelotti), it got so miserable that I didn't want to resume posting with a similar feeling to the last decade of TOF. What more can be said about The Syrup's disinterested mismanagement of the club? While I enjoyed the FA Cup win and hoped that Arteta could become the second coming of GG after all, this season has showed that it clearly papers over the utterly dismal league performances and, tellingly, league points average under Arteta, whose unjustified Napoleon complex is alienating much of the players.

So, this season? Fuck it. I don't even bother with MotD anymore; I only follow what's going on via a couple of Arsenal podcasts and that is quite enough for me. We started this season fairly bright, collapsed, finally started playing the kids and got some decent results, but we always drop points and lose games we should not be, like last night. Mid-table mediocrity has arrived. I get the FT result alerts and all these defeats and dropped points hurts slightly less because I didn't put myself through it. Respect to those of you who still do.

At the end of the season, I suppose I'll come back to post my summary, but I have basically summed it all up already. It's just a question of where in mid-table we finish. It is telling that I feel the need to keep checking our points average, just to project where we might finish (currently on for about 53 points, which would put us 11th last season; Europa qualification is surely out of reach and I'll be very surprised if we win it this season). I am at the point that anything over 40 points is a bonus.

Perhaps a break from Europe next season would do us good (à la Chelsea finishing 10th and winning the title the next season); but I'm sure this club's management would certainly find a way to fuck that up. It's not like they hold on to lame duck managers, or rely on cheap, inexperienced replacements, eh? It certainly looks like we're going to extend our dry run of League titles beyond the historical 18 years of 1953-71 and 1971-89. Who would ever have thought that was possible after completing the unbeaten season?

Anyway, I am glad that this super league farce was slapped down in a rare victory for football supporters (though it seems some of them have not given up trying again in the future) and I am sure this ridiculous Europa Conference League isn't worth the air miles, especially during a bloody pandemic. If they absolutely had to resurrect a third European competition, it should have been the old Cup Winners' Cup; two-leg knockout ties all the way to the final, like it was back in the good old days before football (and our club in particular) turned into a corporate entity.

Keep safe!

Sean,

Glad you are well mate and as always a very well thought out and eloquent post.

Fully understand your levels of disinterest, the goals against, cock ups, VAR decisions no longer bother me...I watched last nights game in silence, so really do wonder why I still put myself through it -

it’s the hope isn’t it ?

The hope that finally, things will have changed, that the enthusiasm of ESR, Tierney, Saka and Martinelli, will somehow overcome the apathy and couldn’t give a damn attitude of the majority of the rest ( not to mention the shitness and brain farts )

More and more, I find levels of happiness in listening to music rather than watching football, haven’t attended a match at the bowl for probably 7 seasons now and really do wonder if I ever will again.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sean wrote:
Hello lads.

Keep safe!

Great to hear from you Sean and glad to hear you are doing well. Don't be a stranger mate. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sean wrote:
Hello lads.

Keep safe!

Really glad to know you are okay Sean, yup! You are missed, but as long as you are safe & sound, that'll do (for now)

Btw the Milf thread is still going :-P :wink:

As always an excellent post and saying much of what I think also, as DB says mate- you don't have to post reams etc..just pop in now and again with some of your inimitable wit! :D

Take Care

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

So there I was scrolling through Twitter and something reminded me of this place. Vainly I did a search on my Username and found this recent post... :D
Glad to see that I'm remembered. Thanks DB and Mantis!

This is probably the first time I logged in since I left.
Not sure really what to say here except that I'm fine and well. Still a season ticket holder not that you get to attend games these days. :roll:

Certainly some great names on the list.
Still chat to Rebs on Twitter.

UTA! :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Boomer wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:22 pm
So there I was scrolling through Twitter and something reminded me of this place. Vainly I did a search on my Username and found this recent post... :D
Glad to see that I'm remembered. Thanks DB and Mantis!

This is probably the first time I logged in since I left.
Not sure really what to say here except that I'm fine and well. Still a season ticket holder not that you get to attend games these days. :roll:

Certainly some great names on the list.
Still chat to Rebs on Twitter.

UTA! :barscarf:
Good to hear from you Boomer - stick around …… :barscarf:

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Thanks StuartL but I'll pass. :)
I had my reasons for leaving (see the 'Boomer' Thread) and I have to stick by it.

Anyway just letting you know I'm safe and well. :barscarf:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Whatever happened to Number5?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Boomer wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:44 pm
Thanks StuartL but I'll pass. :)
I had my reasons for leaving (see the 'Boomer' Thread) and I have to stick by it.

Anyway just letting you know I'm safe and well. :barscarf:
Great to hear from you mate. Would love you to stick around - but fully understand if you won't. Be safe buddy. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:46 pm
Whatever happened to Number5?
Don't know mate. He was a great funny bloke but just stopped posting suddenly. Hope he's OK.

My old mod buddy I HATE HLEB also stopped posting suddenly and I had an email address and phone number for him. Tried to contact him a couple times and the email bounced back and the phone was disconnected. Again I hope he's OK. Another great funny guy. I think he was having a few health issues. :|