Brighton Bawbags H / 25 years in Europe - Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Brighton Bawbags H Sun 23rd May KO 4PM

Post by SteveO 35 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:14 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:07 pm
Honestly don't know how I'm going to get through next season without any European football.

When we're out of the league by October, it has been just about the only thing that keeps me interested. Now what? A league cup that he'll throw away again no doubt, and then just the FA Cup to look forward to in January.

Absolutely depressing as fuck.

Hope the super coach still thinks playing that shit team at Southampton in the FA Cup in the name of finishing 8th was all worth it

Hate the owner, hate the manager, hate at least half the players
I understand that, mate; however, I'm relieved that we're not going to go through another shite group stage with teams I've never heard of, just to struggle over two legs for a few rounds against teams we should beat before losing to the one team on our level or just under.

We should have won the Europa by now but we haven't, we wouldn't have won this.

Ideally, we use this season as a rebuild and hopefully get top 4 next season (we won't but I'm hopeful).
And that sentence there is the problem isn't it?

People say that the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have all had years out of Europe and used it to rebuild - the Chavs being the most famous case of finishing mid table before Conte came in and won the league.

But we all know we won't rebuild. We've had this owner for a decade and he inherited a CL club and has turned it into another of his mediocre franchises without a penny of investment. Chelsea responded by bringing in a new manager and giving him millions to spend. Liverpool dumped Hodgson, and Rogers and went out and got a top manager and backed him with funds. Under our model there's no good to come from this. All that no European football now means is that Saliba, Balogun, Martinelli and just about every other talented kid might as well leave now, because this fucking prick won't be playing them apart from in the Carabao Cup.

Think today carries far more significance than people realise. Don't think we'll ever be back in Europe again under this owner, and most certainly not under this manager. The beginning of the end

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:26 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:07 pm
Honestly don't know how I'm going to get through next season without any European football.

When we're out of the league by October, it has been just about the only thing that keeps me interested
. Now what? A league cup that he'll throw away again no doubt, and then just the FA Cup to look forward to in January.

Absolutely depressing as fuck.

Hope the super coach still thinks playing that shit team at Southampton in the FA Cup in the name of finishing 8th was all worth it

Hate the owner, hate the manager, hate at least half the players

The flip side of that Steve, is that pep's cone boy wont have a run of victories (in a piss poor competition) to fall back on when the pressure of another shite league campaign comes on - if we were "enjoying" positive results in that shite competition, they would be used as a defence of him and a reason not to make a change
Not true though is it - in his first season in it he got knocked out in the round of 32 by Olympiacos and this year he didn't even make the final despite the easiest run known to man. It hasn't made any difference to the board

Nothing to look forward to as a fan. If anyone wants to use my 'silvers' next season feel free. Watching the most boring football in 25 years in a single competition that we have no chance of winning or even finishing in the top 4...........

Wake me up for the League Cup 3rd round. Zero interest in anything that happens before then

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

It is naive to say the least that having European football next season would mean Arteta has games to hide behind, not having it makes the whole season easier for him ffs, he can dump the Carabao as early as possible as per usual with our managers and has considerably less games to play meaning there is less likelihood of injuries or tiredness effecting the squad.

FFS all he has to do now is get the players up for 1 game a week for most of the season which funnily enough he has managed to do for the end of this season, if you think only having the PL to worry about puts extra pressure on him you are sticking your heads in the sand, this situation is exactly what he needs, look at the way all the other teams have imploded at the end of this season and tell me that a couple of extra results going our way this season and we wouldn't have been challenging for ECL this season, the same teams will implode next season as they always do and Captain Black will benefit even more, no European football is exactly what Arteta needs to consolidate at the club :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:35 pm
It is naive to say the least that having European football next season would mean Arteta has games to hide behind, not having it makes the whole season easier for him ffs, he can dump the Carabao as early as possible as per usual with our managers and has considerably less games to play meaning there is less likelihood of injuries or tiredness effecting the squad.

FFS all he has to do now is get the players up for 1 game a week for most of the season which funnily enough he has managed to do for the end of this season, if you think only having the PL to worry about puts extra pressure on him you are sticking your heads in the sand, this situation is exactly what he needs, look at the way all the other teams have imploded at the end of this season and tell me that a couple of extra results going our way this season and we wouldn't have been challenging for ECL this season, the same teams will implode next season as they always do and Captain Black will benefit even more, no European football is exactly what Arteta needs to consolidate at the club :roll:
Exactly right, and if it provokes some sort of minor improvement like 6th or 7th instead of 8th, then he'll be able to talk about what great progress has been made, just like his bollocks about more points that last season

Its an absolute disaster for our younger players. That's absolutely the end for the most talented kids apart from Saka and Smith Rowe.......and were it not for injuries forcing his hand with the latter he'd be gone too.

I'll be interested to see how many people think no European football is a good idea when we come back on this forum around November time, already miles off the pace of the top four with Kolasinac in the squad, playing sterile shitey slow football without any cup distractions

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Apparently Gabriel lost his tooth in the post match “celebrations” and the staff are helping him find it :shock:

What was he celebrating? :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Thought Pepe was MOTM. (ESR Close second) :barscarf: :barscarf:

Clubfoot still an embarrassment and MUST FuckOFF, along with Ceballos, Leno, Bellerin, Kolasinac and Arteta. "Please"

Worried if Martinelli will still be here next season what with Capt Black totally dismissing the player and talent he is.

