European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: European Super League announced

Post by GoonerMuzz »

You'll end up with the modern floater fans in the ground not the historical club supporters which suits the clubs revenue streams, as said above the loss of say 50M in supporters tickets sales will be swallowed up by the other huge financial gains. Never underestimate these twats when it comes to making money.

We like to think they are stupid and don't understand football which may be true but they understand enough to know where their revenue streams will come from and how to maximise them, if they didn't think they'd make more money from this, understanding the fan backlash they may face, they wouldn't be doing it, or certainly wouldn't be doing it as publically as they are :rubchin:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:58 am
Funny as fuck, bbc1report on the super lge this morning, they mentioned the "top 6" whilst showing a montage of the teams holding aloft various trophies, they didn't have clip for sperz :lol:
Probably because British Pathe hold the copyright.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 pm

TV fans are all that will be important mate. The people through the turnstiles won't matter a jot. They'll go down as Sundries in the credit column.

TV subscriptions, multiple ad breaks, advertising all over the screen whilst the game is going on (exactly as NBCSN and Peacock do now in the States). That's where the revenue will be earned. Not from the likes of us buying a tepid hot dog and an equally tepid pint at half time.
Agreed. Around 150,000 paid £15 to watch Arsenal v Leicester on TV in the UK alone. Ignoring corporates, the income probably matches the normal gate at a home game. Then add in the advertising, sponsorship and worldwide broadcast fees and it dwarfs the income from 50,000 Arsenal STHs and members no matter how many pints or hot dogs they pay for. Now imagine how many would watch Arsenal v Barcelona...

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:37 pm
You'll end up with the modern floater fans in the ground not the historical club supporters which suits the clubs revenue streams, as said above the loss of say 50M in supporters tickets sales will be swallowed up by the other huge financial gains. Never underestimate these twats when it comes to making money.
How many floater fans were there at Arsenal pre-CoVid? I guesstimate around 5-10% who got tickets on ticket exchange and travel packages. More so at Chelsea according to my son. And they all have bags full of merchandise. Why would the want the likes of me turning up 10 minutes before kick off and hastily leaving on the final whistle to get my beers at The White Swan? I have walked around the store pre-match on the odd occasion and it is packed with day trippers spending £100s on synthetic shirts.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SigvDl14t ... EYhUDK2U14

The Pandemic has proven that they can get big tv audiences without any fans in the ground . They are not in any way worried about a fans backlash as long as JP Morgan and the like put the money up.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

A report on Sky quoting a board member from one of the 6 clubs (unnamed for obvious reasons) said it all for me.

"The priority is to maximise revenue and profits. The good of the game is secondary."

So they're even prepared to kill the goose if it all goes sour after 5 or 10 years and the game as whole is ruined. As long as they make enough cash in that time to have made it worthwhile.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:14 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SigvDl14t ... EYhUDK2U14

The Pandemic has proven that they can get big tv audiences without any fans in the ground . They are not in any way worried about a fans backlash as long as JP Morgan and the like put the money up.
They have a captive audience at the moment because there's literally fuck all else to do so they would be foolish to bet the house on those viewing figures continuing in the post covid world.

Bennett

Post by Bennett »

At least it's made my mind up about renewing season tickets....not a fucking chance! Shameful Arsenal but not surprising sadly. My indifference grows stronger by the day

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bennett wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:46 pm
At least it's made my mind up about renewing season tickets....not a fucking chance! Shameful Arsenal but not surprising sadly. My indifference grows stronger by the day
The trouble is....and here is the real problem....that is exactly what they want you to do. The owners of these clubs have realised that having season ticket holders is not the best way to maximise income - they want the floating fan, that spend vast amounts of money in the club shop and on food & drinks. I imagine the 90 minutes will be split into 4 quarters so that people keep buying food.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

I believe this is the mega-owners grandstanding and threatening UEFA to scare them into making sure the changes to the Champions League, and in some ways the Europa, ensure the greedy bastards get a bigger share of the cash and that they get automatic qualification. Either way it stinks and football is taking another step towards disappearing up its own pox-ridden fat arse! The fact they think they can just shit on all the fans and chuck away centuries of tradition is the scary bit. Very interesting to see how it progresses. The Lawyers are rubbing their hands at the moment. Very sad but not surprising.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Where the fúck are the Black Scarf Movement? :barscarf:

Why do we get twats like AISA & AST claiming to speak for the fans? :cussing: Next up we'll have the Red Action wankers releasing a statement fully supporting the Wiggy bastard! :barscarf:

My money is on our fans apathy continuing, there won't be any serious protests nor boycotts by our supporters.

Many will have similar opinions on EUFA & FIFA as Herd does above, I would also add the Premier League, the Football Association & Sky TV to the greedy corrupt bastards list. They're only kicking up a fuss because their gravy train & bungs are under threat, no wonder Boris Kemal has weighed in! :box: :censored:

Getting rid of Wiggy is the main priority for me, I don't care what league we are in, we have to follow the others or be left behind that's the inevitability of change. :rubchin:

As for the Premier League kicking us all out LOL! That won't happen & if it did I reckon the Football League would have the English ESL breakaway clubs back as members anyway. :barscarf:
Last edited by Almunia is a clown on Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

as things stand the CL places next season will go to:

Leicester City
West Ham
Everton
Leeds United
:lol: :lol:

and in the Europa League will be:

Wolves
Crystal Palace
:lol: :lol:

good luck BT!

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

Football has just taken another carnivorous bite out if itself as it continues to self devour.

Anyone up for the birth of AFC Arsenal ?

Not the club I fell in love with . The day that something finally dies inside is fast approaching.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

The Super League is awful but the proposed new CL formate sounds almost as bad. A 36 team league (?!) with each team playing 10 games and those placed 9-24 playing 3 playoffs (?)

What a massive headache to whittle it down to 16 team knockouts - which is exactly what we get with the current format without all the sillybuggery.

If the big clubs are desperate for more “big games” why not just expand the CL into something like:
2 leagues of 16 clubs. Each club plays each other club just once (home or away decided by XYZ .
After fifteen games a piece, the top 4 from each league go straight through to a two leg QF (1st plays 4th, 2nd plays 3rd). Job done. A few more European games within an exciting league like format, no stupid playoffs, and then straight into QFs.

Bennett

Post by Bennett »

Couldn't agree more. Club I've supported all my life(,and my old man, kids, uncles, grandparents) not getting another penny from me even if decision reversed. I am truly embarrassed. I'll be spending money at Colchester United where my 14 year old daughter is in Academy....a local, community club, who need money and care about supporters, people and reality. Wiggy, you absolute, destructive, horrible,avarcious parasite c@@@