Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
Redarmy
Posts: 6069
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: Avenell Road

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:44 pm
Midz wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:21 pm
Xhaka had a good game at LB tonight. I don't think he even got booked. Well done you plonker!
The bar is set so very, very low :| :|

It's like advertising a truck driving job and the only criteria to qualify is being able to sit down.
He did ok, against a better team his lack of pace and positional awareness would be exposed

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 19009
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by SteveO 35 »

You can only beat what's in front of you and they did it well. This lot will probably go down with just a handful more points than Derby's record breakers managed and had the worst start to a PL season in history, so perspective needed - they were absolutely awful from first to last.

However, it shows when the team decides to play at 2021 pace rather than 1930s pace, the passing and pressing is harder to deal with. They could barely get out of their half for most of the game.

Martinelli caused so many problems with his movement - the end product showed the rustiness of a bloke who has been rested since his 13th birthday, but delighted to see him notch and was at the heart of all the attacking threat. Two tidy old finishes from Lacazette - probably the most natural finisher at the club. Chambers another decent game at RB, far better than Swampy. Mari cool, calm and collected at CB - the man most likely to make it out of this bunch of average CBs.

Redarmy
Posts: 6069
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: Avenell Road

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by Redarmy »

Midz wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:13 pm
Pleased to see us win a game. Glad for Martinelli too.
That lad is a joy to watch...endless running, and enthusiasm.....with no little skill.....

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27395
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by augie »

Partey played well last night too - is that down to

(a) sheffield united are absolute muck
(b) he played in his proper CDM position

Probably it is a mixture of both, but I have said from the start that the man is a CDM, but wondercoach keeps playing him in the 8 to facilitate his swiss/albanian lovechild :roll:

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 19009
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 am
Partey played well last night too - is that down to

(a) sheffield united are absolute muck
(b) he played in his proper CDM position

Probably it is a mixture of both, but I have said from the start that the man is a CDM, but wondercoach keeps playing him in the 8 to facilitate his swiss/albanian lovechild :roll:
I think its probably more point (a), although I don't disagree with point (b). They had absolutely nothing Sheffield United - didn't press, couldn't string 3 passes together, not even any physical threat anymore. I doubt our midfielders will get a game with so much time on the ball for many a month. Where I'm looking for Partey to step up is Thursday night when that lot will be swarming all over us, pressing and harrassing all over the field. To date, that's when Partey has been absolutely shite

Retro Gunner
Posts: 1040
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Spitalfields

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am
augie wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 am
Partey played well last night too - is that down to

(a) sheffield united are absolute muck
(b) he played in his proper CDM position

Probably it is a mixture of both, but I have said from the start that the man is a CDM, but wondercoach keeps playing him in the 8 to facilitate his swiss/albanian lovechild :roll:
I think its probably more point (a), although I don't disagree with point (b). They had absolutely nothing Sheffield United - didn't press, couldn't string 3 passes together, not even any physical threat anymore. I doubt our midfielders will get a game with so much time on the ball for many a month. Where I'm looking for Partey to step up is Thursday night when that lot will be swarming all over us, pressing and harrassing all over the field. To date, that's when Partey has been absolutely shite

I'd go for (c)....he didn't have the 'swiss/albanian lovechild' lumbering about, doing nothing except cause chaos, beside him.

After that I'd go for (a).

I was trying really hard not to judge Partey too unfairly, seeing as he was new to the league (never really like that excuse) and missed a lot of games through injury. However, I was very unimpressed from day one and can't give him the benefit of the doubt any longer....he's been very poor and I'm seriously doubting that he'll get any better. Poor distribution, gets caught in possession, doesn't seem to track runners and for a big unit, doesn't make many challenges. All I'm seeing so far is Xhaka Mk II, with a bit more technical ability.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong about him and before someone reminds me of the cracking ball that put Laca through yesterday, it's gonna take a lot more than that lone swallow to make a summer.

User avatar
Clummo99
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by Clummo99 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:06 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am
augie wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 am
Partey played well last night too - is that down to

(a) sheffield united are absolute muck
(b) he played in his proper CDM position

Probably it is a mixture of both, but I have said from the start that the man is a CDM, but wondercoach keeps playing him in the 8 to facilitate his swiss/albanian lovechild :roll:
I think its probably more point (a), although I don't disagree with point (b). They had absolutely nothing Sheffield United - didn't press, couldn't string 3 passes together, not even any physical threat anymore. I doubt our midfielders will get a game with so much time on the ball for many a month. Where I'm looking for Partey to step up is Thursday night when that lot will be swarming all over us, pressing and harrassing all over the field. To date, that's when Partey has been absolutely shite

I'd go for (c)....he didn't have the 'swiss/albanian lovechild' lumbering about, doing nothing except cause chaos, beside him.

After that I'd go for (a).

I was trying really hard not to judge Partey too unfairly, seeing as he was new to the league (never really like that excuse) and missed a lot of games through injury. However, I was very unimpressed from day one and can't give him the benefit of the doubt any longer....he's been very poor and I'm seriously doubting that he'll get any better. Poor distribution, gets caught in possession, doesn't seem to track runners and for a big unit, doesn't make many challenges. All I'm seeing so far is Xhaka Mk II, with a bit more technical ability.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong about him and before someone reminds me of the cracking ball that put Laca through yesterday, it's gonna take a lot more than that lone swallow to make a summer.
Yep Partey is yet another overpriced Joe Average. Take him out of an Atleti team that is well coached and defensively organised by a good manager and he doesn't offer too much as an individual.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27395
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by augie »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:24 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:06 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:39 am
augie wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:35 am
Partey played well last night too - is that down to

(a) sheffield united are absolute muck
(b) he played in his proper CDM position

Probably it is a mixture of both, but I have said from the start that the man is a CDM, but wondercoach keeps playing him in the 8 to facilitate his swiss/albanian lovechild :roll:
I think its probably more point (a), although I don't disagree with point (b). They had absolutely nothing Sheffield United - didn't press, couldn't string 3 passes together, not even any physical threat anymore. I doubt our midfielders will get a game with so much time on the ball for many a month. Where I'm looking for Partey to step up is Thursday night when that lot will be swarming all over us, pressing and harrassing all over the field. To date, that's when Partey has been absolutely shite

I'd go for (c)....he didn't have the 'swiss/albanian lovechild' lumbering about, doing nothing except cause chaos, beside him.

After that I'd go for (a).

I was trying really hard not to judge Partey too unfairly, seeing as he was new to the league (never really like that excuse) and missed a lot of games through injury. However, I was very unimpressed from day one and can't give him the benefit of the doubt any longer....he's been very poor and I'm seriously doubting that he'll get any better. Poor distribution, gets caught in possession, doesn't seem to track runners and for a big unit, doesn't make many challenges. All I'm seeing so far is Xhaka Mk II, with a bit more technical ability.

I genuinely hope I'm wrong about him and before someone reminds me of the cracking ball that put Laca through yesterday, it's gonna take a lot more than that lone swallow to make a summer.
Yep Partey is yet another overpriced Joe Average. Take him out of an Atleti team that is well coached and defensively organised by a good manager and he doesn't offer too much as an individual.




I put that very point forward last season before we signed him and was lambasted for suggesting it :roll: The reality is that at ath madrid he was playing as a defensive midfielder in a defensive team, and as such any weaknesses he might have would possibly be masked in the tactics they played. That isnt me slating the guy cos I still believe that he could be a good and effective defensive midfielder for us if he was playing alongside an Aouar type midfielder, but he was never gonna be the outstanding midfielder some on here hyped him up to be, and especially not when he is being played out of position and alongside the swiss turd :roll:

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 19009
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by SteveO 35 »

You'd like to think that a player like Partey being part of that Atleti team would at least bring 100% commitment and be tight in possession. However, those are his worst attributes - at times he wanders round like king of the manor without a care in the world, and is quite happy to gift possession to the oppo whether its with 8 players committed forward or dawdling on the edge of his box. I can't believe Simeone would accept that at Atleti - they were by far the most drilled and organised team I saw at the bowl in a long time. Everyone adept in their job and when they went down to 10 men early doors it was an absolute masterclass in defensive organisation. He was part of that - a big part of that. Just shows you when you take someone like that and put them into a constantly rotating squad with no framework of play, how quickly they can be exposed

Also annoys me how easily he can be shrugged off the ball for a man of his physical stature

markyp
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:54 pm
Location: location location

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by markyp »

I have to agree with the criticism of Partey, at first I thought we were getting a viera but he actually reminds me more of Paul Davis,that's no disrespect to Paul at all but partey isn't the big ball winner we hoped for is he.i always wanted us to sign kondogbia,ironically the bloke who's filled parteys boots at atletico but sadly parteys looking like a 45m duff,makes a change doesn't it

User avatar
OneBardGooner
Posts: 30845
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 am
Location: Dark Side Of The Mood

Re: Sheff Utd A dead rubber Sun 11th April KO 7pm

Post by OneBardGooner »


Post Reply