European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
arrgee

Re: European Super League

Post by arrgee »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:53 pm
arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:43 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:25 pm
no chance it happening - there are just far too many obstacles - the players dont want it, the managers dont want it, the fans dont want it.
the government could decide to not give work permits to any overseas player, they can decide not to police matches so they couldnt go ahead.
any fans that decide to attend matches here would be subject to massive harassment, in Liverpool you would probably have full scale city riots if the Merseyside derby didnt take place any more.

if the owners decide it cant take place here then they will move the clubs abroad - good then that will leave the stadiums free for Phoenix clubs to take over here in their place and we can get back to normal.#
The circus can be left to the Chinese to watch it. Better still move the whole bloody thing to China and get their players to take part in it :D
UEFA don’t want it as it will mean their 20% cut will be worth far less. I would dispute that players, managers and fans don’t want it. I think there has been a knee jerk reaction and a lot of grandstanding. Ultimately UEFA have failed to create an elite competition in the last 30 years and the big clubs have had enough. The likes of Kroenke doesn’t see any good reason why Arsenal should be excluded from the main competition in Europe because there are at least half a dozen top clubs in England whilst the Danish champions qualify and get soundly beaten in the group stages.

I am all for reforming European football. It has turned into a predictable bore fest. UEFA are incapable of making the necessary changes and whilst this super league proposal is not perfect, it appears better than what is currently in place.
how is a closed shop league better than what is in place ???
it will destroy football in this country.

anyway the whole thing is dead in the water so won't happen.
A competition where teams at a similar level has to be better in principle than a competition where the competitors are determined by geography. I stated earlier I don’t think the closed shop aspect is acceptable, but in principle I am all for the top 20 clubs in Europe to play each other in a competition. The top 20 should not be set in stone and there must be opportunities for others to challenge and take the places of those who are not performing.

Gunner Rob

Re: European Super League announced

Post by Gunner Rob »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:56 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
arrgee wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
no chance it happening - there are just far too many obstacles - the players dont want it, the managers dont want it, the fans dont want it.
the government could decide to not give work permits to any overseas player, they can decide not to police matches so they couldnt go ahead.
any fans that decide to attend matches here would be subject to massive harassment, in Liverpool you would probably have full scale city riots if the Merseyside derby didnt take place any more.

if the owners decide it cant take place here then they will move the clubs abroad - good then that will leave the stadiums free for Phoenix clubs to take over here in their place and we can get back to normal.#
The circus can be left to the Chinese to watch it. Better still move the whole bloody thing to China and get their players to take part in it :D
UEFA don’t want it as it will mean their 20% cut will be worth far less. I would dispute that players, managers and fans don’t want it. I think there has been a knee jerk reaction and a lot of grandstanding. Ultimately UEFA have failed to create an elite competition in the last 30 years and the big clubs have had enough. The likes of Kroenke doesn’t see any good reason why Arsenal should be excluded from the main competition in Europe because there are at least half a dozen top clubs in England whilst the Danish champions qualify and get soundly beaten in the group stages.

I am all for reforming European football. It has turned into a predictable bore fest. UEFA are incapable of making the necessary changes and whilst this super league proposal is not perfect, it appears better than what is currently in place.

Where are you getting dead in the water from?

I've heard/read nothing to suggest that at all.
well I just wrote it and you read it 8)

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:05 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
arrgee wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

A competition where teams at a similar level has to be better in principle than a competition where the competitors are determined by geography. I stated earlier I don’t think the closed shop aspect is acceptable, but in principle I am all for the top 20 clubs in Europe to play each other in a competition. The top 20 should not be set in stone and there must be opportunities for others to challenge and take the places of those who are not performing.
the whole point of all this is that it is set in stone.
the owners like Kroenke want the certainty to know that their team is in the elite competition.
he then doesnt need to do anything else apart from watch the money roll in.
enter this then he can sell all the best players to make even more money because we wont be needing anyone good ever again.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:07 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:56 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
arrgee wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

Where are you getting dead in the water from?

I've heard/read nothing to suggest that at all.
well I just wrote it and you read it 8)
So just your opinion then with no basis in fact?

