David Rocastle - Gone but never forgotten - 31 March 2001

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Almunia is a clown

Re: David Rocastle - Gone but never forgotten - 31 March 2001

Post by Almunia is a clown »

:barscarf: RIP Rocky Gooner Legend! :barscarf:

John F

Post by John F »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:57 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:22 pm
Apart from Mickey's goal at Anfield, I doubt I'll ever be happier then when Rocky stuck that one in at the lane to win the 87 League Cup semi final

Rest in peace forever great man

If ever there was a player where you could truly sing "he's one of our own", it would be this fella

:barscarf:
Rocky will always be famous for that goal, made even sweeter by the tannoy announcement at half time telling the spud fans how they could apply for their cup final tickets.

In those days, Arsenal was a side that would only have been inspired by those words echoing around the stadium. The turnaround epitomised our never say die spirit. And boy did we make them look like the bunch of twats.
The ticket announcement was in the 2nd leg and we were 2-0 down on aggregate at halftime.I heard the tannoy announcement and remember feeling totally dejected which made it all the sweeter when Quinn got the 2nd goal. Our end just erupted and it was the best atmosphere I have ever been in and my only regret was that I didn't make the replay to see Rocky win it and that I was so drunk before the final that in the sunshine I started to get a migraine at half time.I was going to most games back then home and away and it was a real privilege to see such a legend as Rocky." O Rocky Rocky ,Rocky Rocky Rocky Rocasltle" was his song. A Legend.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebSRjIB ... l=g00nerak

One of the early brawls vs Manure following super swedes sublime goal. See Rocky flying in, it's almost as if he was gutted he wasn't first there.

But that was Arsenal in those days, one for all and all for one. A proper team.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:22 am
I was working for our great club in the late 80's. Rocky and Mickey Thomas became good friends of mine. We were all the same age and had lots in common. This will always be a very sad anniversary for me.

David certainly was the exceptional man that so many people say he was, even at that young age.

My car broke down one day so I'd arranged for my Mum to pick me up after work. She came into the marble halls and I was waiting having a chat and a laugh with Rocky and Niall Quinn. I introduced her to them and Rocky gave a huge smile, said "Hello Mum" and gave her a hug. Mum was well chuffed if a little embarrased because he was "such a handsome young boy" :lol: She talked about it for ages and still remembers it to this day.

It was my absolute pleasure to know that gem of a man and be able to call him my mate.

Truly down to earth and totally appreciating where he was, who he played for and the honoured position he was in.

God bless you Rocky.
Great story mate.

Great player and obviously a top man, RIP Rocky.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:54 am

One of the early brawls vs Manure following super swedes sublime goal. See Rocky flying in, it's almost as if he was gutted he wasn't first there.

Even back then the bias was obvious. I know Winterburn flies in and deserved a booking but how the fùck McClair and Irwin weren't sent off for booting Nigel while he was on the floor.

That horrible cùnt McClair kicked him 3 times.

Can't recall if it was before or after this game but I remember Nigel getting in McClair's face after he missed a pen at Highbury in a cup game.

No love lost between the pair. :lol:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:20 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:

Even back then the bias was obvious. I know Winterburn flies in and deserved a booking but how the fùck McClair and Irwin weren't sent off for booting Nigel while he was on the floor.

Can't recall if it was before or after this game but I remember Nigel getting in McClair's face after he missed a pen at Highbury in a cup game.

From memory this was our 91 title winning season, when GG bought Anders Limpar and David Seaman into the squad. The penalty miss by McClair was 87 I think in the FA Cup. Nigels nickname was nutty, but for me the hard nuts where Rocky and Davis the silent assassin. If Sealey hadnt restrained Rocky he would have taken someones head off.

Such a shame we cant remember Rocky for this weekends game vs the Scousers at the ground.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:

I fucking love that clip. Always have. That was a team. One for all and all for one is right. One in, all in. 8)

The only actual punch thrown that day was by Anders Limpar. He caught the McClair cùnt a sweet dig in the head. 8) But if Sealey hadn't grabbed Rocky then some manc arseholes were getting sparked I reckon. :lol: 8)

I also loved singing "stick your fucking two points up your arse" as CHAMPIONS that season. 8)

Oh, and that two point deduction? That was a new rule made up by the FA on the spot at the behest of the filth in the media. :censored: :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:27 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:20 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:

From memory this was our 91 title winning season, when GG bought Anders Limpar and David Seaman into the squad. The penalty miss by McClair was 87 I think in the FA Cup. Nigels nickname was nutty, but for me the hard nuts where Rocky and Davis the silent assassin. If Sealey hadnt restrained Rocky he would have taken someones head off.

Such a shame we cant remember Rocky for this weekends game vs the Scousers at the ground.
Club are dedicating the programme tomorrow to Rocky’s memory

https://scontent-lhr8-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=6089EADA

Clash

Post by Clash »

Great posts lads. Was reading through them earlier when I wasn't able to log in.

I'm not a big one for anniversary's of deaths to be honest. I will feel no more or less sad tomorrow than I do any other day when I think about Rocky but I cannot believe its been 20 years. That's more than half of his tragically short life. He certainly made a lasting impression on thousands of people in those 33 years though.

Love the reminiscing about the club during his time. Definitely my favourite era and Rocky was one of my favourites too. I miss those days.

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:52 am
nut flush gooner wrote:

I fucking love that clip. Always have. That was a team. One for all and all for one is right. One in, all in. 8)

The only actual punch thrown that day was by Anders Limpar. He caught the McClair cùnt a sweet dig in the head. 8) But if Sealey hadn't grabbed Rocky then some manc arseholes were getting sparked I reckon. :lol: 8)

I also loved singing "stick your fucking two points up your arse" as CHAMPIONS that season. 8)

Oh, and that two point deduction? That was a new rule made up by the FA on the spot at the behest of the filth in the media. :censored: :roll:
:barscarf: 8)

We suffered some scandalous punishments back then compared to other teams doing the same. The FA were easily influenced and dictated to by the media, as you say. Fucking spineless.

I also remember that PFA prick Gordon Taylor calling for us to be relegated after the brawl. What a complete :censored: I have despised him ever since and was delighted to hear of his gambling problems. Whenever he comes on screen I feel like I have to be restrained like Rocky was by Les Sealey :D

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

herbert

Post by herbert »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:53 am
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNFH-WmsQ3H ... 0mpgwo2ytz

Open letter from Wrighty
Brilliant memorys from Wrighty also loved the Rocky video he done with Saka on .com

OHHH ROCKY ROCKY

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Open letter from Wrighty
That is a beautiful letter from Wrighty. Brought a tear to this jaded old bastard's eye. Thanks for posting the link IW8G. 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:

Open letter from Wrighty
ThanksIW8goalmachine- I don’t do Twitter, or Instagram or any other social shit apart from Facebook ( and I spend far too long stalking people on there :shock: ) so wouldn’t have go to see that.

:barscarf:

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Some great posts brilliant clummo :barscarf:

Ian Wright as well brilliant, heartfelt and honest.

Like many have already said gave so many great memories being at WHL for the replay when he sent us to Wembley and out trophy drought ended was marvellous experience, great player always gave 100%.

I remember a fa cup replay at Luton couple of years earlier we were shit lost 3-0 and some players didn't even try only player that got his name sung off the pitch was Rocky when he and the team came over at the end the rest were told to do one, anyone here that went to that game will back me up the team got pelters bar him.

Would still be only middle aged a real tragedy, brilliant player and loved by every Arsenal fan I have ever met that went then or afterwards just seeing how he played gone but never forgotten Rocky.