European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Thynker

Re: European Super League announced

Post by Thynker »

If the club's fans don't want any part of this super league then they know what to do.

This league only survives if the fans financially support it.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:35 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:27 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:23 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 pm
If this is an alternative to UEFA competitions, not domestic leagues then I'll support the move. As an organisation, UEFA has been proven as being bad for football. A rival organisation would be good for football.
Premier League at the weekend, European Super League midweek then fine.
If it means opting out of the domestic league then, no, I would not support that.

Far be it for me to stand up for the corrupt c.unts at uefa and fifa, but a lot of what is wrong with the game has come from wealthy clubs looking to maximise money. Forming the premier league was all about money, most of the "fit and proper" tests for new owners is about keeping the status quo and not allowing clubs like the geordies break in with new money. Expanding the champs league, firstly to 2 teams and now at four teams for big countries, is all about the bigger clubs putting a safety net to ensure that they will be in it most seasons. Expanding the uefa and world cup finals is again about reducing chances of a big country not qualifying, and of course increasing the number of countries in it will increase the value of tv rights and buys votes.

If uefa had of stood up to the big clubs years ago when they fought to increase the champs league, the chances are that this breakaway would have happened then. Uefa bowed to the big clubs back then, and they have bent over for them every day since. When some people knock my love of nfl, I point out to them the financial parity system that they use and how it is a far better and fairer system - what we have now in football is a game run by greedy owners and clubs, and supported by greedy players, and I hope it crashes and burns
NFL comparisons? Are you fucking mental? :lol: :wink:

Franchises give less than half a fuck about fans. Ask any Los Angeles based Raiders fan how they feel. Or any Oakland based Raiders fan. :lol:

Raiders were originally an LA team my good man :lol: :lol:
No they weren't. They were originally from Oakland.

Are they the people who sell the furniture? :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I've said it before but it is worth repeating, football is no longer a sport but an entertainment franchise only intent on making money and spreading their influence... to make more money.

If Eufa dont pony up this will happen, simply put their is far too much money at stake here. Make no mistake not one of the clubs involved in this is interested in what 'fans or supporters' think, the money available from Sky, Amazon, NBC, ESPN, the Far Eastern and Arab TV syndicates is way more than what UEFA can muster and way more than they'll make from ticket sales, for all the whining about the lack of supporters in the ground it has hardly stopped play....... The only possible downside will be if players decide they still want to represent their nations and UEFA/FIFA disallow them too and it maybe causes a schism however with the mercenary nature of players and the call of the money being so loud i doubt that would happen.

Money talks in football these days and the sport as we knew it no longer exists, all the changes in rules etc have been based around making it more visually entertaining, not more sporting, the one that has fucked that up is VAR so i expect that to be overturned within a few seasons.

As with many of you i am just about done with football, it is not the sport i grew up with any more. I know we all suffer from rose-tinted glasses but the changes since the 'sky' intervention have ruined things for me more and more each year. Diving and faking injury are just two of the most obvious which are hardly sportmanlike and when pundits say things like 'he played for that' rather than condemning it they are basically admitting it is acceptable..... fuck it, i think i'll start watching tiddlywinks or something instead :rubchin:

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Arsenal F.C

A history.

Founded 1886

League x13, FA Cup x14, League Cup x2, Inter-Cities Fairs Cup x1, European Cup Winners’ Cup x1

Rot and disease started 2006

Finally died 2021

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thynker wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm
If the club's fans don't want any part of this super league then they know what to do.

This league only survives if the fans financially support it.
Not any more. The money from fans who buy match tickets is dwarfed by the corporates, the tv cash, the sponsors and the millions around the world buying merchandise. Arsenal play in empty stadiums and can still afford to pay 4 or 5 players in excess of £200k/week.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

The club has released a statement.

This is probably the lowest moment of our 135 year history.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

https://www.arsenal.com/news/european-s ... -announced

They can fuck right off. Absolute despicable cunts!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

The only positive I can take is that it might finally unite the fan base against Kroenke.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

If this happens , after 35 years as a season ticket holder I'm done , will follow Dartford and the cricket

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

So where would this leave us in the Europa League ?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Well as things stand UEFA will kick us out of the Europa League this season.
Although does that mean PSG have just won the CL ?

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Genuinely feel sorry for your fans. The club has just proved (as if we didn't already know) how little they give a fuck about the match going fans and the local community. Wanting to move to an invitation only tournament to protect revenue. Won't be long before they decide the games can be played in Asia. Hell maybe the "arsenal gunners" will move to Beijing for the money. I'm glad that every supporters trust of the clubs involved is coming out against this. For the good of football the clubs need to be kicked out of the Premier league. Nothing against the fans of the clubs, it's a consequence of foreign owners coming in who don't give a fuck about history or tradition, or sporting integrity, and just want money. You'd expect it from Chelsea to be fair, and "elite" Tottenham who win fuck all, but clubs like arsenal and liverpool, its embarrassing and a slap in the face of all those who formed and grew the clubs over the generations.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

What a complete abhorrent fùcking mess the entire thing is.

The plan is to immediately ban all clubs involved from all domestic and European competitions.

So this season's Europa League final is now already known to be Villarreal vs Roma.

And here's the best one.......

The Champions League final is now already known to be PSG vs Man City. Both of whom are glaring omissions from the list of Super League founding members but are obviously 2 of the 3 remaining clubs that haven't been announced and both are owned by Middle East oil.

I'm sure we'll know after the final has been played.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

The club has died.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:56 pm
What a complete abhorrent fùcking mess the entire thing is.

The plan is to immediately ban all clubs involved from all domestic and European competitions.

So this season's Europa League final is now already known to be Villarreal vs Roma.

And here's the best one.......

The Champions League final is now already known to be PSG vs Man City. Both of whom are glaring omissions from the list of Super League founding members but are obviously 2 of the 3 remaining clubs that haven't been announced and both are owned by Middle East oil.

I'm sure we'll know after the final has been played.

Man City are in the 12. All the "big" 6 are. There's a lot of misinformation around. Uefa haven't decided anything yet. Hopefully they'll show some balls and fuck the lot of them off, but nothing is certain yet. This absolute joke of a competition can't be allowed to happen like