European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bob Bayliss

Re: European Super League announced

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Too late. The club as it is today has shown its true colours.

When you despise the owner, the soulless stadium, have no respect for the Head Coach or the overblown modern executive structure (Edu etc) and value/relate to no more than 2 or 3 of those who now wear the shirts, you are left with love of what was, not what is.

Don't give a fuck about Villareal now.

shu

Post by shu »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:53 am
Too late. The club as it is today has shown its true colours.

When you despise the owner, the soulless stadium, have no respect for the Head Coach or the overblown modern executive structure (Edu etc) and value/relate to no more than 2 or 3 of those who now wear the shirts, you are left with love of what was, not what is.

Don't give a fuck about Villareal now.
And one by one I went thro those points and I was thinking correct correct correct etc . We had the Highbury days boys

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

safcftm wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:58 pm
Glad it's finally falling through. Now there needs to be real change. I've heard a lot of people saying the clubs should be kicked out of europe or given points deductions etc. They shouldn't be. That punishes the wrong people. Liverpool and Chelsea would have been two of the "winners" from this but their fans were out protesting. They don't deserve to be punished. The players and managers seemed to have no idea, they shouldn't be punished either. Some like rashford and Guardiola took a risk by speaking out about it.

What does need to happen is a proper look at football governance in this country. These owners have been coming here with the super league in mind, it's always been the end game. They see the market in Asia and in America and think they can take English clubs and move them to a franchise system. Had it happened there would be arsenal games in Asia, they might even move the whole club. These people are a threat to our clubs and to our pyramid and they need to be driven out. Whether it's legislation, whether its official fans groups having to agree to material changes like those proposed, something needs to happen to take the game back from these parasites and to ensure it can never be proposed again. I fully expect the "legacy" fans of the clubs involved will let the owners know exactly what they think of them. Kroenke tried to drag arsenal's name through the mud, to cast aside its reputation and history, I look forward to seeing you throwing the fucker out on his arse
Howya mate. Good to hear from you.

Agreed with every word too. Everyone knows UEFA and the current set up is far from ideal or honest but this closed shop super league bollocks would have been far far worse. Hopefully, from an Arsenal perspective anyway, the fall out from this is that parasites like wiggy beaver features either leaves Arsenal or is kicked out of the sport. But also there needs to be change at the top level of the game now.

I think what these money men underestimated is the very thing that first attracted me to English football and thats the history and traditions of the clubs. For every single snowflake twat that would have embraced this soulless super league they forgot the thousand genuine football fans that would abhor it.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

The Super League stuff all just seemed so amateur. From lack of press conferences, to lack of details, the clubs and ultra-billionaire owners getting “scared” by vague threats of legal action and angry pundits.

More to it than meets the eye, I’m sure.

The game as it was died IMO when Abrahmovich was allowed to throwing insane (for the time) amounts of dirty money at Chelsea from his Moscow mansion/super yacht. Of course you could go back even further and point the finger at Sky for purposefully exacerbating existing financial inequalities in the football pyramid.

As for Arsenal, I just wish we’d made a better fist of the Emirates stadium. Many fans will never feel happy there as it’s just not a very good FOOTBALL stadium. Not very good, is of course, being generous. The flashing dollar signs blinded them to the bigger picture (not least that we’d find it harder to win home games in a stadium whose design minimizes the advantage of 55,0000 fans routing for the home side). The fact that they had to spend a few years on “Arsenalfication” after it had opened was an embarrassing admission that building a footballing home - as opposed to a marketable piece of real estate for the global market - was simply an afterthought.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

cameron326 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 am
The Super League stuff all just seemed so amateur. From lack of press conferences, to lack of details, the clubs and ultra-billionaire owners getting “scared” by vague threats of legal action and angry pundits.

The game as it was died IMO when Abrahmovich was allowed to throwing insane (for the time) amounts of dirty money at Chelsea from his Moscow mansion/super yacht. Of course you could go back even further and point the finger at Sky for purposefully exacerbating existing financial inequalities in the football pyramid.