Glad John (FATCUNT) Moss is retiring - Utter Shyte.

#KroenkeOut

ps: I'm pissedOff we finished below the scum (again), but relieved angled we aren't in the EuroLidlReject Cup :|

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:41 pm

Its an absolute disaster for our younger players. That's absolutely the end for the most talented kids apart from Saka and Smith Rowe.......and were it not for injuries forcing his hand with the latter he'd be gone too.
I can see some positives from not being in the conference league, but I agree it’s bad news for the youngsters.

Might as well loan Balagun out now as he’ll get no game time whatsoever. Him and Azeez might get a carling cup outing at best but even that isn’t guaranteed.

It’ll once again restrict Martinelli’s game time. He needs a run of starting games and Europe was his best chance.

Europe would have really helped Saliba too but I still think he might get chances in the league if he’s only competing with Holding.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Isn't there a team with just Goats in it.
You’re kidding? 8)

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

The slow death of Arsenal continues with us out of Europe. People think it must be a good thing as we “must react” and come back stronger. Wrong. We will decline further from here.

Watch the squad get cut back to the bone. Youth prospects will go out on loan. No one will come. This is bad news.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

g88ner wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:02 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:41 pm

I can see some positives from not being in the conference league, but I agree it’s bad news for the youngsters.

Might as well loan Balagun out now as he’ll get no game time whatsoever. Him and Azeez might get a carling cup outing at best but even that isn’t guaranteed.

It’ll once again restrict Martinelli’s game time. He needs a run of starting games and Europe was his best chance.

Europe would have really helped Saliba too but I still think he might get chances in the league if he’s only competing with Holding.
Hes slowly killing Martinellis spirit...doing a real job on him

Midz

Post by Midz »

The £72m waste of space finally comes good in the last 2 games.

The summer transfer window will be more interesting to watch than next season. Who we get rid of and the hope to get rid of and who stays will drag on until at least end of August.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:04 pm
Isn't there a team with just Goats in it.
You’re kidding? 8)

No, there is such a team apparently they just HOOF it up the pitch all the time. :D

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

:barscarf: :barscarf:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Went to the game yesterday. Normally sit lower tier but got upper tier tickets on the ballot.

You can see who the better players are from up above. Gives you perspective over the whole pitch. Partey has flashes of being decent but constantly takes suicidal risks on his own D. Unforgivable. Xhaka similar. Constant sideways passing. The one player who stuck out as poor, both in defending and distribution is Gabriel. Really really poor. His passing is woeful.

What struck me the most is how when we try to play through teams quickly it normally works. We lack quality finishing though which is a worry considering PEA is on the money he is on. So we create a load of chances which we don’t take and that then spreads panic through the side. We revert to sideways passing and then end up caught in a high press and invariably concede against the better teams.

My takeaway from the game is that we need a new out and out striker. A real poacher. The fabled “fox in the box”. The other is that Partey either cuts out the crap or we move him on. And Gabriel is not ready. He spreads panic through the side. Can’t be having that.

I won’t hold my breath for any changes as I suspect we will be working with the squad we have.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

All Good News Then! :|

I am beginning to wonder if it is all 'broken'; football, the club, the team, the whole damn set-up.

The way the club evolved under Wenger and the board of then into what became an autocratic establishment that no one could change not even those within it any more, has become further entrenched and immobile under Wiggy & Son, because they won't want it to change; at least not in any real sense of the word, not as long as they can use Arsenal FC as a mean by which they get an annual profit and to use Arsenal FC existence as a 'Successful Business' by which to leverage against other business adventures they have in mind.

As we all know Wiggy & Son are not Football Fans, they use sports franchises as exactly that, in the same way McDonalds use chips & burgers to make a profit, they also know that we (Fans) don't just like the product they own and sell, but that Arsenal FC as an entity has been a part of our lives since we were all young and that we 'Love' Arsenal FC and find it hard to not be involved with it in our everyday lives because it is entwined in our lives, in our everyday in some way.

I think the Up and Coming season is Monumentally Important for us fans, the club and for them. If they don't invest Serious (SERIOUS) Money and advocate Major (MAJOR) Changes at all levels to show they can run it as a business that also meets the fans approval (which I don't think for a moment they will), then there will be a gradual but increasing downward spiral of the club as more and more established (older) fans walk away and take their kids, ie: the next generation of Gooners with them.

They have one more season (maybe) to save Arsenal FC, if not I can only see many (more) walking away; sad, angry and broken hearted but ultimately powerless to do anything but stop going to games, stop buying the merchandise and protest or not (the latter most likely) as there malaise that was all too evident when the Wenger Out arguments / protests were going on, spreads like a plague, till the only active/attending/buying Arsenal Supporters are the new growing generation of plastic tourists content with mediocrity and all the bullshit the club feed them.

And that makes me so incredibly angry and sad it's like the loss of my best friend.