European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
cameron326

Re: European Super League announced

Post by cameron326 »

Ok you’d get a few pointless games around the bottom of the table after round 10 or so (eg with Arsenal and Tottenham having gained 6 points from 10 games) but the competition to finish in the top four qualifying places would be pretty intense and exciting through all fifteen games I’d imagine.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Would be no different to watching later stages of the CL tbh. The two-legged tie between PSG and Bayern was amazing to watch. These two teams aren't even in the ESL.

Just shows how far behind we are from the top clubs in Europe and comical we are being mentioned in the same breath.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bennett wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm
Couldn't agree more. Club I've supported all my life(,and my old man, kids, uncles, grandparents) not getting another penny from me even if decision reversed. I am truly embarrassed. I'll be spending money at Colchester United where my 14 year old daughter is in Academy....a local, community club, who need money and care about supporters, people and reality. Wiggy, you absolute, destructive, horrible,avarcious parasite c@@@
good decision.
however the leech that is Kroenke has been the owner for about a decade now.
why has it taken so long ? :D

I think we are stuffed either way - we either stay as things are in mid table obscurity, with maybe a distant dream of getting into a Euro competition every few years, OR in the closed shop of a Super League getting beaten up week in week out but with no worry about relegation.

for us as fans I don't think we will lose as much as other clubs - basically we have nothing much to lose anymore/

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Clash wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:47 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:38 am
Loads of negativity around the ESL. It's clear that it doesn't affect domestic league, only European competition.
If PSG and Bayern don't want to join why should we care? They clearly don't care about the damage they've done to their own domestic league.
I support this move. We will finally see some investment in the club.
Arsenal has always been a pioneering club. Why stop now. All this rhetoric about the club being "dead" to the fans. Fans own the club, Kroenke does.
Really mate?

So teams like Leicester and West Ham who are close to finishing in the CL places this season, will not get to play against the best of Europe and you say the domestic league won't be affected? Everton (a bigger club than Liverpool in the lifetime of some on here) can win the title and not get ''invited'' to take part.

And historic dross like the scum and currently our lot will be guaranteed a place even if relegated from our domestic league because we're one of the ''founder members''.

Also, the wealth of this ''big six'' (:roll) will massively increase while the rest of the English league suffers the opposite. So the gap gets bigger and the game becomes even more predictable than it already is.

This will be absolute shite, 100% guaranteed. One thing the CL did for me is ruin the aura that clubs like Juventus and Real Madrid once has because the saturated coverage of football has made me sick of seeing them. I have no interest in seeing us play only against them and not against the likes of Norwich, Wolves. etc. And do we really want to play Man United, Liverpool, Man City, etc. 4 times every season? How boring will that become? Especially if our pitiful recent record against them continues.

As for what it will do to the domestic cups? They've already been severely damaged by the greed in the game. What's it going to become now?

For Arsenal fans, this competition (if you can even call it a competition) will be utterly pointless. Our cunnt of an owner will have no interest in winning it so we'll just be a club that makes up the numbers. That will be our existence - maybe it already is as far as the PL goes. But at least we can still win cups. We will have NOTHING!

Hope the PL kicks all six out and UEFA does the same.

They wont of course. They'll cave like they always do. Sky TV will fight for the rights to cover it and then hype it up, forgetting their initial condemnation ... and the likes of Ratface Neville & co will probably change their tune too.

Absolute modern football bollocks x1m :banghead:
Agree with 99% mate...just the west ham bit.....see that as a bonus if that shite miss out on playing top teams in europe....fucking low life wankers

Clash

Post by Clash »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:18 pm
Agree with 99% mate...just the west ham bit.....see that as a bonus if that shite miss out on playing top teams in europe....fucking low life wankers
:lol: Not gonna argue with that mate.

And that is also the ridiculousness of the CL - that a team like West Ham, who have never been Champions, can still qualify for a Champions league competition.

Clash

Post by Clash »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:37 pm
You'll end up with the modern floater fans in the ground not the historical club supporters which suits the clubs revenue streams, as said above the loss of say 50M in supporters tickets sales will be swallowed up by the other huge financial gains. Never underestimate these twats when it comes to making money.

We like to think they are stupid and don't understand football which may be true but they understand enough to know where their revenue streams will come from and how to maximise them, if they didn't think they'd make more money from this, understanding the fan backlash they may face, they wouldn't be doing it, or certainly wouldn't be doing it as publically as they are :rubchin:
Agreed Muzz

The thing about paying TV audiences is that it doesn't matter who they are. Arsenal's core support (including those of us on here) can boycott all we like but if 400m Asians watch these ESL then our protest makes no difference. Even if empty seats in the Emirates doesn't look good for sponsors, the ''founder members'' can do what they want with their own creation so who's gonna stop them playing games all over the world? If you cannot fill the clubs home ground in London, you probably will fill many other grounds in many other cities.

As you rightly say, these people do not need to understand the mindset of football fans anymore or respect them. All they need is to know what makes money and they almost certainly do know that :banghead: .

John F

Post by John F »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Bennett wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Club I've supported all my life(,and my old man, kids, uncles, grandparents) not getting another penny from me even if decision reversed. I am truly embarrassed. I'll be spending money at Colchester United where my 14 year old daughter is in Academy....a local, community club, who need money and care about supporters, people and reality. Wiggy, you absolute, destructive, horrible,avarcious parasite c@@@
good decision.

I think we are stuffed either way - we either stay as things are in mid table obscurity, with maybe a distant dream of getting into a Euro competition every few years, OR in the closed shop of a Super League getting beaten up week in week out but with no worry about relegation.

for us as fans I don't think we will lose as much as other clubs - basically we have nothing much to lose anymore/
Clutching at straws here. The only positive I am hoping for out of this is that the backlash will make this SL deal dead in the water and will shine the spotlight on publicity-shy Wiggy. Hopefully, it might make him think about selling up if he can't make huge bucks out of the club and is receiving a hostile reception in this country.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

John F wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:42 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Bennett wrote:
good decision.

Clutching at straws here. The only positive I am hoping for out of this is that the backlash will make this SL deal dead in the water and will shine the spotlight on publicity-shy Wiggy. Hopefully, it might make him think about selling up if he can't make huge bucks out of the club and is receiving a hostile reception in this country.
Trouble there John is Wiggy doesn't live in this country so he's not going to receive any abuse walking around Waitrose doing his weekly shop is he.

Like with everything else he'll just sit back in his 10,000 acre home in Misouri and count his dollars.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

People arguing against my point about floating fans need to remember we're not talking about dead rubbers against Burnley, Fulham or even Everton or crap games against the European elite of Dundalk, Slavia or some far, far Eastern 'European' team in the steppes of Asia whose name I cant even remember but against teams like Barca, Real or Juventus which many 'fans' and even some supporters will definitely pay to watch :rubchin:

nut flush gooner

https://twitter.com/ChristianRad/status ... 4592182273

Reports that RM, Chelski and City getting kicked out of the CL this week.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

safcftm wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:26 pm
Genuinely feel sorry for your fans. The club has just proved (as if we didn't already know) how little they give a fuck about the match going fans and the local community. Wanting to move to an invitation only tournament to protect revenue. Won't be long before they decide the games can be played in Asia. Hell maybe the "arsenal gunners" will move to Beijing for the money. I'm glad that every supporters trust of the clubs involved is coming out against this. For the good of football the clubs need to be kicked out of the Premier league. Nothing against the fans of the clubs, it's a consequence of foreign owners coming in who don't give a fuck about history or tradition, or sporting integrity, and just want money. You'd expect it from Chelsea to be fair, and "elite" Tottenham who win fuck all, but clubs like arsenal and liverpool, its embarrassing and a slap in the face of all those who formed and grew the clubs over the generations.
Good to see you alive and well safcftm - we have missed you

And a very well worded post, football is just about ready to eat itself and these “super” clubs couldn’t care less.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:22 pm
https://twitter.com/ChristianRad/status ... 4592182273

Reports that RM, Chelski and City getting kicked out of the CL this week.
If that happens then we will get kicked out of the Europa. :banghead:
Imagine getting kicked out because your owner got too greedy! :oops:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

And does it mean the losing quarter finalists will be reinstated? Can't see UEFA forgoing the revenue from 2 semis and a final.

Liverpool* get lucky again.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Just watching a discussion with spit the Scouse and Rat-Face on Sky sports news and although they are making some good points i can't take them seriously after the amount of money they've made out of it all over the years including working for Sky :roll:

However there was a point made about the 14 other teams potentially being able to expel the 'big 6' and how the money always goes to the bigger more successful clubs but surely the point being that those big 6 have brought in more money because of their popularity and success than the other 14 over the years.

Football has eaten its own arse over the last 20-30 years and unfortunately we loyal fans are the ones who get the shit rubbed in our faces over and over but in our case it was a group of supporters who brought the money grabbing leech into the fold and i don't remember many other supporters groups marching against the Wiggy one so all those fan groups mouthing off now maybe should look at themselves, they have actively enabled this to happen along with supporters groups from other big 6 clubs who were happy when the money was rolling in and buying success :roll:

nut flush gooner

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:54 pm
Just watching a discussion with spit the Scouse and Rat-Face on Sky sports news and although they are making some good points i can't take them seriously after the amount of money they've made out of it all over the years including working for Sky :roll:

However there was a point made about the 14 other teams potentially being able to expel the 'big 6' and how the money always goes to the bigger more successful clubs but surely the point being that those big 6 have brought in more money because of their popularity and success than the other 14 over the years.

Football has eaten its own arse over the last 20-30 years and unfortunately we loyal fans are the ones who get the shit rubbed in our faces over and over but in our case it was a group of supporters who brought the money grabbing leech into the fold and i don't remember many other supporters groups marching against the Wiggy one so all those fan groups mouthing off now maybe should look at themselves, they have actively enabled this to happen along with supporters groups from other big 6 clubs who were happy when the money was rolling in and buying success :roll:
Yep no mention of the 1992 power grab. Taking football from free to air to pay tv,

Sky sports are just a bunch of tossers.