Saliva Prague H Europa lge Quarter Final First leg Thurs 8th April KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Saliva Prague H Europa lge Quarter Final First leg Thurs 8th April KO 8pm

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:25 pm
Dream on- we are going to beat these over two legs before getting everything we deserve against Villareal !
I reckon they'll beat us, however a defeat to Emery's Villareal, would probably be much more damaging to Arteta.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:42 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Dream on- we are going to beat these over two legs before getting everything we deserve against Villareal !
I reckon they'll beat us, however a defeat to Emery's Villareal, would probably be much more damaging to Arteta.
Under Wenger lite, I expect us to do a Wenger and dig out a face saving result when he needs it, before flopping on the bigger stage of the SF or Final.

Do you honestly think the club will do anything about his position if we lose this QF mate?

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

The problem isn’t Arteta OR Kroenke. Clearly it’s both.
With Kroenke at the helm, realistically our achievable ambition is scraping Top 4 and possibly the odd cup. So glory days are basically off the cards whoever the manager is (I think we’ve all finally cottoned onto this, no?). BUT that doesn’t excuse Arteta’s woeful underperformance thus far.

But I still give him half of next season to show he’s got the hang of it, purely because the managerial merry go round is rarely beneficial for clubs with middling disposable resources/ambition - which is what we are under Kroenke.

If we are not in the Top 5 at Christmas he needs to leave, that’s giving him a reasonable go.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:51 am
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Under Wenger lite, I expect us to do a Wenger and dig out a face saving result when he needs it, before flopping on the bigger stage of the SF or Final.

Do you honestly think the club will do anything about his position if we lose this QF mate?
Maybe not Stevo, it would however increase the pressure on him, the more pressure applied, will ultimately lead to his collapse.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:58 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:51 am
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Maybe not Stevo, it would however increase the pressure on him, the more pressure applied, will ultimately lead to his collapse.
I think if fans were back in the stadium I'd agree but its almost like every game is a free hit now

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just had a look at this lot - 13 points clear at the top of their league, played 24 won 20 drawn 4. They are going to be their Invincibles!

Perhaps I underestimated them coming up against our little snowflakes!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

We’ve turned up for 45 minutes out of the last 180 we’ve played, whether we’re capable of responding to any sort of crisis with a result and performance against this shower is very fucking debatable.

We will be haunted if it’s nothing major with Tierney looking at the way his knee bent last night and as much as I bitch about side show if he’s done for the season it’s another blow to our slim hope of winning this thing because him and Gabriel are actually out best pairing back there.

This lot could knock easily knock us out, as could Villarreal and if we were to somehow overcome both you know there’s an inevitable dicking to united in store for the final.

What a fucking time to be alive :suicide:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Side show just posted on Insta that he’s had a procedure in hospital so that’s him fucked for the season and for good with us.

Time for Mari and Gabriel because we can’t have Holding being destroyed in the air by midgets like Sterling and Jota any more :banghead:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Gabriel was shot to pieces by the end yesterday. He seems to be going backwards.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:37 pm
Side show just posted on Insta that he’s had a procedure in hospital so that’s him fucked for the season and for good with us.

Time for Mari and Gabriel because we can’t have Holding being destroyed in the air by midgets like Sterling and Jota any more :banghead:
Agree with the call for Mari - I make him the best of an awful bunch right now. If you're talking about the pre-COVID Gabriel I'd also agree, but the post COVID one has been absolutely abysmal. Turned inside out by average strikers, awful in possession, looks like he's in a permanent daydream. I'd rather see Calum Chambers back there than any of the rest of them

markyp

Post by markyp »

Let's just lose and hope it brings the curtain down on the shit show that is Artetas reign,if any mongs are still trusting the process after a defeat here then I give up.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

We should be using this game to scout new signings. Hard-working tactically astute hungry players that we can pick up for reasonable fees. It’s worked for West Ham with Soucek and Coufal. It can work for us. Stop chasing overpriced crap like Pepe. Go back to the old George Graham days of signing hungry ambitious players.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 pm
. Stop chasing overpriced crap like Pepe. Go back to the old George Graham days of signing hungry ambitious players.
Totally agree. There are 4 hungry ambitious players in the Arsenal squad (Smith Rowe, Saka, Tierney & Martinelli). They should be first choices. Arsenal need 3 defenders and a keeper well ahead of the likes of Odegaard. George signed Dixon, Bould, Winterburn and Seaman as he saw the deficiencies and addressed them. Captain Black sold our best keeper :banghead:

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Arteta needs to make a statement and drop Aubameyang.

Ideally Odegaard and ESR would be the two 8s but is Partey/Xhaka good enough to be the solo DM? Neither will have to slot in at LB now Tierney injured.

Martinelli needa to start. Surely he'll be eager to impress.
Aubameyang needs to be shown that his effort level is just not good enough.

Mari to start at LCB until season's end.

Selling Martinez was an awful mistake. As is playing from the back.

As Roy Keane said, the players should not be calling Arteta, Mikel....
Fergie certainly wouldn't have been so familiar.
Arteta needs to get tough.

Ceballos has done nothing this year to deserve a permanent contract. Has been very poor. But then again, he's not a DCM. He is an attacker.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:03 pm
We should be using this game to scout new signings. Hard-working tactically astute hungry players that we can pick up for reasonable fees. It’s worked for West Ham with Soucek and Coufal. It can work for us. Stop chasing overpriced crap like Pepe. Go back to the old George Graham days of signing hungry ambitious players.
Say that to most modern day football snobs and you'll hear "ahh, but football's changed now". That is absolute bollocks of course, it's just that clubs like ours wouldn't lower themselves by looking at those teams to bring in new talent, because the likes of Kia Joorabchian are knocking on Edu's door trying to wedge themselves up by offloading some overpriced c.unt. Tierney and Robertson are the best left backs in the league - one costing little more than £20m and the other coming from Hull. It can be done - we just choose not to on a regular enough basis. Look in the list of leading scorers and you'll see Bamford, Calvert-Lewin, Vardy, Ollie Watkins, Calum Wilson and Danny Ings. No, no - can't be doing that when we can spend 72m on some dud from Ligue 1 on a mega contract that made his agent for life

The players with the most tackles in the league? Hojberg and Luke Ayling.

We are an absolute joke of a club - for the past 20 years our academy has been dog shit and produced barely a single top drawer player. All of a sudden we have a couple on our hands and we're out signing loan duds like that slippers wearing prick Ceballos. West Ham are an example of a team who haven't spent big but have players that are hungry, playing for the manager and have an outside chance of a CL placing