As for Arsenal, I just wish we’d made a better fist of the Emirates stadium. Many fans will never feel happy there as it’s just not a very good FOOTBALL stadium. Not very good, is of course, being generous. The flashing dollar signs blinded them to the bigger picture (not least that we’d find it harder to win home games in a stadium whose design minimizes the advantage of 55,0000 fans routing for the home side). The fact that they had to spend a few years on “Arsenalfication” after it had opened was an embarrassing admission that building a footballing home - as opposed to a marketable piece of real estate for the global market - was simply an afterthought.
That's why I'm not celebrating. Someone went boo and all these rich guys who were going to make a shit load of cash just dropped the idea. They didn't even put up a fight. Something stinks. And it isn't because the average fan was upset.
Our beloved overlord Enoch would be very confused about this. He would not understand why fans did not agree to this. Seemingly back at the top table more cash and even might have some money left over for players. Why did everyone fold at the first bluff.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 pm
Rob Holding is on Insta playing the champions league theme song on the piano.

What a fucking night :lol:
He needs to stick to being a footballer though!

:D :D :D

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

John Barnes been talking more sense across various media outlets than any of the other so-called football pundits. Especially Carragher and Neville.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

cameron326 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:24 am

Absolutely. Chavs fans leaping around and 'protesting' with home-made cardboard signs when they were the ones who fucking ruined modern competitive football nearly 20 years ago. Football has been truly fucked ever since that corrupt Russian prick bought that shithole of a club and pumped billions of his blood-stained illicit money into it as a way of 'legitimising' his fraud, corruption and money-laundering. Fuck the Premier League too for allowing this to happen, fuck them for pretending they don't know that this cünt and the cünts at Man City aren't horrible abusers of human rights and that this isn't some sort of horrific exploitation of banking laws, morality and human rights. Sky can fuck off too for constantly trotting out the whole "Well, Abramovich and Sheikh Mansour have been so good for the game, haven't they?" line because it makes their product seem more appealing. Why didn't they and the rest of the press turn round and say "Hmm, actually these take-overs completely ruin the competitive nature of the sport in England and will distort the finances of the entire industry?"
Nobody cares any more about the title race. Nobody bothers about transfers or records because the sums of money being spent mean the game isn't cyclical these days. If you have money, you just buy whatever and whoever who want until you achieve whatever it is you want to achieve. It's fucked and it's been fucked for good since the day that bearded corrupt Russian cünt was allowed to buy the nastiest, more racist club in Britain and turn turn them, in one fucking week from near bankruptcy to a major European force.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

John Barnes is an intelligent man .

And there's the difference

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:05 am
John Barnes been talking more sense across various media outlets than any of the other so-called football pundits. Especially Carragher and Neville.
Did he do the "after ninety minutes of shar hill" quote? Did he? Did he? :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:19 am
John Barnes is an intelligent man .

And there's the difference
He also doesn't spit at children.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am

Absolutely. Chavs fans leaping around and 'protesting' with home-made cardboard signs when they were the ones who fucking ruined modern competitive football nearly 20 years ago.
The fans are no more responsible for "ruining football nearly 20 years ago" than they are for the invention of the superleague.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

This needs to be the beginning of something not the end. Club owners, TV companies, UEFA, FIFA the whole fucking kit and caboodle need to be the next focus.

I'm massively in favour of the 50.1% fan ownership model, problem is these clubs are now worth so much is that even possible even if legislation is brought in?

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 am
This needs to be the beginning of something not the end. Club owners, TV companies, UEFA, FIFA the whole fucking kit and caboodle need to be the next focus.

I'm massively in favour of the 50.1% fan ownership model, problem is these clubs are now worth so much is that even possible even if legislation is brought in?

How can you force an owner to sell 51% of something that he bought legally ? That is what is cringy about all these soundbites coming from boris johnson about what he is gonna do to protect football fans and clubs - wtf can he do ??

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

NickF wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am

Absolutely. Chavs fans leaping around and 'protesting' with home-made cardboard signs when they were the ones who fucking ruined modern competitive football nearly 20 years ago.
The fans are no more responsible for "ruining football nearly 20 years ago" than they are for the invention of the superleague.
I meant the Chavs as a club. Not really the fans, their club. Having said that, I don't remember them being too bothered about money and greed in football in the summer of 2003.