Our inevitable Euro exit in Prague Thurs 15th April KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
wibble

Re: Our inevitable Euro exit in Prague Thurs 15th April KO 8pm

Post by wibble »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 pm
wibble wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:51 pm
Balogun getting 3 minutes there. If that doesn’t convince him to sign a new contract, nothing will!
That was his reward.....he has already signed it
Is that official? Had heard rumours he’d signed but alongside rumours he was off!
Happy if confirmed

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

First time I've enjoyed a match start to finish since I can't remember when!! Had no doubt we would win but to play that well and particularly the kids AGAIN, fantastic.

My big fear is knowing Arteta is a c.unt, we'll qualify for the final and he'll play Luiz in his first game back, Willian, Bellend and Xhaka because of their 'experience'. He just hasn't got it in him to go for it.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

ESR, Saka, Laca, Chambers, Mari and Partey some great performances

Prague were poor TBH...but we did the job

augie

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:05 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:41 pm
This is the best anti-racism statement since Diaby kicked Terry in the head.

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: QUALITY ..Abso-Fuckin-Quality :lol:

That's why Wenger gave him a long term contract even though he knew he was a useless crock.

Last week Eirsport showed highlights of our league cup semi finals v the scum from a few seasons back - I couldnt bring myself to watch the 2nd leg at the swamp (the night of the infamous greedybayor v bendtner spat), but I watched the first leg and diaby was without doubt absolute dogshite :roll: We had hoyte playing centre back, traore at left full, denilson in midfield, and bendtner up front, so to be worse that those lot takes some going and gives you an idea of how woefully bad he was :oops: :oops: :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

I missed the first 20 mins of the second half so cant comment on that, but did anyone else feel that ceballos was anonymous in the first half ? We were destroying them but he didnt seem to be in the game at all, so it's not as if I am saying that he played bad, it's just that you wouldnt know he was even there :?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 am
I missed the first 20 mins of the second half so cant comment on that, but did anyone else feel that ceballos was anonymous in the first half ? We were destroying them but he didnt seem to be in the game at all, so it's not as if I am saying that he played bad, it's just that you wouldnt know he was even there :?
He didn't do a whole lot, but what he did do he did well which as much as you can hope for.

You got them underpants ironed yet? 8)

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

That's the high pressing direct style that we have been chasing for a long time now. Surely Arteta will make them sit down and make them watch that video every single week, point forcibly and say ...."there ....that's what I want you to do " Any one who doesn't , can't do what's asked of them, doesn't matter who , that's it you're dropped. Regarding burn out from playing that style , fuck it only 10/11 games left in the season give or take , professional athletes should be well able for that. That template is there , the players on that showing suggest they can implement it , the big question is whether Arteta has the managerial nous to replicate it week in week out in lieu of that stubborn ego of his. They weren't up to much but how many more points would we have on the board if that effort had been replicated during the season.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Augie have a word with yourself will you mate! :lol:

A 4-0 away win in Europe against a team on a long unbeaten run and you're still desperately searching for a negative.

Yes Sparta were shite but Ceballos did as much as Partey. Not great, not bad, just what he had to do.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

This will go down as one of the most iconic Arsenal photos ever.

Powerful stuff by Laca and the team :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:59 am
augie wrote:
Augie have a word with yourself will you mate! :lol:

A 4-0 away win in Europe against a team on a long unbeaten run and you're still desperately searching for a negative.

Yes Sparta were shite but Ceballos did as much as Partey. Not great, not bad, just what he had to do.

Buddy, I said in my previous post that I wasnt saying that he played bad - I wasnt saying that he lost possession or gave away cheap free kicks or anything like that, but was merely suggesting that in a half that we dominated, he didnt seem to be involved much is all.
For the record (a) I thought that partey made a few good tackles and interceptions on the odd time they got forward and (b) I dont view partey as anything but a destroyer and as such dont expect him to be as involved in a game (that we are dominating) as his more ball playing partner

augie

Post by augie »

Nick Bendtners Ego wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:54 am
That's the high pressing direct style that we have been chasing for a long time now. Surely Arteta will make them sit down and make them watch that video every single week, point forcibly and say ...."there ....that's what I want you to do " Any one who doesn't , can't do what's asked of them, doesn't matter who , that's it you're dropped. Regarding burn out from playing that style , fuck it only 10/11 games left in the season give or take , professional athletes should be well able for that. That template is there , the players on that showing suggest they can implement it , the big question is whether Arteta has the managerial nous to replicate it week in week out in lieu of that stubborn ego of his. They weren't up to much but how many more points would we have on the board if that effort had been replicated during the season.

Every single time that I say this to my manure and victims supporting buddies it comes back to bite me on the arse, but I will still say that ON PAPER we have the best 1-11 of the four remaining teams - the one variable and likely to cost us is pep's cone boy. If our next game was against villareal pep's cone boy would be in a pickle cos it would be very hard to change the starting line up after last night - the fact that we have two league games before it will allow the fool to again prick around with the starting line up and by the time the villareal game comes around, the starting team will have changed and the likes of laca (if rested/rotated) will have lost a bit of sharpness

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

WARNING: Positive post alert from yours truly

Let me start by saying, that yesterday I went through two emotions that are rare when it comes to the Arsenal these days - pre-match nerves and enormous pride.

There are few games left for me anymore that I REALLY care about to the point that I need a beer to calm the nerves and actually get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, but I don't mind admitting that I felt that yesterday evening. To me this felt like a landmark game - lose and that would be the end of European football for a whole season for the first time in 25 years and in many ways confirmation that we're the new Everton.

I thought the football played in the first half was the best I've seen under Arteta and I don't want to criticise any one player or thing - it was awesome. We swamped them. The right players played - Saka, Smith Rowe, Laca - didn't give their back line a minute's peace. Calum Chambers - take a bow son. Brilliant going forward, always covering back - apart from the infamous Swansea game (which was how long ago?), what has this lad actually done wrong not to feature more prominently? Infinitely better than Swampy who is now 3rd choice RB surely? Mari is the best of the centre halves and its now up to one of the others to cement the place next to him. The midfield trio bossed their lot and we looked solid all over the park

Pride - why? Because we were all waiting for us to fail weren't we? Lets be honest about that. The togetherness - a rarity these days - was shown in the attitude, the interviews, the intensity of the play, the goal celebrations, the reactions to the disallowed goal etc. Holding went round roughing up that diving streak of piss up front - laughing at him, giving him a dig every so often - good to fucking see son.....memories of Diego Costa in the cup final a few years back

Today I'm just a happy Gooner. I know it isn't the start of an all conquering run. It doesn't make any of the players that we all slag off suddenly brilliant ones, nor does it make the manager a tactical genius. What it does is keep us with a chance of winning something meaningful, put a smile on my miserable face for once, and for once make me proud of the team

What follows against Fulham? I barely care. This was what mattered and the team did better than any of us could have expected

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Cracking performance, best we've seen for God knows how long. A complete performance from back to front. That's two good displays on the trot (admittedly against iffy opposition, but you can only beat what's in front of you etc) and what should Arteta take out of this?

That Xhaka was not in the middle of the park to slow everything down, destroy momentum and give the ball away. Of course, I don't want him at LB either, because he's gonna get taken apart when he comes up against a proper winger, but there's no way Arteta will leave him out completely. As soon as Arteta can get him back in centre mid, he'll do so.

That ESR must be a first choice pick at number 10, because as Augie said, he plays further up the pitch than Odegaard and links the midfield and forwards brilliantly. His running off the ball is top notch and his quick feet and technical ability a joy to watch.

Pepe did ok last night, but I think all of us on here want to see Martinelli as first choice, which would make that front 4 very exciting. Martinelli is a huge talent, but it's clear the manager has a problem with him.

Can Chambers make it as our new RB? Bellerin is washed up and Chambers has been performing well....very good last night and was superb in the 2nd half at West Ham.

I've got a confession to make....I like Ceballos ! He needs to offer more in terms of assists and goals, but he's a neat and tidy footballer, with good technique and doesn't give the ball away, unlike Xhaka and even Partey. I'd still have Guendouzi in there, but in his absence, Ceballos should be alongside Partey.

Last night ought to be the launch pad for the way ahead, but I can't shake the feeling that Arteta will revert to type and put his non performing favourites back in the side (and ol' club foot back in centre mid), or the feeling that we'll see the usual walking pace impotency in the next couple of league games and then not show up for Villareal.

Hope I'm wrong, but bitter experience has made a pessimist of me. It's why I feel so at home on this place. :D

wibble

Post by wibble »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:00 am

Calum Chambers - take a bow son. Brilliant going forward, always covering back - apart from the infamous Swansea game (which was how long ago?), what has this lad actually done wrong not to feature more prominently? Infinitely better than Swampy who is now 3rd choice RB surely? Mari is the best of the centre halves and its now up to one of the others to cement the place next to him.
Mari has been solid if unspectacular. I’d agree he should be first choice. I’d be happy enough with him, holding, Gabriel and Saliba as our 4 centre back options next season.

Im not sure I’d be as confident about having chambers as our first choice RB next season. Having said that he is better than soares and hopefully we get rid of bellerin. I’m hoping chambers plays regularly for the rest of this season to see how consistent he can be.

:barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:56 am
ESR, Saka, Laca, Chambers, Mari and Partey some great performances

Prague were poor TBH...but we did the job
I think they looked worse than they were because we made them look like that.

I too enjoyed the whole game from start to finish and it has been a feckkin loooong time since I was able to do and say that!