European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: European Super League announced

Post by Nos89 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:46 am
Love em or hate em, a Euro Super League without Bayern Munich isn't quite so Super imo.
Given the last two times we played them, they beat us 10-2 on aggregate. I'm quite happy not to see them involved.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:46 am
Love em or hate em, a Euro Super League without Bayern Munich isn't quite so Super imo.
Given the last two times we played them, they beat us 10-2 on aggregate. I'm quite happy not to see them involved.
Expect regular scorelines like that anyway if it actually gets off the ground and we do participate.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

To be honest, it’s about time a new format for the CL was proposed because it seems mental to me that the top teams rarely play each other when that’s exactly what the global tv audience want to see (for example, how many times have Real Madrid played Man Utd in the last 10 years?)

A format that increases the number of big games isn’t necessarily a bad idea because the current CL format is boring until the semi finals and the odd quarter final tie.

Even “founding members “ makes sense but the main issue is that they can’t be relegated! :lol: You need relegation to keep the interest at the lower end of the table.... as well as keep a healthy churn of clubs getting promoted and keeping twats like Stan on their toes knowing the cash cow will only remain if they show ambition!

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

It's embarrassing that both Arsenal and Tottenham are in this Super League and no sign of Bayern or PSG.

Our worst season in 25 years and this happens, wow.

Kroenke knows if he doesn't invest now we will be the whipping boys season in season out.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:20 am
It's embarrassing that both Arsenal and Tottenham are in this Super League and no sign of Bayern or PSG.

Kroenke knows if he doesn't invest now we will be the whipping boys season in season out.
But does that matter? If its an 'invitation only' competition for members with no relegation or promotion and guaranteed shed loads of commercial income will it matter if we finish last or first? It has hardly mattered to him no longer being in the CL, as the cash now from BT/Sky/Amazon has dwarfed the amounts invested when he first took over 10 years ago. With JP Morgan and fuck knows who else throwing billions at this, the team finishing last will probably earn 10x what the winners of the CL currently do. If anything I can see him being even less interested in investing in the playing staff, as the finances will take care of themselves just being in the bloody thing

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 am
nut flush gooner wrote:

But does that matter? If its an 'invitation only' competition for members with no relegation or promotion and guaranteed shed loads of commercial income will it matter if we finish last or first? It has hardly mattered to him no longer being in the CL, as the cash now from BT/Sky/Amazon has dwarfed the amounts invested when he first took over 10 years ago. With JP Morgan and fuck knows who else throwing billions at this, the team finishing last will probably earn 10x what the winners of the CL currently do. If anything I can see him being even less interested in investing in the playing staff, as the finances will take care of themselves just being in the bloody thing
Well, this is the thing, how will it look if the Emirates is empty week in week out. We saw at the back end of Wengers reign the fans just didn't bother even though tickets were paid for. This time people won't renew season tickets if we have a team that doesn't compete. It will look awful for a "super league" to have a stadium that doesn't sell out. Remember we already have the most expensive tickets in world football.

I don't think even Kroenke is that stupid.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I've been saying for years that this was inevitable.
I'm actually in favour of it, even more so given the new proposed clge format.
The big clubs have nothing to gain by midweek trips to fucking Azerbijan and are fucked off with UEFA telling them what they can cannot do.
This competition will be massively sponsored and every game will be a "big game"
As for UEFA sanctions? The clubs won't give a shit, the money will be in this competition.
As for banning players from International football?
That would leave them with a Euros and World cup, contested by players not good enough for the Super League.
Bring it on!
Whilst our inclusion is based on previous years.
How in the name of living fuck are sperz in it!!!!

Block93

Post by Block93 »

My understanding with Bayern and Dortmund is that under Bundesliga rules, fans must own at least 51% of the clubs, so it's partly the fans' decision too, I think. But no way are these clubs going to miss out playing Europe's elite.....

Must have already been stated on this thread, but if we can't beat Fulham and the other rubbish down the bottom of the league, how on earth do we compete in this? Mind you, it's an easier qualification process than actually having to win football matches now and again.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

PSG aren’t joining at the moment because their Qatari owner sits on the UEFA executive committee. German clubs are 50% owned by fans so in a vote to join theres a chance it wouldn’t happen anyway.

Kroenke must be ecstatic that Arsenal will be given upwards of 300m to join. There will be a 250m fee to KSE for ‘admin fees’ and Arteta will be given 50m to transform the squad. :lol:

It won’t be long before top players are earning 1m a week, Elneny will be given a new contract on 250k a week. EasyJet will charge £1000 for flights from London to Madrid on match days, and our new club name will be ‘London Arsenal Rangers’ and the new kit will be in camouflage and we’ll be sponsored by the NRA with an AR-15 assault rifle as our badge. Fans will turn up at games wearing camo gear and Kroenke wigs which will be compulsory.
Can’t wait. :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:30 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Well, this is the thing, how will it look if the Emirates is empty week in week out. We saw at the back end of Wengers reign the fans just didn't bother even though tickets were paid for. This time people won't renew season tickets if we have a team that doesn't compete. It will look awful for a "super league" to have a stadium that doesn't sell out. Remember we already have the most expensive tickets in world football.

I think things like season tickets will become a thing of the past - this will no longer be football as we know it. Will there even be 'home' fans and 'away' fans. The tickets will be part of the 'matchday experience' and sold to whoever is prepared to pay - wouldn't surprise me if there were as many Barcelona 'fans' in the ground as Arsenal 'fans' when the teams meet.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:45 am
PSG aren’t joining at the moment because their Qatari owner sits on the UEFA executive committee. German clubs are 50% owned by fans so in a vote to join theres a chance it wouldn’t happen anyway.

Kroenke must be ecstatic that Arsenal will be given upwards of 300m to join. There will be a 250m fee to KSE for ‘admin fees’ and Arteta will be given 50m to transform the squad. :lol:

It won’t be long before top players are earning 1m a week, Elneny will be given a new contract on 250k a week. EasyJet will charge £1000 for flights from London to Madrid on match days, and our new club name will be ‘London Arsenal Rangers’ and the new kit will be in camouflage and we’ll be sponsored by the NRA with an AR-15 assault rifle as our badge. Fans will turn up at games wearing camo gear and Kroenke wigs which will be compulsory.
Can’t wait. :roll:
Our self appointed fashion designer of a right back (and yesterday's captain :banghead: :banghead: ) is already working on the design

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:30 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Fans and empty stadia really won't matter, this past year has shown them that. Real Madrid already play their games in a smaller ground, the Bernabeu hasn't been used. Expect the Emirates to be leased out for more concerts etc or maybe even sold off eventually. (Whatever brings in the most cash)

The revenue will come from sponsorship, TV deals and just for being in the damn competition. Maybe even expect the clubs to be given the right to control their own broadcasting companies as the Football League did with iFollow. Or some TV mogul in Italy to control sole rights. The earning possibilities are endless when the clubs control everything.

Honestly part of me wants this to happen so I can finally stop caring and investing any time or emotion into a game that no longer deserves either. I can't do it for myself so the choice will be made for me.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Bit of a dilemma for the players.....1m a week wages and no fans to adore them. I don't think I've heard any player say it's great not to have fans in the stadiums.
Arsenal v Barca.....category A game, £250 cheapest seat, programme costs £35, a glass of Zinfandel - £12 and a Prawn Vol-au-Vent - £9. Luvvly Jubbly.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:12 am
Bit of a dilemma for the players.....1m a week wages and no fans to adore them. I don't think I've heard any player say it's great not to have fans in the stadiums.
Arsenal v Barca.....category A game, £250 cheapest seat, programme costs £35, a glass of Zinfandel - £12 and a Prawn Vol-au-Vent - £9. Luvvly Jubbly.
They'll get their love from the new FB/Twitter style social media app created by the Super League where any dissenting posts will result in a user being banned.

Then they can kick back and read all the adoring posts whilst counting their £1m per week wages.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

UEFA giving off about greed, stinks of hypocrisy, they've milked the European competitions and the latest expanded clge format, which basically includes every tin pot lge in Europe, has forced the big clubs hands.
We need to embrace it and be thankful our name has secured us a place in it, because those left behind will be condemned to channel 5, so fuck off leicester, fuck off wolves, fuck off the stokes of the football world :barscarf: