Potential Takeover

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
BobbyPires7

Re: Potential Takeover

Post by BobbyPires7 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:33 pm
Sorry just presumed we all knew Dutch :lol:
“Shmoke and a pancake?”

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Note to self, when hiring a prostitute whilst on holiday in Amsterdam, never again ask her to "sit on my face" in a 'shilly dutch akshent'

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

For all the non-Dutch speakers. :lol:

Arsenal's season ends again on a bad note this week. With a final ranking in the middle bracket of the Premier League, well below the London club. And so something has to be done. Although his first offer was recently declined, Spotify owner Daniel Ek wants to continue with his acquisition plans. The Swedish multi-billionaire has played an important role for club legends Dennis Bergkamp, ​​Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira. For the first time, Bergkamp provides text and explanation.

When did you decide to intervene at Arsenal?
'After I left the club I always kept in touch with Thierry and Patrick. And of course I continued to follow the games of Arsenal. I have played an important part of my career there, I have had a testimonial there. The club is in my heart, I have become a fan of players. Just like Patrick and Thierry, I recognize the Arsenal from our own time less and less. The ambition to win top prizes is in Arsenal's DNA. Never accepting loss. That mentality has slowly disappeared. I sense resignation about the current situation. That is serious. As if, given the financial situation, it is normal for Arsenal to end in the middle bracket. That does not belong to this club. Arsenal's DNA must be restored. '

How and when did contact with Daniel Ek come about?
Daniel has been an Arsenal fan all his life. A real fan. He also appeared to be worried about the downturn at the club for some time. When the Super League dominated the news for days, Daniel just about exploded. That was when he wanted to continue and contact us. During a Zoom meeting with Thierry, Patrick and I, he shared his concerns and plans with us. That made an impression from the first moment. It immediately became clear to me how deep the supportership is with Daniel. I think that's important: Daniel doesn't see a takeover as buying a nice toy. On the contrary.'

'He understands the passion of a football fan. Because he is one himself. He also wants to significantly increase the influence of the fans. Among other things by giving them a place in the club management. We think that is very important. We want to get close to the supporters. Daniel likes transparency anyway. Just look at how he communicates about this, via Twitter, clear to everyone. Another important point is that Daniel understands that Arsenal's problems cannot be solved just like that. Pumping in some extra money and firing the trainer, for example, will not get you there. If Arsenal wants to be at the top next season, they will have to reach a world top in every line. While the club has long lacked the appeal for this category of players. Hence, structural changes must take place. This is the backbone of Arsenal. This is a far-reaching, long-term project. '

Where do you start if the club's working methods have to be changed deep down in the DNA?
'You have to start at the top. Hence, an acquisition is crucial. So that Arsenal can continue with an owner who understands that a football club should not be run like a company. No matter how much money is involved in English football, Arsenal is and will remain a football club. Which must also be managed as such, in all layers of the club.

Are there any similarities with the Cruijff revolution ten years ago at Ajax, in which you played a pioneering role?
'The need for changes, the leading role of football, the great ambitions that we want to bring back: these are indeed parallels. But at Arsenal I am not looking for a revolution. We really hope that we can talk to the current owners in a good way. We don't want to harm anyone, it's not about us personally. This revolves around our views on an improved Arsenal. As players, we contributed to the transition from Boring Arsenal to a squad called The Invincibles was named. Thanks to that period, I have now been inducted into the Premier League Hall of Fame, which I am extremely proud of. The quality, mindset and passion of that time must once again become the norm. Thierry, Patrick and I have ideas about that. Which fit perfectly with Daniel's plans. '

Ek's first offer of nearly two billion euros has been rejected by the current owners, the Kroenke family. What now?
'We can't force anyone to sell. I understand that, in addition to that offer, Daniel has now reached out twice to Josh Kroenke and his bankers. Whatever Kroenke's intentions are, it would be good if we at least have a conversation with each other. In the interest of the club. Regardless, Daniel is not a quitter and neither are we football boys. We are here to stay. The crazy thing is that we cannot imagine how the current players feel. Because we have always played for the championship ourselves. We do know how the fans feel. We have already had a meeting with a supporter delegation. We also sense more and more enthusiasm on their side. That is very stimulating. '

If the takeover succeeds, what exactly should your role and that of Henry and Vieira be?
'Football, passion and ambition must again be central. We have plenty of ideas about the technical details, but it makes little sense to anticipate them now. First, Daniel has to come to a takeover. After that, it would make sense to use the knowledge we have gained during and after our careers. We are ready and so is Daniel. Fans are thrilled. '

That's the most candid interview I've read to date on the proposed takeover. Very encouraging. :D

augie

Post by augie »

Excellent, excellent interview 8) as usual Dennis doesnt just say words for the sake of it - his words are thoughtfully put together and reasoned, and he indicates that they want a peaceful takeover, but a takeover all the same 8)

I havent been on as much lately or havent been as tuned in lately, but I am praying to God there is a big, big protest planned for Sunday with it being the last game of the season AND with fans attending the match (no need for anyone to confirm or deny that btw).

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

The great Dennis Bergkamp also said as below...of which i 100% agree....fuck settling for mediocrity that some Posters/fans accept

Bergkamp said: “I recognise the Arsenal from our own time less and less.

“The ambition to win top prizes is in Arsenal's DNA. Never accepting defeat.

