European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: European Super League announced

Post by Gunner Rob »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:37 am
I've been saying for years that this was inevitable.
I'm actually in favour of it, even more so given the new proposed clge format.
The big clubs have nothing to gain by midweek trips to fucking Azerbijan and are fucked off with UEFA telling them what they can cannot do.
This competition will be massively sponsored and every game will be a "big game"
As for UEFA sanctions? The clubs won't give a shit, the money will be in this competition.
As for banning players from International football?
That would leave them with a Euros and World cup, contested by players not good enough for the Super League.
Bring it on!
Whilst our inclusion is based on previous years.
How in the name of living fuck are sperz in it!!!!
there are certainly pros and cons to the idea - UEFA is far from perfect and their new ideas are terrible
however ultimately I can't agree to a "closed shop" . Any idea that promotes the scum to forever being an elite football club is a bad one :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:18 am
UEFA giving off about greed, stinks of hypocrisy, they've milked the European competitions and the latest expanded clge format, which basically includes every tin pot lge in Europe, has forced the big clubs hands.
We need to embrace it and be thankful our name has secured us a place in it, because those left behind will be condemned to channel 5, so fuck off leicester, fuck off wolves, fuck off the stokes of the football world :barscarf:
I won't shed a single tear for UEFA or the death of the Champions League - I've been saying for years what a boring, bloated competition it is. What i can't have is a rich 'members only' club which sees the domestic game die a death which it surely will because if domestic clubs can't get promoted into it, then those leagues will be meaningless. The attraction of playing Barca and Real Madrid every few weeks will soon wear off when we're getting humped every week - lets face it, most of us got arsed off being in the CL such was our lack of competitiveness.

What this also does is cement Kroenke's long term future at the club - something I'd oppose at every level possible

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 am
goonersid wrote:
UEFA giving off about greed, stinks of hypocrisy, they've milked the European competitions and the latest expanded clge format, which basically includes every tin pot lge in Europe, has forced the big clubs hands.
We need to embrace it and be thankful our name has secured us a place in it, because those left behind will be condemned to channel 5, so fuck off leicester, fuck off wolves, fuck off the stokes of the football world :barscarf:
I won't shed a single tear for UEFA or the death of the Champions League - I've been saying for years what a boring, bloated competition it is. What i can't have is a rich 'members only' club which sees the domestic game die a death which it surely will because if domestic clubs can't get promoted into it, then those leagues will be meaningless. The attraction of playing Barca and Real Madrid every few weeks will soon wear off when we're getting humped every week - lets face it, most of us got arsed off being in the CL such was our lack of competitiveness.

What this also does is cement Kroenke's long term future at the club - something I'd oppose at every level possible
This is exactly the kind of thing Kroenke got involved for in the first place. A potential cash cow with hardly any outlay. Who cares if we're uncompetitive.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Funny as fuck, bbc1report on the super lge this morning, they mentioned the "top 6" whilst showing a montage of the teams holding aloft various trophies, they didn't have clip for sperz :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:52 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:38 am
goonersid wrote:

This is exactly the kind of thing Kroenke got involved for in the first place. A potential cash cow with hardly any outlay. Who cares if we're uncompetitive.
Exactly - the property portfolio has been milked and now its all about how much TV and sponsorship money can be rolled in using the American model. I'm guessing the financial prize for just participating in this league will be more than winning the PL and CL combined, so we are absolutely fucked if that happens because this c.unt will be living off the proceeds for another decade or more

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:58 am
Funny as fuck, bbc1report on the super lge this morning, they mentioned the "top 6" whilst showing a montage of the teams holding aloft various trophies, they didn't have clip for sperz :lol:
Surely they could have found some grainy black and white picture somewhere :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

This is the ONE chance that we will get of getting rid of Kroenke.
We haven’t been able to get rid of him by ourselves - let’s see whether he can cope by having the entire football fan base against him

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:20 am
We haven’t been able to get rid of him by ourselves - let’s see whether he can cope by having the entire football fan base against him
I'm hoping that the hypocritical moral outrage from the likes of Spiv Neville and the PL and UEFA and the FA spreads in football and in the media to the extent that the whole idea gets shitcanned (likely) and Wiggy Beaver Features is not bright enough (likely) to realise it was only ever some brinkmanship from the rich greedy clubs to get more money from the TV deals, and he gets angered with not getting his own way, spits the dummy, packs up his wig collection, and sells us (not very likely unfortunately).

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
I'm hoping that the hypocritical moral outrage from the likes of Spiv Neville and the PL and UEFA and the FA spreads in football and in the media to the extent that the whole idea gets shitcanned (likely) and Wiggy Beaver Features is not bright enough (likely) to realise it was only ever some brinkmanship from the rich greedy clubs to get more money from the TV deals, and he gets angered with not getting his own way, spits the dummy, packs up his wig collection, and sells us (not very likely unfortunately).
I doubt it DB, this has been coming for years.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Loads of negativity around the ESL. It's clear that it doesn't affect domestic league, only European competition.
If PSG and Bayern don't want to join why should we care? They clearly don't care about the damage they've done to their own domestic league.
I support this move. We will finally see some investment in the club.
Arsenal has always been a pioneering club. Why stop now. All this rhetoric about the club being "dead" to the fans. Fans own the club, Kroenke does.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Sitting watching Sky Sports and the opinions of such football luminaries as Stephen Warnock and some bint who played for Everton ladies. :roll:

Both saying why are Spurs included in this league, why are Arsenal? Neither have won the Champions League, neither have won any European trophy recently.

Not a single mention of Man City though. No mention of their lack of European pedigree and the fact that they have 1 CWC trophy, 50 years ago, to their name. At least we and the swamp dwellers have appeared in a Champions League Final.

Sky really are the pits of sports broadcasting. They love sucking up to the "in clubs". Sycophantic tossers the lot of em.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

If the reports are true that Mourinho was sacked because he refused to take training this morning, in opposition to the Super League plans then he has suddenly gone up a lot in my estimations of him :shock:

Liverpool fans expecting Klopp to resign as well

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

People championing this or even saying they don't care if it happens or not need to think very carefully about what it means. This thing will morph into a 20 team European league and it's only a matter of time before you'd see weakened league cup type teams take the field in the domestic leagues at the weekends so the bug guns could play midweek because the money this thing will generate will dwarf that of the domestic leagues.

This will kill the domestic leagues make no mistake about that,

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 am
People championing this or even saying they don't care if it happens or not need to think very carefully about what it means. This thing will morph into a 20 team European league and it's only a matter of time before you'd see weakened league cup type teams take the field in the domestic leagues at the weekends so the bug guns could play midweek because the money this thing will generate will dwarf that of the domestic leagues.

This will kill the domestic leagues make no mistake about that,
The clubs won't be playing in domestic competitions though. It's already been stated that if they compete in the Super League then they will be expelled.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Gunner Rob wrote:
gunner Rob - seriously? The Septics are only cementing their place at Arsenal for an eternity. They will fill the coffers for very little outlay.
They don't give 2 shits about you or me or anyone else. He doesn't care if 60,000 are slating him every week. The parasite has the money.