European Super League horseshit now a possibility?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: European Super League announced

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:46 pm
Wrighty now posting #kroenkeOut apparently....
He did that last night girlfriend 8)

Seriously though he's probably now fucked himself from all the work he used to get from the club on promotional activities, adidas stuff etc.

Fair fucks to him, redeemed himself for the bullshit stuff screaming on MOTD with jugs and Shearer taking the piss out of Laca.

To be fair he did contact Laca the following morning to apologise knowing he'd fucked up so kudos for that.

Wrighty LEGEND :barscarf:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Ernie71 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:28 pm
.Its time for all Arsenal fans to BOYCOTT all games until that change happens. If it doesnt then fuck Arsenal.Fans continuing to go to games are supporting Kroenke

https://www.football365.com/news/mediaw ... d-innocent
I am boycotting Arsenal, but mainly because my silver membership has been cancelled. That written, the last 13 months has made me think it isn’t worth going. The Premier League charging £15 for PPV, Arsenal charging me £59 for a silver membership with zero benefits and now this omnishambles. Also not sure I want to see Captain Black’s mismanagement in the flesh either. 8 home defeats. So far.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:50 pm
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if we all start with minus points next season.
Are we brining Wenger and Cech back?
:coffeespit:

Brilliant!

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:51 pm
Auba's put his big boy pants on, apologised (in a way) and is back on twitter.

Normally I would commend people who apologise, but for me auba and the clubs can shove their apologies where the sun dont shine - the way the fans have been treated this week is shameful, and instead of speaking out for the fans like a good captain should, he went off on some unfathomable diatribe before throwing his dummy out of the pram :roll:

F.uck off

augie

Post by augie »

safcftm wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:45 am
augie wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am
rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 am
This needs to be the beginning of something not the end. Club owners, TV companies, UEFA, FIFA the whole fucking kit and caboodle need to be the next focus.

I'm massively in favour of the 50.1% fan ownership model, problem is these clubs are now worth so much is that even possible even if legislation is brought in?

How can you force an owner to sell 51% of something that he bought legally ? That is what is cringy about all these soundbites coming from boris johnson about what he is gonna do to protect football fans and clubs - wtf can he do ??
The 51% doesn't mean you have to have fans owning 51% of the club. Companies have voting shares and non voting shares. Legislation could be brought in requiring clubs to have no more than 100 voting shares, with fans groups required to be allowed 51 of those 100 shares. The owner might own the other 49 voting shares. Crucially the value of the club is in the million or however many non voting shares. So the owner still owns the vast, vast majority of the club. If he sells, he still gets 99.999% of the money. But a condition of owning a club is that they can't have enough of the voting shares to enable them to pull a move like this. The owner can then fund the club and take the profit, but the fans can ensure its ran for the benefit of the supporters and prevents a profit against all else approach

Appreciate the education on that buddy cos it is far out of my level of knowledge or comprehension 8)

Can you clarify for me though, are you saying that a government can bring in that legislation and there is absolutely nothing the club owners can do ?? If that is the case then you would imagine/hope it might drive out existing sharks, and deter any future investment owners from coming in.
Re what you said about the owners can still take the profits, would the fans shareholders have any input or control over how the club is run ? Could the owners award themselves whatever amount they want in dividends etc ?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Not sure any of that is true tbh. Arsenal Football Club plc is a subsidiary of Arsenal Holdings plc. Both are Private Limited Companies.

A privately held company has more flexibility in how it operates because it answers to fewer masters than a public one.

I don't believe an existing owner (or shareholders) can be instructed by government. Laws/rules can be put in place for subsequent owners/shareholders though.

Spuds are completely different though as they are a Public company listed on the FTSE where the FCA has oversight on all company dealings.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Oh good! Is this turning into a finance thread now? Flash will be back. Old Flashy loved a good finance thread!

:barscarf: :lol:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm
Oh good! Is this turning into a finance thread now? Flash will be back. Old Flashy loved a good finance thread!