OK. :roll:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:10 pm
arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:05 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
arrgee wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

the whole point of all this is that it is set in stone.
the owners like Kroenke want the certainty to know that their team is in the elite competition.
he then doesnt need to do anything else apart from watch the money roll in.
enter this then he can sell all the best players to make even more money because we wont be needing anyone good ever again.
As I wrote, it is not perfect and that is the big sticking point for me. If the 12 founder clubs came out and stated that it would be based on merit, would everyone accept it? I think there has to be form of relegation to keep Kroenke honest which I posted earlier.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Yeah I know Amazon have existing deals with some leagues (PL included) but there was zero onus on them to make any sort of statement about it but yet they’ve felt the need to release one.

If a company as big as that are running for cover on day 2 to avoid being contaminated with the shit that’s spraying everywhere from this thing then I’d be massively concerned if I was one of the rats trying to orchestrate it.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

And that is the big, scary fact for me that nobody seems to realise.

We all know that our owner isn't ambitious on the sporting front. So with a SL place that is never under threat and billions in revenue available regardless of how you perform I can see Wiggy selling off any and every decent asset and be happy to finish bottom every year.

He won't care if the money just keeps rolling in.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

This may happen, or it may not. Whether it does or not depends mainly if not entirely on whether the broadcasters who the clubs were banking on competing for the rights believe it will ultimately be toxic for their brands or not. We have to remember that just because there is universal fury and condemnation among committed supporters of the clubs who go back generations and pay to attend matches, that doesn't mean that the global fan bases which have grown exponentially in the past 20 years will see it as such a bad thing.

What it certain is that the Government's bombastic attempts to use their legislative muscle to sink it will not work. If they introduce new ownership rules (like those which apply in Germany) or threaten an extortionate windfall tax, then the owners will not hesitate to move the clubs abroad and run them as franchises.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:17 pm
goonersid wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:45 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:31 am
Terrible day for football. Effectively ending upwards mobility by killing the chance to join the elite in the champions league by making top competition close ended. The r :lol: :lol: ise and fall of football clubs has always been part of the game, now its over.

I also dont now how to feel about the fact we are one of twelve guilt for this atrocity. Were the fucking villains. I imagine this is how the good Germans felt watching their country became the bad guys of the world in the 1930's.
no it is not because it won't go ahead
Oh yes it will Rob, neither UEFA nor anyone else can stop it!
They can threaten, ban or whatever else, but any action they take against the top clubs, will merely weaken what they are trying to "protect" and I use the word "protect" reservedly, as they are merely trying to protect their own interests!
UEFA is no longer fit for purpose, Perez is right, football needs revamped and made more attractive!
Games against dross from the shittiest leagues in eastern Europe, are fucking pointless and a borefest!
UEFA has had it's way for too long!
Look at our elge final against the Chavs, where two English teams and their fans were made to travel to fucking Baku! Holy Jesus Christ!
Where was the common sense and respect for the fans, shown by UEFA?
Despite pleas to move the game to London, Baku could still have had their financial reward!
No UEFA basically told the two clubs and fans to fuck off!
I've been saying for years this would happen, long before talks were leaked a couple of years ago.
I personally back it 100%
I'm sure that after a settling in period, there will he plans for relegation and promotion introduced!
:lol: :lol:
if they did get to go ahead why on earth would they introduce that at some point ??
Because this is how they will ultimately sell it to the masses!
The league will have to have some kind of competitive edge, it cant just have Arsenal finishing bottom every season :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm
This may happen, or it may not. Whether it does or not depends mainly if not entirely on whether the broadcasters who the clubs were banking on competing for the rights believe it will ultimately be toxic for their brands or not. We have to remember that just because there is universal fury and condemnation among committed supporters of the clubs who go back generations and pay to attend matches, that doesn't mean that the global fan bases which have grown exponentially in the past 20 years will see it as such a bad thing.

