Fulham Fartpipes H Sun 18th Apr KO 130pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clummo99

Re: Fulham Fartpipes H Sun 18th Apr KO 130pm

Post by Clummo99 »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:54 pm
Truth is, Arteta is not an improvement on Emery.

After 70 odd games he still doesn't know what his best defence is.
After 70 odd games he still doesn't know his best centre midfield partnership
After 70 odd games he still doesn't know his best front 3

Don't even get me started on Arteta's 'In Game' management which is worse than Emery's or Wengers!!

Arsenal are going nowhere under Arteta and that's a real shame as we have a bit of a golden generation of young players coming through now and with a good manager we could be a very good, young team...........but not under Arteta who will chop and change every game as he doesn't really know what to do! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Modern football isn't about playing your "best eleven". It's a squad game now. Most big clubs do it, not only us. Take Man City yesterday for example.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:55 pm
Anyway it looks like the premier league is going to be as devalued as the league cup in future - apparently we are going to be in a European Super league :shock:
Arteta is not the answer mate...if he was we would have seen some sort of consistency, some sort of plan, a gameplan. Instead we see this constant chopping and changing, this almost manic faith in terrible players, an inability to work out his best starting 11.....Just a constant mishmash of ideas....a make it up as you go and desperately hope for the best. It's a mess...he's a mess.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:02 pm
TeeCee wrote:

Don't even get me started on Arteta's 'In Game' management which is worse than Emery's or Wengers!!

Arsenal are going nowhere under Arteta and that's a real shame as we have a bit of a golden generation of young players coming through now and with a good manager we could be a very good, young team...........but not under Arteta who will chop and change every game as he doesn't really know what to do! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Modern football isn't about playing your "best eleven". It's a squad game now. Most big clubs do it, not only us. Take Man City yesterday for example.
Clummo, honestly mate. Man City have 2 great players in every position and were fighting on four fronts - they're going to win the league, and are as close to the CL as they've ever been. Its a squad game when you've got the squad. Not many of our fans used to mind throwing the League Cup in the bin and the odd FA Cup when we were competing for titles and going deep in the CL. And if it is a squad game, why not throw that open to more of the youngsters?

I'm still waiting to see what the continual rotation of Pepe, Willian, Nketiah, Elneny, Ceballos, Partey, Gabriel, Holding, Luiz, Mari, Chambers, Cedric etc is going to bring any time soon......

The Mickeys strolled the league with a hardcore of players all playing 30+ games each - in the case of VVD, Alexander Arnold, Firmino they played just about every game.

Squad rotation in some places is needed. Seven changes per game, no regular CB pairing, four equally shite central midfielders, two equally flakey tarts in Willian and Pepe.....if anyone can tell me a single positive in that lot that comes from squad rotation, I'm all ears !

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:07 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
TeeCee wrote:

Clummo, honestly mate. Man City have 2 great players in every position and were fighting on four fronts - they're going to win the league, and are as close to the CL as they've ever been. Its a squad game when you've got the squad. Not many of our fans used to mind throwing the League Cup in the bin and the odd FA Cup when we were competing for titles and going deep in the CL. And if it is a squad game, why not throw that open to more of the youngsters?

I'm still waiting to see what the continual rotation of Pepe, Willian, Nketiah, Elneny, Ceballos, Partey, Gabriel, Holding, Luiz, Mari, Chambers, Cedric etc is going to bring any time soon......

The Mickeys strolled the league with a hardcore of players all playing 30+ games each - in the case of VVD, Alexander Arnold, Firmino they played just about every game.

Squad rotation in some places is needed. Seven changes per game, no regular CB pairing, four equally shite central midfielders, two equally flakey tarts in Willian and Pepe.....if anyone can tell me a single positive in that lot that comes from squad rotation, I'm all ears !
I'm not offering any opinions mate, I'm just stating a fact of the modern game.

Unless you're a club like Fulham or Burnley etc then it's all about the first team squad, not just the best eleven.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:11 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
TeeCee wrote:

Unless you're a club like Fulham or Burnley etc then it's all about the first team squad, not just the best eleven.
I get that you can't play the same XI for 50 games, but we're just making random changes every week - there's a big difference. Even City and Liverpool were making one or two changes to freshen things up when winning titles.......we're making between five and nine a week. Its absolute madness.

People ask, why don't we start games faster? Perhaps its because its a different line up every week. Again today, it looks like we need 45 minutes to even get warm, and there's always a brain fart at the back. Heavy rotation of so many players every game can't be helping that situation surely?

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:42 pm
Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:38 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:34 pm
Is there anyone on here who thinks Arteta is the Man for the Job (as Manager)?
I'm undecided.
I'd be inclined to give him one more year.

We know we need to clear out deadwood. That needs to happen this summer.

Who would we get to replace him?
Allegri is the obvious one but he inherited one of the best defensive football units the world has seen and won a poor league year after year.
Agree with this.
Arteta makes a lot of mistakes but up until now he has shown that latter day Wenger knack of winning the games when he needs to
Another fucking year :lol: our fan base are the biggest joke in the league might as well have a joke of a manger too
Who would you want instead and the reasons for doing so?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
TeeCee wrote:

I get that you can't play the same XI for 50 games, but we're just making random changes every week - there's a big difference. Even City and Liverpool were making one or two changes to freshen things up when winning titles.......we're making between five and nine a week. Its absolute madness.

People ask, why don't we start games faster? Perhaps its because its a different line up every week. Again today, it looks like we need 45 minutes to even get warm, and there's always a brain fart at the back. Heavy rotation of so many players every game can't be helping that situation surely?
I don't disagree with you but as I said, I'm not offering an opinion. It's like playing out from the back is another new thing in the modern game. Practically everyone does it.

Do I agree with it? No. Would a new manager/coach do anything different? Probably another No.

It's the abhorration that is the modern game.

Give me a team wearing the numbers 1 to 11 with 12 being the one and only substitute, people that were doctors or teachers etc during the week and referees on a weekend, the European Cup ONLY for champions and a straightforward, two leg knockout from Round 1 and 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon for ALL matches.

None of that is ever going to happen again but football was much simpler then and far, far more enjoyable.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:36 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thynker wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:34 pm
Is there anyone on here who thinks Arteta is the Man for the Job (as Manager)?
I'm undecided.

Allegri is the obvious one but he inherited one of the best defensive football units the world has seen and won a poor league year after year.
Agree with this.
Arteta makes a lot of mistakes but up until now he has shown that latter day Wenger knack of winning the games when he needs to
Another fucking year :lol: our fan base are the biggest joke in the league might as well have a joke of a manger too
I would take any experienced manager over arteta and there are many reasons for it. This is Arsenal FC we are talking about, managers would fall over each other to get a chance with us. We have a generation of young footballers coming through and this useless fart pipe is trying his best to fuck them over.

He is a novice, he should be nowhere near this club.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:44 pm
Thynker wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thynker wrote:

I'm undecided.

Agree with this.
I would take any experienced manager over arteta and there are many reasons for it. This is Arsenal FC we are talking about, managers would fall over each other to get a chance with us. We have a generation of young footballers coming through and this useless fart pipe is trying his best to fuck them over.

So again, you sack Arteta in the morning or at season's end...

BUT
Who are you going to appoint (that's available) especially given that we may not have European football...?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:43 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

I don't disagree with you but as I said, I'm not offering an opinion. It's like playing out from the back is another new thing in the modern game. Practically everyone does it.

Do I agree with it, No. Would a new manager/coach do anything different, probably another No.

It's the abhorration that is the modern game.

Give me a team wearing the numbers 1 to 11 with 12 being the one and only substitue, people that were doctors or teachers etc during the week and referees on a weekend, the European Cup ONLY for champions and a straightforward, two leg knockout from Round 1 and 3 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon for ALL matches.

None of that is never going to happen again but football was much simpler then and far, far more enjoyable.
I think most of us middle aged fuckers miss all of that and more mate, but we can't control any of those things sadly. What the manager can control is NOT making seven changes a week. He can also control not playing out from the back - there are still some teams that play much more directly, but they're derided by football snobs everywhere who would rather see some Bambi on Ice mug like Gabriel trying to do something he can't because he's Brazilian and cost a lot of money. What we can control (or could prior to COVID) is not going to games and being a victim of it all - and the continual changing of kick off times is something that made me do exactly that.....together with an owner who hasn't put a penny of his own cash in to the club in investment but expects us to pay £65 and upwards for a load of sterile shite. No thanks to all that!

Sadly this European Super League will only make it worse. I doubt we'll ever play at 3pm on a Saturday again if that happens, and the ticket prices will be more like £165

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Even if the Super League doesn't happen, the new Champions League format is a disgrace...

So many meaningless games...

We could almost select the top 2 in any of the CL groups this year and get straight on to the knockout phase.
The bottom 2 teams are (usually) very predictable.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:47 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thynker wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Agree with this.

BUT
Who are you going to appoint (that's available) especially given that we may not have European football...?
As I said above, this is Arsenal FC .we have a young generation of players coming through. Believe me plenty of managers will be available.

But here let's just stick our heads in the sand and see how low arteta can bring us

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:54 pm
Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:47 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thynker wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:

BUT
As I said above, this is Arsenal FC .we have a young generation of players coming through. Believe me plenty of managers will be available.

But here let's just stick our heads in the sand and see how low arteta can bring us
You haven't named one yet.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:50 pm
Even if the Super League doesn't happen, the new Champions League format is a disgrace...

We could almost select the top 2 in any of the CL groups this year and get straight on to the knockout phase.
Exactly. And expanding the group stage so that each club plays TEN matches!

The early part of the competition is a borefest as it is but let's add more 3rd and 4th rate teams so that we can increase sponsorship and overall revenue.

Honestly I detest the modern game and it's only going to get worse isn't it.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:50 pm

I have always been against a European Super League BUT I find the new CL format to be an even worse idea.
Hopefully the breakaway might make UEFA think twice.
The timings are key here - the Super League will be announced tonight just before UEFA we’re going to announce their proposals tomorrow.