Nah, I'm just posting bollox cos I'm bored. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:17 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm

Nah, I'm just posting bollox cos I'm bored. :lol:
Jaysus. :shock:

DS will be back. :shock:

She loved a bit of bollocks! :lol: :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Arsenal CEO Vinai Venkatesham has been calling PL club execs among the 14 today to apologise for his club’s actions re European Super League, according to sources. Conversations described as rather awkward but sentiment behind it appreciated

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I’m hearing Augie for Prime Minister. :box:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:01 pm
safcftm wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:45 am
augie wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:55 am
rodders999 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 am
This needs to be the beginning of something not the end. Club owners, TV companies, UEFA, FIFA the whole fucking kit and caboodle need to be the next focus.

I'm massively in favour of the 50.1% fan ownership model, problem is these clubs are now worth so much is that even possible even if legislation is brought in?

How can you force an owner to sell 51% of something that he bought legally ? That is what is cringy about all these soundbites coming from boris johnson about what he is gonna do to protect football fans and clubs - wtf can he do ??
The 51% doesn't mean you have to have fans owning 51% of the club. Companies have voting shares and non voting shares. Legislation could be brought in requiring clubs to have no more than 100 voting shares, with fans groups required to be allowed 51 of those 100 shares. The owner might own the other 49 voting shares. Crucially the value of the club is in the million or however many non voting shares. So the owner still owns the vast, vast majority of the club. If he sells, he still gets 99.999% of the money. But a condition of owning a club is that they can't have enough of the voting shares to enable them to pull a move like this. The owner can then fund the club and take the profit, but the fans can ensure its ran for the benefit of the supporters and prevents a profit against all else approach

Appreciate the education on that buddy cos it is far out of my level of knowledge or comprehension 8)

Can you clarify for me though, are you saying that a government can bring in that legislation and there is absolutely nothing the club owners can do ?? If that is the case then you would imagine/hope it might drive out existing sharks, and deter any future investment owners from coming in.
Re what you said about the owners can still take the profits, would the fans shareholders have any input or control over how the club is run ? Could the owners award themselves whatever amount they want in dividends etc ?
some form of nationalization if they really wanted i guess. like all the communist/marxist countries did without compo or with if not marxist/communist.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

To be honest you could probably, with a bit of clever lawyering, put this in the category of cultural or sporting heritage or some such and introduce specific rules governing clubs and ownership giving special protected status, i'm fairly sure St Andrews Golf Club has some sort of protected status in terms of restricting development, ownership, finances etc....

Bear in mind legislation can be put before parliament and if voted on then there isn't that much people operating businesses can do if it passes other than appeal it, it might not be particularly popular but as the 'birth place of football' and with some of the oldest clubs in the world maybe it should be looked at, fuck i wish they'd done it earlier to protect Highbury and some of the other grand old stadiums :rubchin:

proudgunner

Post by proudgunner »

To extreme to work, the only way and the best way is to stop buying shirts etc stop going to home games, only away games make the club non profitable he will soon sell so as not to lose money on a club going down in value. COYG

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The only issue with boycotting is other than the look of it, a half empty ground, as opposed to a completely empty ground right now, will it really hurt him that much? Also bear in mind that even a half empty ground can be spun if they want it to, 'ticket sales are down due to people still being worried about covid blah blah blah'.....

People need to come to terms with the fact that local support is only a very very small part of the fanbase worldwide so having maybe 100,000 fans not buying stuff will not really hurt that much in terms of global merchandise sales, it will hurt but just not as much as people think.

For me, as with getting rid of Wenger, the thing that will really hurt is vocal and visual protests on a large scale, which again thanks to covid can't be done without running foul of the law.......

I swear Kroenke has the devil's own luck because i think in normal times pulling something like they just did would, for once, actually unite a lot of fans into serious protest outside and inside the ground :banghead: