David Rocastle - Gone but never forgotten - 31 March 2001

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

David Rocastle - Gone but never forgotten - 31 March 2001

Post by nut flush gooner »

Hard to believe it's coming up to 20 years, where did all that time go. I see his son and daughter are grown up and doing well.

I can't think of a more iconic player from that era for his never say die attitude. Shame I am rubbish at putting vids/pics on the forum. Would love to post that solo goal vs Boro. One of my fav all-time goals.

OneBardGooner

Re: David Rocastle - Gone but never forgotten - 31 March 2001

Post by OneBardGooner »

Here it is :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeW8MWsCGrE

I know you've all seen this, but in case you want to reminisce : The Rocky & Wrighty Documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2byZj3oz3U

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Hard to believe it's coming up to 20 years, where did all that time go. I see his son and daughter are grown up and doing well.

I can't think of a more iconic player from that era for his never say die attitude. Shame I am rubbish at putting vids/pics on the forum. Would love to post that solo goal vs Boro. One of my fav all-time goals.
Loved Rocky, he epitomised our team spirit , he was as skill full as any player in th eleague and worked hard for the team.

A managers dream to have and a player you would love to to play alongside :barscarf: :barscarf:

Some iconic goals of his on top of the one you posted, which was every bit as instrumental in clinching the title as they all counted at the end.

Away at Old Trafford after making a fool out of Robson and Ince before chipping Schmeical

Lovely lob v Villa at Villa park.

Stunning strike at Anfield in 88 in the Littlewoods cup

The winner at the shithole in 87

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Great thread. We've done this thread many many times and it still makes me sad to think he died so young.

31st March is my beautiful daughter's birthday so its always a mixed emotion day for me.

Loved Rocky the player and Rocky the man. A true Legend. 8)

Sad sad loss to his family and Gooners everywhere.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

I was working for our great club in the late 80's. Rocky and Mickey Thomas became good friends of mine. We were all the same age and had lots in common. This will always be a very sad anniversary for me.

David certainly was the exceptional man that so many people say he was, even at that young age.

My car broke down one day so I'd arranged for my Mum to pick me up after work. She came into the marble halls and I was waiting having a chat and a laugh with Rocky and Niall Quinn. I introduced her to them and Rocky gave a huge smile, said "Hello Mum" and gave her a hug. Mum was well chuffed if a little embarrassed because he was "such a handsome young boy" :lol: She talked about it for ages and still remembers it to this day.

It was my absolute pleasure to know that gem of a man and be able to call him my mate.

Truly down to earth and totally appreciating where he was, who he played for and the honoured position he was in.

God bless you Rocky.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:22 am
I was working for our great club in the late 80's. Rocky and Mickey Thomas became good friends of mine. We were all the same age and had lots in common. This will always be a very sad anniversary for me.

David certainly was the exceptional man that so many people say he was, even at that young age.

My car broke down one day so I'd arranged for my Mum to pick me up after work. She came into the marble halls and I was waiting having a chat and a laugh with Rocky and Niall Quinn. I introduced her to them and Rocky gave a huge smile, said "Hello Mum" and gave her a hug. Mum was well chuffed if a little embarrased because he was "such a handsome young boy" :lol: She talked about it for ages and still remembers it to this day.

It was my absolute pleasure to know that gem of a man and be able to call him my mate.

Truly down to earth and totally appreciating where he was, who he played for and the honoured position he was in.

God bless you Rocky.
Fantastic story.

Rest in peace Rocky.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

20 years? wow! Biggest memory of Rocky was that he always seemed to play with a smile on his face. Too many these days have that arrogant, sneering attitude. Such a joy to watch and also had a mean streak and a bit of steel when required. RIP.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:

My car broke down one day so I'd arranged for my Mum to pick me up after work. She came into the marble halls and I was waiting having a chat and a laugh with Rocky and Niall Quinn. I introduced her to them and Rocky gave a huge smile, said "Hello Mum" and gave her a hug. Mum was well chuffed if a little embarrased because he was "such a handsome young boy" :lol: She talked about it for ages and still remembers it to this day.

God bless you Rocky.

Great story Clummo and it doesn't surprise me as the many stories I have heard how he was with people he was a Gentleman from his very earliest years, ahead of his time as both a person and a player.

That part in the documentary when he's catching the train to work (Highbury/London Colney) in the pouring rain, it's like a genuine hero catching the same bus as me on the way to work - I mean can you imagine even a youth player doing that these days???

