European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: European Super League announced

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am
rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 am
This needs to be the beginning of something not the end. Club owners, TV companies, UEFA, FIFA the whole fucking kit and caboodle need to be the next focus.

I'm massively in favour of the 50.1% fan ownership model, problem is these clubs are now worth so much is that even possible even if legislation is brought in?

How can you force an owner to sell 51% of something that he bought legally ? That is what is cringy about all these soundbites coming from boris johnson about what he is gonna do to protect football fans and clubs - wtf can he do ??
There's ways and means around everything Augie, laws can change within countries, regulations change in business all the time that forces a radical rethink of how things get done and it's not like the wig wearing piece of shit will be left out of pocket, quite the opposite in fact.

Not being in the EU would also make those law changes a whole lot easier to bring in I'd imagine, told ya Brexit was worth it :wink:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

I'm delighted about the ESL crumbling but I'm shocked by the amount of delusional fans and pundits, who think their objection to the competition meant a bunch of billionaires changed their mind. Something happened behind the scenes to end all this. Some of our own fan base deserve huge criticism, those with lines like "I'l never watch us play again" - many of those same people happily have gone to the stadium since 2006, caked themselves out in gear from the armoury and never once questioned why that parasite Kroenke wouldn't give a cent towards improving us on the pitch, yet this was the final straw? They have done more to enable Kroenke and only see an issue now.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Politicians of all colours can go fuxk themselves, where were they when these clubs were being bought by the greedy bastard's in the first place.

The definition of a 'fit and proper' owner needs rewritten before anything else, just because someone can afford to own a club doesn't mean they should but hey as long as the tax bills are being paid all Governments aren't interested until there is a bandwagon to jump on.....

Much as I was against the idea of the ESL something needs to drastically change in world football but the way this backdown has happened indicates to me that the usual corruption behind the scenes has gone on and the recalcitrant owners of the '12' may have gotten at least some concessions.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:02 am
NickF wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:17 am

Absolutely. Chavs fans leaping around and 'protesting' with home-made cardboard signs when they were the ones who fucking ruined modern competitive football nearly 20 years ago.
The fans are no more responsible for "ruining football nearly 20 years ago" than they are for the invention of the superleague.
I meant the Chavs as a club. Not really the fans, their club. Having said that, I don't remember them being too bothered about money and greed in football in the summer of 2003.
Exactly.

I remember the racist cùnts running around in Russian hats and waving wedges of cash doing "bosh bosh loadsamoney" impressions.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
This needs to be the beginning of something not the end. Club owners, TV companies, UEFA, FIFA the whole fucking kit and caboodle need to be the next focus.

I'm massively in favour of the 50.1% fan ownership model, problem is these clubs are now worth so much is that even possible even if legislation is brought in?

How can you force an owner to sell 51% of something that he bought legally ? That is what is cringy about all these soundbites coming from boris johnson about what he is gonna do to protect football fans and clubs - wtf can he do ??
The 51% doesn't mean you have to have fans owning 51% of the club. Companies have voting shares and non voting shares. Legislation could be brought in requiring clubs to have no more than 100 voting shares, with fans groups required to be allowed 51 of those 100 shares. The owner might own the other 49 voting shares. Crucially the value of the club is in the million or however many non voting shares. So the owner still owns the vast, vast majority of the club. If he sells, he still gets 99.999% of the money. But a condition of owning a club is that they can't have enough of the voting shares to enable them to pull a move like this. The owner can then fund the club and take the profit, but the fans can ensure its ran for the benefit of the supporters and prevents a profit against all else approach

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

I would take no notice of a man who sells a £725m taxpayer funded stadium to Worst Ham for £15m up front and £2.5 m a year on a 99 year lease. He is clueless about most things including football.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:36 am
Much as I was against the idea of the ESL something needs to drastically change in world football but the way this backdown has happened indicates to me that the usual corruption behind the scenes has gone on and the recalcitrant owners of the '12' may have gotten at least some concessions.
UEFA must be laughing at this. I don’t think they will make any concessions. You have to wonder why the 12 handled this so badly. I suspect had the likes of David Dein being involved, this would have been sold so well that people would have wanted it. The biggest mistake the gang of 12 made was not to have prepared the ground.

They could have been pointing out the corruption of UEFA, that they were getting money for nothing, not taking racism seriously etc. in advance and then dropped this bombshell on the eve of the Europa League final.

