European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
arrgee

Re: European Super League announced

Post by arrgee »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm
Uefa and Fifa, Two of the most corrupt and immoral organisations on the planet who have ignored match-fixing, drug cheating, money laundering, child traffiking, racism and human rights abuses for 50 years, now suddenly want to care about morality and ethics in football. You reap what you sow.
Again I totally agree.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

What a complete mess!
Anyway absolutely no chance this will go ahead, so I’m just looking at the positives .
Already been a protest against Kroenke tonight down at the Emirates - more of that to come I hope :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:39 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:50 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:12 am
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:23 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 pm
If this is an alternative to UEFA competitions, not domestic leagues then I'll support the move. As an organisation, UEFA has been proven as being bad for football. A rival organisation would be good for football.
Premier League at the weekend, European Super League midweek then fine.
If it means opting out of the domestic league then, no, I would not support that.
Far be it for me to stand up for the corrupt c.unts at uefa and fifa, but a lot of what is wrong with the game has come from wealthy clubs looking to maximise money. Forming the premier league was all about money, most of the "fit and proper" tests for new owners is about keeping the status quo and not allowing clubs like the geordies break in with new money. Expanding the champs league, firstly to 2 teams and now at four teams for big countries, is all about the bigger clubs putting a safety net to ensure that they will be in it most seasons. Expanding the uefa and world cup finals is again about reducing chances of a big country not qualifying, and of course increasing the number of countries in it will increase the value of tv rights and buys votes.

If uefa had of stood up to the big clubs years ago when they fought to increase the champs league, the chances are that this breakaway would have happened then. Uefa bowed to the big clubs back then, and they have bent over for them every day since. When some people knock my love of nfl, I point out to them the financial parity system that they use and how it is a far better and fairer system - what we have now in football is a game run by greedy owners and clubs, and supported by greedy players, and I hope it crashes and burns
Isn't that what the people setting up the ESL trying to achieve? The soccer equivalent to the NFL. No relegation. Money gets spread amongst the participating clubs and the league administrators.
Now I can understand why so many American sport franchise owners have been buying into football clubs over the last few years, so they can join this league once it has been created.
UEFA / FIFA would never have stood up to the big clubs because the people running those organisation enjoyed being flirted with by the big clubs, because they were never good enough players to play for them.
The American owners don't give a shit about the big football clubs because they have no emotional attachment to football. It's just a profitable business.
Also, UEFA has done fuck all to reinvest money into grass roots football and the women's game. It remains a chauvinistic, racist organisation. Needs to be confined to history, along with FIFA.
The ESL will match the NFL structure. So, with that I'd imagine the financial parity it offers will match that of the NFL.
Sky created the monster that is the premier league and they're fearing for their future because they'll be left with the EFL, F1 and cricket. And F1 will be moving from them to a bigger platform such as Netflix or Amazon in the near future.

You left out a fundamental part of the nfl model which will not be in play here - the salary cap. Yes those salaries are off the chart, but every team has a total salary cap that is equal to their rivals. In football we can agree to pay real madrid and ath madrid equal prize money, but real madrids commercial and merchandise income would blow ath madrid out of the water, so where is the parity in that ?
There is absolutely no difference to what it is now. Real Madrid commercial and merchandising income blows most clubs out the water now. Apart from salary cap not much difference to NFL.

A salary cap is integral part of the nfl and makes all clubs even and no club has an advantage - that is the practice in the nfl, it is not the practice in the current football world, and will not be the practice in the european super league, so it will be nothing like the nfl

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

The salary cap is a sound concept and probably the only thing I'd take from the NFL model.

Tell me though Augie is it just the salaries that the franchises pay their players? Does it include appearance bonuses, image rights and things like that? I have no interest in the game so my knowledge is limited.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Sky only care now because it effects them, the don’t give a flying fuck when it effects you.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

It's beyond infuriating to see *word censored* like Neville paraded as some sort of hero on this issue when most of what he says is bollox and deeply hypocritical. If Kroenke sold us tomorrow and some guy came in throwing endless amounts of money at us we would shoot up the table, how is this not an issue? How many titles have been won by manufactured clubs over the years? The natural progression from buying titles is something like this new league. Maybe If *word censored* like him called this out years ago, then realistic change could have happened before the rich became richer. You can be guaranteed as soon as this proposal dies, he'll be off his soap box and pretending all is well in the sport again.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Out of all the founding members, I have a horrible feeling this bold power play will impact Arsenal the most.

