David Rocastle - Gone but never forgotten - 31 March 2001

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: David Rocastle - Gone but never forgotten - 31 March 2001

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:20 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:54 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSRjIB ... l=g00nerak

One of the early brawls vs Manure following super swedes sublime goal. See Rocky flying in, it's almost as if he was gutted he wasn't first there.

But that was Arsenal in those days, one for all and all for one. A proper team.
Even back then the bias was obvious. I know Winterburn flies in and deserved a booking but how the fùck McClair and Irwin weren't sent off for booting Nigel while he was on the floor.

That horrible cùnt McClair kicked him 3 times.

Can't recall if it was before or after this game but I remember Nigel getting in McClair's face after he missed a pen at Highbury in a cup game.

No love lost between the pair. :lol:
What a great clip - seeing 'hardman' McClair kicking a man on the ground and then promptly shit his pants as TA6 and Mickey come piling in

Such a spirit to that team. Even Wenger's first couple of teams had that nasty edge......remember the Sun keeping score of how many red cards we'd had under him. Players like Freddie, Keown, Lauren would always be in there amongst it like when that horse faced c.unt missed his penalty

Compare that to 'modern' Arsenal with fat boy Santos swapping shirts at half time, Xhaka cuddling his Leeds mate who'd flopped to the floor after Pepe's eyelid grazed against him. An Arsenal leader from the GG era or early Wenger would never have allowed that fucking nonsense

Genuinely enjoyed watching that clip of the team flying in !

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:07 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:20 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:54 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSRjIB ... l=g00nerak

One of the early brawls vs Manure following super swedes sublime goal. See Rocky flying in, it's almost as if he was gutted he wasn't first there.

But that was Arsenal in those days, one for all and all for one. A proper team.
Even back then the bias was obvious. I know Winterburn flies in and deserved a booking but how the fùck McClair and Irwin weren't sent off for booting Nigel while he was on the floor.

That horrible cùnt McClair kicked him 3 times.

Can't recall if it was before or after this game but I remember Nigel getting in McClair's face after he missed a pen at Highbury in a cup game.

No love lost between the pair. :lol:
What a great clip - seeing 'hardman' McClair kicking a man on the ground and then promptly shit his pants as TA6 and Mickey come piling in

Such a spirit to that team. Even Wenger's first couple of teams had that nasty edge......remember the Sun keeping score of how many red cards we'd had under him. Players like Freddie, Keown, Lauren would always be in there amongst it like when that horse faced c.unt missed his penalty

Compare that to 'modern' Arsenal with fat boy Santos swapping shirts at half time, Xhaka cuddling his Leeds mate who'd flopped to the floor after Pepe's eyelid grazed against him. An Arsenal leader from the GG era or early Wenger would never have allowed that fucking nonsense

Genuinely enjoyed watching that clip of the team flying in !
Incredible bias in the fact that McClair the sneaky fucker was not sent off....still prevalent today

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Great to see the banner in the ground today - well done to the club

Shame on the 11 melts that took to the field and barely broke sweat. If ever a contrast between the past and the present could be any clearer....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Can we please not turn this Rocky tribute thread into yet another thread slating Arteta and the current players lads? Cheers.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Like others I love watching the clips of us at Old Trafford back in the days where our team had character, skill and fighting spirit.

Something that always irritates me though when I hear talk of past Man United v Arsenal clashes is how it is nearly always portrayed as being about Wenger v Fergie, Keane v Vieira, Keown v vanHorseface, etc. All just Sky/PL stuff obviously :roll:

It really began as a Graham v Fergie thing. Two fiery scots given the task of resurrecting giants of the English game and trying to break the Merseyside domination. And George managed it first :barscarf:

Those who acknowledge football existed before Sky all know about the brawl in 1990 and the famous 1988 FA Cup game (Winterburn v McClair) at Highbury. But it was literally Fergie's first game managing a team against Arsenal in 1986/87 where the bad blood started.

Arsenal were on what was a club record unbeaten run at the time but lost the game 2-0 - the 2nd goal sealing the defeat in the dying minutes. Fergie got his team fired up to kick us off the pitch - and was aided by a weak, spineless referee. It is uncanny just how how similar that is to what happened 17 years later (which itself is now 17 years ago :shock: )

Rocky got sent off but somehow that thug Whiteside didn't. And what a nasty little fuckwit ex-spud Terry Gibson was :censored: I think its worth a watch despite the result even if just to see the contrast between todays and the (IMO) far superior game of the past.

The game is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAM9zEjTMO0

Sorry if its bad taste posting a clip of us losing a game and Rocky being sent off on his tribute thread but to me that match highlights his passion, bravery, aggression and desire … as well as the team spirit Graham quickly instilled and which was still prevalent well into the Wenger era.

Rocky's red card that day meant he missed the 1st leg of the famous 1987 Littlewoods cup Semi Final saga against the Scum. We lost that game 1-0 and his absence looked to have cost us dear at the time. But we all know what happened next and what Rocky did in the dying seconds of the replay at SHL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geJbTwOQoQU

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

22 years since Rocky's passing.

Always will be remembered.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

RIP Rocky, brilliant player ans genuine nice guy

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

R.I.P Rocky. Absolute Legend.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

RIP Rocky
was at the game against Tottenham with the minutes silence credit to Spurs fans that day
Legend

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:41 am
22 years since Rocky's passing.

Always will be remembered.

Loved 🥰 Rocky

He would be proud of this current team

brucers

Post by brucers »

My 2 main memories of Rocky.....getting kicked all over the park by Whiteside at OT and getting sent off for retaliating in the absence of the ref doing anything. 2nd, that goal at WHL, League Cup semi replay.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

brucers wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:26 pm
My 2 main memories of Rocky.....getting kicked all over the park by Whiteside at OT and getting sent off for retaliating in the absence of the ref doing anything. 2nd, that goal at WHL, League Cup semi replay.
I would say mine were the banger at OT when he made Ince and Robson eat dirt then chipped Schmeichal, hit the bar and in, his lob v Villa in the yellow away kit and a screamer at Anfield in the cup in 88/89 season, when we outplayed them, which I be,ieve gave us the confidence to win in on the 26thMay later in the season
🟡🔵🟡🔵🟡🔵

brucers

Post by brucers »

I was not at those games you mention but I do remember the bar and in one. I was at Anfield on the 26th. We certainly was not in awe of the Scousers that night. Hopefully we see that again in a couple of weeks time!

quote="Stuart L (2)" post_id=1219914 time=1680288050 user_id=8879]
brucers wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:26 pm
I would say mine were the banger at OT when he made Ince and Robson eat dirt then chipped Schmeichal, hit the bar and in, his lob v Villa in the yellow away kit and a screamer at Anfield in the cup in 88/89 season, when we outplayed them, which I be,ieve gave us the confidence to win in on the 26thMay later in the season
🟡🔵🟡🔵🟡🔵
[/quote]

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

There's another timeline where he's at every game we play and on the bench like Pat Rice used to be. There's the timeline where he's in those photos of us winning titles in 2002 and 2004 as a member of staff, wearing a suit and tie and looking like a male model like he always did. There's the timeline where he's on TV and radio most weeks discussing football and always loving us. Then there's that timeline where he and Wrighty have a podcast or a radio show or a YouTube channel or whatever these days and we all watch and every week we just fall in love all over again.
Those timelines are out there somewhere, in our heads and dreams and hearts. That man, honestly, that man and what he meant to us. He was pure and beautiful and wonderul and he deserved longer because you know what, he would have made the world better in every way.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:51 pm
There's another timeline where he's at every game we play and on the bench like Pat Rice used to be. There's the timeline where he's in those photos of us winning titles in 2002 and 2004 as a member of staff, wearing a suit and tie and looking like a male model like he always did. There's the timeline where he's on TV and radio most weeks discussing football and always loving us. Then there's that timeline where he and Wrighty have a podcast or a radio show or a YouTube channel or whatever these days and we all watch and every week we just fall in love all over again.
Those timelines are out there somewhere, in our heads and dreams and hearts. That man, honestly, that man and what he meant to us. He was pure and beautiful and wonderul and he deserved longer because you know what, he would have made the world better in every way.
Beautiful stiff. Great post! 8)