What it certain is that the Government's bombastic attempts to use their legislative muscle to sink it will not work. If they introduce new ownership rules (like those which apply in Germany) or threaten an extortionate windfall tax, then the owners will not hesitate to move the clubs abroad and run them as franchises.
yes and as I have already said then that's fine by me.
the stadiums and the fanbase will still be here and so new clubs can be formed to take their place.
if the Premier League had any sense those new clubs would be invited into the Premier League and you have things back to normal (minus the overseas owners) Lots of clubs have gone through name changes (us included) but effectively it is the same team.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Yeah I know Amazon have existing deals with some leagues (PL included) but there was zero onus on them to make any sort of statement about it but yet they’ve felt the need to release one.

If a company as big as that are running for cover on day 2 to avoid being contaminated with the shit that’s spraying everywhere from this thing then I’d be massively concerned if I was one of the rats trying to orchestrate it.

I made that very point yesterday - everyone just assumes that companies will be falling over themselves to throw sponsorship at this new league, but the reality is that no big business will want to be associated any project that has had the massive backlash that this has and will continue to have. Some people look at fans purely as through the gate income, but they are also merchandise buyers and potential customers for sponsors, so any serious boycott would have serious financial implications

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

goonersid wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:36 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:17 pm
goonersid wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:16 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:45 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:31 am
Terrible day for football. Effectively ending upwards mobility by killing the chance to join the elite in the champions league by making top competition close ended. The r :lol: :lol: ise and fall of football clubs has always been part of the game, now its over.

I also dont now how to feel about the fact we are one of twelve guilt for this atrocity. Were the fucking villains. I imagine this is how the good Germans felt watching their country became the bad guys of the world in the 1930's.
no it is not because it won't go ahead
Oh yes it will Rob, neither UEFA nor anyone else can stop it!
They can threaten, ban or whatever else, but any action they take against the top clubs, will merely weaken what they are trying to "protect" and I use the word "protect" reservedly, as they are merely trying to protect their own interests!
UEFA is no longer fit for purpose, Perez is right, football needs revamped and made more attractive!
Games against dross from the shittiest leagues in eastern Europe, are fucking pointless and a borefest!
UEFA has had it's way for too long!
Look at our elge final against the Chavs, where two English teams and their fans were made to travel to fucking Baku! Holy Jesus Christ!
Where was the common sense and respect for the fans, shown by UEFA?
Despite pleas to move the game to London, Baku could still have had their financial reward!
No UEFA basically told the two clubs and fans to fuck off!
I've been saying for years this would happen, long before talks were leaked a couple of years ago.
I personally back it 100%
I'm sure that after a settling in period, there will he plans for relegation and promotion introduced!
:lol: :lol:
if they did get to go ahead why on earth would they introduce that at some point ??
Because this is how they will ultimately sell it to the masses!
The league will have to have some kind of competitive edge, it cant just have Arsenal finishing bottom every season :lol:
are you not getting this ?
the owners want to run this like the sports are run in the US.
they dont have any promotion and relegation, and why couldnt Arsenal finish bottom every season ?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:41 pm
rodders999 wrote:

I made that very point yesterday - everyone just assumes that companies will be falling over themselves to throw sponsorship at this new league, but the reality is that no big business will want to be associated any project that has had the massive backlash that this has and will continue to have. Some people look at fans purely as through the gate income, but they are also merchandise buyers and potential customers for sponsors, so any serious boycott would have serious financial implications
Augie there is a market of millions of fans in Asia and the Far East who have never set foot inside any of the stadiums. That's the demographic they'll be most keen on. China, Thailand, Malaysia etc will lap it up and will bring in the most revenue via TV subscriptions and advertising.

You've got to stop looking at this as an issue that just affects UK and Ireland. You can be sure that their number crunchers have studied the bigger picture.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:11 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:41 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Augie there is a market of millions of fans in Asia and the Far East who have never set foot inside any of the stadiums. That's the demographic they'll be most keen on. China, Thailand, Malaysia etc will lap it up and will bring in the most revenue via TV subscriptions and advertising.

You've got to stop looking at this as an issue that just affects UK and Ireland. You can be sure that their number crunchers have studied the bigger picture.
Agree. There are plenty of armchair fans in UK, Ireland and Scandinavia who will pay for it and lap it up as well.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

I see the spuds are nearly £1bn in debt. No wonder Levy must have been as keen to join as Kroenke.