I can see us being kicked out of Europe this season along with the other founding members (quite rightly too) and then, after negotiations, the Super league will either be delayed or binned meaning European competitions will continue next season as normal... without Arsenal of course as we won’t have qualified whereas most of the other founding members will have! :lol:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

A bit left field but like most football fans I ignored why Balogun signed/is about to sign a new contract with the club.

Clearly part of the sales pitch from Arsenal must have revolved around the ESL. Both Balogun and his agents would have been kicking themselves if he had gone to another club possibly in Germany that were not involved,

I can only conclude that both he and his agent had an inkling about what was going on. This didn't just appear overnight.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:21 am
A bit left field but like most football fans I ignored why Balogun signed/is about to sign a new contract with the club.

Clearly part of the sales pitch from Arsenal must have revolved around the ESL. Both Balogun and his agents would have been kicking themselves if he had gone to another club possibly in Germany that were not involved,

I can only conclude that both he and his agent had an inkling about what was going on. This didn't just appear overnight.
Doubt it to be honest.

It seems players and managers are basically saying they didn’t know about the ESL plan until it was leaked to the press. I can believe that as it appears to be a decision made at CEO/owner level.

In any case, in most companies, employees are usually the last to know... especially if it’s significant news that can influence/impact the stock market or current/future multi-million (or billion!) £ commercial contracts.

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

Glorified Emirates Cup. No history, no consequences, no interest. You'd think the absence of supporters at stadiums and the attending lack of engagement would have taught them that supporters passion is the main ingredient to success but no - put in and keep VAR, put in a mickey mouse competition just for tv rights money in asia, laughable. Good on the Deutchers for keeping it real.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:06 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:03 pm
If this means a return to pre-Premier league era football then I’m all for it. We want dodgy kits, overweight centre backs, talentless hard-men and the return of a Tuesday Club approach. Proper men’s football. Let them have their Super League. We want our pub league back!! :cheers: :cheers:
I've heard you just need to go watch DB10s 5-aside team for that :rubchin: :wink:
Is that the midget team? I never minded Tony Cottee to be fair.
Uh oh, two more tubby little ewoks to add to the gang. OneBard and Lefty will be thrilled. And engorged. :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:55 am
Out of all the founding members, I have a horrible feeling this bold power play will impact Arsenal the most.

I can see us being kicked out of Europe this season along with the other founding members (quite rightly too) and then, after negotiations, the Super league will either be delayed or binned meaning European competitions will continue next season as normal... without Arsenal of course as we won’t have qualified whereas most of the other founding members will have! :lol:
Or a points reduction plunging us into a relegation fight.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

there has to be a very real chance we could get relegated here - the owners will never be forgiven if that happens

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

In all the feux outrage most people are missing one salient point which Rat Face Neville made last night. When you think about it it actually is a fairly decent one from a business viewpoint.

Supposedly Man U have 150M supporters world wide, currently for those who can't attend matches they have to pay Sky/Amazon etc to watch their team from which only a relatively small fraction of that money comes back to the club whereas if Man U were in charge of the viewing rights the vast majority of it would come back to the club, up to 60 matches a season that could be 9Bn a year if they charged just £1 per match on pay per view..... We've probably got 100M fans so even that would be a significant revenue increase for us.

Now think about UEFA/FIFA taking their cut of the money currently available for doing next to nothing, their proposed plan to change the ECL etc increase their take again for doing next to nothing but for the biggest teams the changes actually increase costs but for only a very small increase financially.... I know there a lot of ifs, buts and maybes there but from a purely business point of view you begin to understand why the club owners want to increase their cut of the pie and why they are making this power play especially right now when fans aren't in grounds to protest and especially when Sky and their pet pundits etc are making complete arses of themselves with the 'outrage' :rubchin:

Anyway looking back this what was meant by competing (or not) with Europe's elite :lol:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

This may be our best opportunity to get rid of Kronke , say fan power works and there us gonna be a massive uprising and Kronke doesn't get his way he may fuck off . This is what he's been waiting for and if he realises we won't succumb to his ambitions may sell up. Needs to be a huge uprising to get rid of all the yanks from our game .