God Bless You Rocky.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:48 pm
Clummo99 wrote:

God bless you Rocky.

Great story Clummo and it doesn't surprise me as the many stories I have heard how he was with people he was a Gentleman from his very earliest years, ahead of his time as both a person and a player.

That part in the documentary when he's catching the train to work (Highbury/London Colney) in the pouring rain, it's like a genuine hero catching the same bus as me on the way to work - I mean can you imagine even a youth player doing that these days???

God Bless You Rocky.
Back in those days the club treated it's young players very differently. I worked in the box office and we'd often have youth players in to do a bit of "real work".

I remember one time having Niall Quinn and a couple of others come in and stuff envelopes for some mailshot the club was doing to season ticket holders. :lol:

Quinny was already a first team player at that point.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Apart from Mickey's goal at Anfield, I doubt I'll ever be happier then when Rocky stuck that one in at the lane to win the 87 League Cup semi final

Rest in peace forever great man

If ever there was a player where you could truly sing "he's one of our own", it would be this fella

:barscarf:

nut flush gooner

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:49 pm
Here it is :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeW8MWsCGrE

I know you've all seen this, but in case you want to reminisce : The Rocky & Wrighty Documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2byZj3oz3U

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
Thanks mate, I am not that computer illiterate lol. I meant posting embedded images/videos.

The goal versus Boro is very special to me, normally that season I would be in the North Bank. But decided to sit in the West Lower as tickets were available on the day in the seats, and had a great view of Rocky's goal.

nut flush gooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:22 pm
Apart from Mickey's goal at Anfield, I doubt I'll ever be happier then when Rocky stuck that one in at the lane to win the 87 League Cup semi final

If ever there was a player where you could truly sing "he's one of our own", it would be this fella

Rocky will always be famous for that goal, made even sweeter by the tannoy announcement at half time telling the spud fans how they could apply for their cup final tickets.

In those days, Arsenal was a side that would only have been inspired by those words echoing around the stadium. The turnaround epitomised our never say die spirit. And boy did we make them look like the bunch of twats.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:57 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:22 pm

Rocky will always be famous for that goal, made even sweeter by the tannoy announcement at half time telling the spud fans how they could apply for their cup final tickets.

In those days, Arsenal was a side that would only have been inspired by those words echoing around the stadium. The turnaround epitomised our never say die spirit. And boy did we make them look like the bunch of twats.
Absolutely, spot on. It was referenced in Kenny Sansom's book about that season - the players could hear the announcements from the dressing room.

Try telling anyone in that team or in the away end that night, that it was "only the League Cup"......and when people's lazy response to that is "ahh but football's changed", anything only changes for the worst if you allow it to happen. That was a great year that ended with us fucking up Rush's famous goalscoring record at Wembley, and Rocky was a key part of that run and that spirit.

nut flush gooner

I didn't go to the 87 or 88 League cup finals. Was just before I left college and got a season ticket. My first one was Sheff Wednesday in 93, but that was special.

So I can only imagine what 87 was like, not only turning the spuds over but breaking a ridiculous record of Pool never losing when Ian Rush scored the first goal. 100,00 at Wembley, two massed terraces behind each goal and a very special atmosphere. All that possible because of Rocky.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:01 am
I didn't go to the 87 or 88 League cup finals. Was just before I left college and got a season ticket. My first one was Sheff Wednesday in 93, but that was special.

So I can only imagine what 87 was like, not only turning the spuds over but breaking a ridiculous record of Pool never losing when Ian Rush scored the first goal. 100,00 at Wembley, two massed terraces behind each goal and a very special atmosphere. All that possible because of Rocky.
That 87 final was my first ever Wembley trip. I was only 14 at the time and my Dad got me a ticket and I went with his mates. We were up high behind the goal and Charlie's flukey winner seemed to take an age to trickle over the line. Absolute scenes afterwards - the old fashioned surge forwards, blokes laying on the ground celebrating and then back to Highbury afterwards to celebrate. I was obviously 'shandy age' at the time, but can just remember blokes absolutely overjoyed, pissed as farts all round Highbury. It was a bit like the final against Hull, in as much as we'd gone a good few years without winning anything and it was a combination of joy and relief. I was only a little lad for the 79 FA Cup final so this was the first one that really meant something as I'd been to so many matches that season

Of course we didn't know at the time, that it was the start of a very special era under GG, but Rocky and his pals were clearly part of a new breed sweeping through the club after years of underachievement. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it now!