I am not against the concept of the Super League. My only reservation was the closed shop aspect. It needs to be the top 20 clubs based on results and there must be opportunities for others to break into it. Relegating 4 sides every year would keep it fresh.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the snooze fests of the Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference next season. Hell, you never know Arsenal might even be participating.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Wouldn't be surprised if we all start with minus points next season.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

So if you listen to the Daily Hate Sky Sports and Talksport we should all bow down to the two men who have done more to kill football as we know it today Abramovich and Mansour.They are the saviours of football. Dont make me fucking laugh. .They signed up with the other 4 no one put a gun to their heads. But when it got a bit sticky the two richest owners turned their backs on it.And we get the media spouting Abramovich and Mansour are only in football for the glory.Pass the sick bucket. All 6 clubs were in it together and all 6 clubs should be punished together

As for the fake outrage on Sky Sports. They knew if the big 6 left the Premier league Sky would collapse.They rely on their overpriced subscriptions to keep them afloat.Who would to pay a £100 a month to watch Burnley v WBA and Fulham v Sheff Utd??? Do you think Sky will now reduce their prices? Will they fuck

The whole of football needs a shake up.We need the 51% rule brought in.We need a salary cap.Arsenal had paid two players Ozil and Aubameyang on £350k a week when we are in the Europa league!!!!! Ticket prices need to be drastically reduded. And the price of Sky subscriptions reduced

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to change how football is run.Fans wont get another chance.Its time for all Arsenal fans to BOYCOTT all games until that change happens. If it doesnt then fuck Arsenal.Fans continuing to go to games are supporting Kroenke

https://www.football365.com/news/mediaw ... d-innocent

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if we all start with minus points next season.
Are we brining Wenger and Cech back?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Ernie71 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:28 pm
So if you listen to the Daily Hate Sky Sports and Talksport we should all bow down to the two men who have done more to kill football as we know it today Abramovich and Mansour.They are the saviours of football. Dont make me fucking laugh. .They signed up with the other 4 no one put a gun to their heads. But when it got a bit sticky the two richest owners turned their backs on it.And we get the media spouting Abramovich and Mansour are only in football for the glory.Pass the sick bucket. All 6 clubs were in it together and all 6 clubs should be punished together

As for the fake outrage on Sky Sports. They knew if the big 6 left the Premier league Sky would collapse.They rely on their overpriced subscriptions to keep them afloat.Who would to pay a £100 a month to watch Burnley v WBA and Fulham v Sheff Utd??? Do you think Sky will now reduce their prices? Will they fuck

The whole of football needs a shake up.We need the 51% rule brought in.We need a salary cap.Arsenal had paid two players Ozil and Aubameyang on £350k a week when we are in the Europa league!!!!! Ticket prices need to be drastically reduded. And the price of Sky subscriptions reduced

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to change how football is run.Fans wont get another chance.Its time for all Arsenal fans to BOYCOTT all games until that change happens. If it doesnt then fuck Arsenal.Fans continuing to go to games are supporting Kroenke

https://www.football365.com/news/mediaw ... d-innocent
I have stated this at various different times over the past decade on here and consistently been told that this will be impossible.
I have continually replied that Kroenke will therefore remain and that we will get worse as a team. This has happened.

maybe the pandemic will stop people returning, I dont know, but I doubt it.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

safcftm wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:45 am
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

The 51% doesn't mean you have to have fans owning 51% of the club. Companies have voting shares and non voting shares. Legislation could be brought in requiring clubs to have no more than 100 voting shares, with fans groups required to be allowed 51 of those 100 shares. The owner might own the other 49 voting shares. Crucially the value of the club is in the million or however many non voting shares. So the owner still owns the vast, vast majority of the club. If he sells, he still gets 99.999% of the money. But a condition of owning a club is that they can't have enough of the voting shares to enable them to pull a move like this. The owner can then fund the club and take the profit, but the fans can ensure its ran for the benefit of the supporters and prevents a profit against all else approach
I actually didn't realise that's how it worked, I thought the fans as a collective would have to stump up the cash to buy 50.1% worth of the club back, which at over a billion quid would have been some task with a 100 quid being thrown in here and there!

I was working out ways to tell her indoors we weren't going on holiday this year :wink:

That method sounds very doable if the will is there which after this fiasco you'd home it is.

wibble

Post by wibble »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:05 am
John Barnes been talking more sense across various media outlets than any of the other so-called football pundits. Especially Carragher and Neville.
Yeah he seems to be the only pundit acknowledging that this isn’t a victory for the fans but for the corrupt greedy bastards already in charge

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Auba's put his big boy pants on, apologised (in a way) and is back on twitter.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wrighty now posting #kroenkeOut apparently....