European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: European Super League announced

Post by Clash »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm
Clash wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:45 pm
Just seen Ratface Neville ranting on Sky - he was nearly in tears from the look of it.

Agreed with everything he said to be honest and the others on Sky ... but they’ll never admit to how they themselves have contributed to the grotesque behaviour that is already in the game ... and they’ll probably all end up buying the coverage and doing the punditry too, if it ever happens.

Absolute fucking disgrace but I’m not shocked. Nobody in the game has attempted to put a stop to this runaway train. The likes of the Premier League and owners of clubs have exploited loyalty of fans for years now, destroying traditions and pricing out too many people. And their self-serving greed has contributed hugely to this inevitable outcome.

The fact that it’s funded by JP Morgan - an American investment bank - means I’ll expect all kinds of rule changes to be implemented to make the product more marketable and lucrative for the younger generations that will have no clue what was destroyed to create this,
That fucking cûnt can shut his fucking hypocritical gob. Moaning about greed and money ruining competition and the whole structure of football when he himself along with those other self-entitled, loathsome ego-maniacs bought a non-league team, pumped in loads of money and completely ruined the whole competitive nature of non-league football. All, that's happening now is what he's done but with bigger clubs and more money. I wish someone would actually question this ugly prick about some of the shit he spouts and his hypocritical bollox.
Very good point there Perry. Also anyone working for Sky talking about about how greed has ruined football is on thin ice.

It’s the end of the pyramid system that I think he was most agains though (i.e. meaning you can’t be relegated) and while I despise Sky and pimped clubs benefitting from someone else’s wealth, etc. the system or promotion and relegation at least still exists.

I’m sick of the whole thing though to be honest. Football used to be so much better than it is now.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 pm
If this is an alternative to UEFA competitions, not domestic leagues then I'll support the move. As an organisation, UEFA has been proven as being bad for football. A rival organisation would be good for football.
Premier League at the weekend, European Super League midweek then fine.
If it means opting out of the domestic league then, no, I would not support that.

Far be it for me to stand up for the corrupt c.unts at uefa and fifa, but a lot of what is wrong with the game has come from wealthy clubs looking to maximise money. Forming the premier league was all about money, most of the "fit and proper" tests for new owners is about keeping the status quo and not allowing clubs like the geordies break in with new money. Expanding the champs league, firstly to 2 teams and now at four teams for big countries, is all about the bigger clubs putting a safety net to ensure that they will be in it most seasons. Expanding the uefa and world cup finals is again about reducing chances of a big country not qualifying, and of course increasing the number of countries in it will increase the value of tv rights and buys votes.

If uefa had of stood up to the big clubs years ago when they fought to increase the champs league, the chances are that this breakaway would have happened then. Uefa bowed to the big clubs back then, and they have bent over for them every day since. When some people knock my love of nfl, I point out to them the financial parity system that they use and how it is a far better and fairer system - what we have now in football is a game run by greedy owners and clubs, and supported by greedy players, and I hope it crashes and burns

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Super hypocrite ratfsce Neville just ranting about Arsenal, manure and the victims* being the history of football and that they all should be punished, then ranting about the new money clubs like the chav and the arabs and then he shrugs and says "oh and tottnumb. I'm not really that bothered about them". :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:23 pm
Nos89 wrote:
If this is an alternative to UEFA competitions, not domestic leagues then I'll support the move. As an organisation, UEFA has been proven as being bad for football. A rival organisation would be good for football.
If it means opting out of the domestic league then, no, I would not support that.

Far be it for me to stand up for the corrupt c.unts at uefa and fifa, but a lot of what is wrong with the game has come from wealthy clubs looking to maximise money. Forming the premier league was all about money, most of the "fit and proper" tests for new owners is about keeping the status quo and not allowing clubs like the geordies break in with new money. Expanding the champs league, firstly to 2 teams and now at four teams for big countries, is all about the bigger clubs putting a safety net to ensure that they will be in it most seasons. Expanding the uefa and world cup finals is again about reducing chances of a big country not qualifying, and of course increasing the number of countries in it will increase the value of tv rights and buys votes.

If uefa had of stood up to the big clubs years ago when they fought to increase the champs league, the chances are that this breakaway would have happened then. Uefa bowed to the big clubs back then, and they have bent over for them every day since. When some people knock my love of nfl, I point out to them the financial parity system that they use and how it is a far better and fairer system - what we have now in football is a game run by greedy owners and clubs, and supported by greedy players, and I hope it crashes and burns
NFL comparisons? Are you fucking mental? :lol: :wink:

Franchises give less than half a fuck about fans. Ask any Los Angeles based Raiders fan how they feel. Or any Oakland based Raiders fan. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:27 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Franchises give less than half a fuck about fans. Ask any Los Angeles based Raiders fan how they feel. Or any Oakland based Raiders fan. :lol:

Raiders were originally an LA team my good man :lol: :lol:

I take your point about moving franchises though, but my point was about even competition on the pitch

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

It’s all about the Yanks trying to buy ‘soccer’.
JP Morgan, Fenway Sports and Kroenke buying something they just don’t have in the US of A.

It’s all very well the PL saying clubs that participate in the SL will be banned from other competitions but lose the big 5 (and the dustbin lids) from the PL and English football suddenly has a Championship 1 and 2 !!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:27 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Raiders were originally an LA team my good man :lol: :lol:
No they weren't. They were originally from Oakland.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:47 pm
UEFA are due to announce the new CL format next week, no group stages just a league format with play offs I heard.

Fuck me, if we went into a Euro super league it would be us and Spuds fighting for last place, what a dream scenario!! :banghead:

UEFA and FIFA need an enormous shake up but a SL is not the answer.
The SL is not the answer but i also don’t agree with the new UEFA proposals.
There is greed on both sides here. If the clubs can push this as far as they can and get UEFA to back down then I’m all for it.

this is something that has got Stan Kroenke interested - what a shame he can’t get a bit more interested in actually improving the team that he owns

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Clash wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 pm
Clash wrote:
Just seen Ratface Neville ranting on Sky - he was nearly in tears from the look of it.

Agreed with everything he said to be honest and the others on Sky ... but they’ll never admit to how they themselves have contributed to the grotesque behaviour that is already in the game ... and they’ll probably all end up buying the coverage and doing the punditry too, if it ever happens.

Absolute fucking disgrace but I’m not shocked. Nobody in the game has attempted to put a stop to this runaway train. The likes of the Premier League and owners of clubs have exploited loyalty of fans for years now, destroying traditions and pricing out too many people. And their self-serving greed has contributed hugely to this inevitable outcome.

The fact that it’s funded by JP Morgan - an American investment bank - means I’ll expect all kinds of rule changes to be implemented to make the product more marketable and lucrative for the younger generations that will have no clue what was destroyed to create this,
That fucking cûnt can shut his fucking hypocritical gob. Moaning about greed and money ruining competition and the whole structure of football when he himself along with those other self-entitled, loathsome ego-maniacs bought a non-league team, pumped in loads of money and completely ruined the whole competitive nature of non-league football. All, that's happening now is what he's done but with bigger clubs and more money. I wish someone would actually question this ugly prick about some of the shit he spouts and his hypocritical bollox.
Very good point there Perry. Also anyone working for Sky talking about about how greed has ruined football is on thin ice.

It’s the end of the pyramid system that I think he was most agains though (i.e. meaning you can’t be relegated) and while I despise Sky and pimped clubs benefitting from someone else’s wealth, etc. the system or promotion and relegation at least still exists.

I’m sick of the whole thing though to be honest. Football used to be so much better than it is now.
Yep. Them all sitting there now worrying that they will be as obsolete as they made ITV's The Big Match or Saint and Greavsie. Didn't they themselves get involved in talks to form a European League about 20 years ago? Whilst I absolutely agree with the points about the lack of promotion and relegation, England is about the only country that has a decent league system with independent clubs and some sort of competitive element. Spain and Italy have two leagues then just a bunch or regional teams who play in parks and it's similar in Germany. The whole of French football is full of pointless clubs made up of postmen and bus drivers who play in uncompetitive competitions which nobody cares about and nobody watches. They call it Ligue 1.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:46 pm
Clash wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:11 pm
Clash wrote:

Yep. Them all sitting there now worrying that they will be as obsolete as they made ITV's The Big Match or Saint and Greavsie. Didn't they themselves get involved in talks to form a European League about 20 years ago? Whilst I absolutely agree with the points about the lack of promotion and relegation, England is about the only country that has a decent league system with independent clubs and some sort of competitive element. Spain and Italy have two leagues then just a bunch or regional teams who play in parks and it's similar in Germany. The whole of French football is full of pointless clubs made up of postmen and bus drivers who play in uncompetitive competitions which nobody cares about and nobody watches. They call it Ligue 1.
:lol: :lol: :lol: brilliant.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Clash wrote:

110% agree mate. It was exactly the same power grab in 92 that lead to the formation of the PL with Sky Sports and their pay tv subscription model. They have created a situation where they pretty much-monopolised football for many years until BT and Amazon came to the party.

Of course, Sky Sports are shitting themselves because this new league will have a blank canvass when it comes to TV rights. If Amazon throws a few billion quid at the rights (which is small change for them), then it's game over for Sky as a business entity, not only in this country but across Europe, they will be fucked.

People like Micah Richards are hypocrites as well, he did very well out of City's oil money. You could have a whole different conversation about the ethics of the people who own City and Chelski.

Kroenke is on a power grab, amazing how he's not so quiet when it comes to adding more money to his bank account.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Just let them have what they want and sit back to watch it all crash and burn within a few years.

They can then franchise all the clubs to the far East and maximise their brands to a new market that's absolutely aching for it.

Would be a blessing in disguise.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:50 pm
Clash wrote:

110% agree mate. It was exactly the same power grab in 92 that lead to the formation of the PL with Sky Sports and their pay tv subscription model. They have created a situation where they pretty much-monopolised football for many years until BT and Amazon came to the party.

Of course, Sky Sports are shitting themselves because this new league will have a blank canvass when it comes to TV rights. If Amazon throws a few billion quid at the rights (which is small change for them), then it's game over for Sky as a business entity, not only in this country but across Europe, they will be fucked.

People like Micah Richards are hypocrites as well, he did very well out of City's oil money. You could have a whole different conversation about the ethics of the people who own City and Chelski.

Kroenke is on a power grab, amazing how he's not so quiet when it comes to adding more money to his bank account.
Reports are that DAZN are willing to pay £3.5 billion for TV rights

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:01 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:50 pm
Clash wrote:

Reports are that DAZN are willing to pay £3.5 billion for TV rights
I said earlier that DAZN would be the team to beat.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Does anyone actually take this seriously? This is being done with the intention of reminding UEFA to look after the bigger nations by expanding the CL and the amount of CL spots in the countries involved and probably adding more prize money to the EL. The also rans of these competitions will be booted out and it's convenient timing as there is a EL 2 due to start next season.