“That mentality has slowly disappeared. I sense resignation about the current situation. That is serious. As if, given the financial situation, it is normal for Arsenal to end in the middle bracket.

“That [attitude] does not belong at this club. Arsenal's DNA must be restored.”

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

A good interview and some telling comments but I wonder if they really realise how far we have fallen, I hope so.

The problem is for them even if they manage to pull off the takeover whether certain areas of the supporters will give them the time it will require to get our DNA back. It has been in reality 15 years of decline to where we are now and not only that but footballers and football has changed so much.

To get back to the top will require a lot of hard work and money, it would be interesting to see what their plans are but I can understand why they are reluctant to show their hand :rubchin:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 8:45 pm
Note to self, when hiring a prostitute whilst on holiday in Amsterdam, never again ask her to "sit on my face" in a 'shilly dutch akshent'
:coffeespit: :lol: :lol:
Quality. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just read this bit again from The Dennis:

"I recognize the Arsenal from our own time less and less. The ambition to win top prizes is in Arsenal's DNA. Never accepting loss. That mentality has slowly disappeared. I sense resignation about the current situation. That is serious. As if, given the financial situation, it is normal for Arsenal to end in the middle bracket. That does not belong to this club. Arsenal's DNA must be restored."

We are not a mid table club. We are a massive club currently sitting in mid table because we are owned by cùnts and managed by a novice with an ego bigger than his current experience level and ability.

I said it at the time when people were campaigning to get Wenger out. Wenger was not the biggest problem. The fucking owners were and are. Here we are 3 years after Wenger went and we are worse off.

Getting rid of Wenger was like cleaning the surface of a wound but ignoring the infection under the skin.

I hope they see now what the "bigger picture" means. :roll:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

If this takeover one day happens then patience is an absolute must.

Most of us agree that the club is rotten to the core and huge changes are required at all levels. I would imagine Ek, DB, TH and PV know little about football club administration so some of their ideas may prove unrealistic and untenable. Some may need tweaking and adapting. Some will work straight off the bat. The main thing is that they are given time. 15 years of steady decline both on the field and off it aren't going to be fixed overnight. No complaining and demanding more changes if we were to be sitting in mid-table after 6 months. No calling this one one a cûnt and that one clueless. It needs to be viewed as a "ground zero", a blank canvas from which to build ourselves back to where we should be for a club of our size and tradition.

I've read that interview with Dennis several times and it encourages me and excites me so much. I really want this thing to happen. We really need this thing to happen.

It may ultimately all go tits up but can it honestly be any worse than where we are now and where we appear to be heading under the current regime?

Arguably the three finest players to ever wear the red and white are involved. We love all three of them for what they gave us during their time at The Arsenal. Ek himself is saying the right things and one can only hope they are not just words and that the intentions are genuine.

It wouldn't all be plain sailing. There would be dips and depressions. Frustrations and heartaches. Highs and lows. That's football anyway.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I had a dream that KSE wanted £6billion for the club and that EK paid it. :shock:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:15 am

Most of us agree that the club is rotten to the core and huge changes are required at all levels. I would imagine Ek, DB, TH and PV know little about football club administration so some of their ideas may prove unrealistic and untenable. Some may need tweaking and adapting. Some will work straight off the bat. The main thing is that they are given time. 15 years of steady decline both on the field and off it aren't going to be fixed overnight. No complaining and demanding more changes if we were to be sitting in mid-table after 6 months. No calling this one one a cûnt and that one clueless. It needs to be viewed as a "ground zero", a blank canvas from which to build ourselves back to where we should be for a club of our size and tradition.

I've read that interview with Dennis several times and it encourages me and excites me so much. I really want this thing to happen. We really need this thing to happen.

It may ultimately all go tits up but can it honestly be any worse than where we are now and where we appear to be heading under the current regime?

Arguably the three finest players to ever wear the red and white are involved. We love all three of them for what they gave us during their time at The Arsenal. Ek himself is saying the right things and one can only hope they are not just words and that the intentions are genuine.

It wouldn't all be plain sailing. There would be dips and depressions. Frustrations and heartaches. Highs and lows. That's football anyway.
what if they kept arteta as manager?!

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

the playing mantis wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 11:31 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:15 am

what if they kept arteta as manager?!
Should that happen then it wouldn't change my stance. Others would disagree no doubt but it's all about the bigger picture. Things are only likely to be put right given time.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Wiggy & Son Will eventually sell, when it suits them.

The reason they are sticking with Arteta is all about the Money. Compared to some clubs ditching their managers the cost to sack Arteta would be relatively cheap. They are waiting to see how the up and coming season goes both in terms of football success, they count the profits not the points, also to see how the land lies Business wise a year from now.

It may take 3 -4 seasons which I know for me will seem like an eternity but eventually they will sell, Hopefully to someone like Eck who has better understanding of what we the fans want and can combine their love of the club with business acumen. :?

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Glad Ek is around to keep the heat on KSE, can you imagine if no one was interested and KSE didn't even have to think about anything?.

What happened to Dangote? - another Nigerian scammer it seems!. :roll: :blah:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:58 pm
Glad Ek is around to keep the heat on KSE, can you imagine if no one was interested and KSE didn't even have to think about anything?.

What happened to Dangote? - another Nigerian scammer it seems!. :roll: :blah:

Funny you should mention him he sent my mate am e-mail saying if my mate gave him his bank details, he'd pay #10k into his bank account.

Don't know if he's received the money yet!? :lol: