Brighton Bawbags H / 25 years in Europe - Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

25 years of European football

Post by Nos89 »

Much has been made of the fact that next season we won't be participating in any European competition for the first time in 25 seasons.
Whilst that is an impressive record that will be difficult for any team to match, it was 25years of utter failure and underachievement. 3 European finals and 3 semi final losses is a terrible return.
I'm not going to miss European football at all next season.

Perryashburtongroves

Re: 25 years of European football

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 am
Much has been made of the fact that next season we won't be participating in any European competition for the first time in 25 seasons.
Whilst that is an impressive record that will be difficult for any team to match, it was 25years of utter failure and underachievement. 3 European finals and 3 semi final losses is a terrible return.
I'm not going to miss European football at all next season.
I agree with you. A quarter of a century and one Champions League final, one semi final fiasco and fuck all else really. Two UEFA Cup finals in which we might as well have stayed at home. No ambition to do anything other than just turn up, no drive for success or getting better, no push to get to that fabled next level. 25 years of complacency and some absolutely fucking horrific performances.
Last edited by Perryashburtongroves on Mon May 24, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

exactly - our last SUCCESS came 27 years ago!

i do think in the long run it might be better being out of Europe next season though.
the Conference league is not like missing out on the Europa - it is a complete and utter waste of time, and it should just be for the smaller countries who have been invited into it.
maybe we might take the league cup seriously for once - 28 years since we last won that!

it will make the season more boring with far less matches, but if that gets rid of the plastic fans who like going to FC Shithole matches and purchasing half and half scarves then good. All that complacency before a big league match just because we were able to beat FC Nowhere Town 6-0 a few days earlier won't be there now. Maybe the players might actually start league matches with more urgency? Will be interesting to see.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

off the top of my head my memories of 25 years in Europe are ....the 2006 run and the CL near miss
2004 - the year we should have won, but were beaten by Chelsea. My hated of Chelsea stems from that fateful night at Highbury
Arshavin scoring against Barcelona
Bendtner missing an open goal somewhere
Beating Porto 5-0
Europa League semi final nights

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Some great trips abroad.....standout being beating Inter 5-1....what a team we had.....Henry was unplayable that night

SE12red

Re: Brighton Bawbags H Sun 23rd May KO 4PM

Post by SE12red »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 4:47 am
Went to the game yesterday. Normally sit lower tier but got upper tier tickets on the ballot.

You can see who the better players are from up above. Gives you perspective over the whole pitch. Partey has flashes of being decent but constantly takes suicidal risks on his own D. Unforgivable. Xhaka similar. Constant sideways passing. The one player who stuck out as poor, both in defending and distribution is Gabriel. Really really poor. His passing is woeful.

What struck me the most is how when we try to play through teams quickly it normally works. We lack quality finishing though which is a worry considering PEA is on the money he is on. So we create a load of chances which we don’t take and that then spreads panic through the side. We revert to sideways passing and then end up caught in a high press and invariably concede against the better teams.

My takeaway from the game is that we need a new out and out striker. A real poacher. The fabled “fox in the box”. The other is that Partey either cuts out the crap or we move him on. And Gabriel is not ready. He spreads panic through the side. Can’t be having that.

I won’t hold my breath for any changes as I suspect we will be working with the squad we have.
Similar views on Gabriel. First touch is poor which immediately puts him under pressure.
Other thoughts from yesterday: Odegaard is brilliant at finding space between the lines. Takes up some really good positions but we mostly ignore him and go out wide.
Auba never got involved and hardly ever was on the last man looking to run in behind.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

SE12red wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Went to the game yesterday. Normally sit lower tier but got upper tier tickets on the ballot.

You can see who the better players are from up above. Gives you perspective over the whole pitch. Partey has flashes of being decent but constantly takes suicidal risks on his own D. Unforgivable. Xhaka similar. Constant sideways passing. The one player who stuck out as poor, both in defending and distribution is Gabriel. Really really poor. His passing is woeful.

What struck me the most is how when we try to play through teams quickly it normally works. We lack quality finishing though which is a worry considering PEA is on the money he is on. So we create a load of chances which we don’t take and that then spreads panic through the side. We revert to sideways passing and then end up caught in a high press and invariably concede against the better teams.

My takeaway from the game is that we need a new out and out striker. A real poacher. The fabled “fox in the box”. The other is that Partey either cuts out the crap or we move him on. And Gabriel is not ready. He spreads panic through the side. Can’t be having that.

I won’t hold my breath for any changes as I suspect we will be working with the squad we have.
Similar views on Gabriel. First touch is poor which immediately puts him under pressure.
Other thoughts from yesterday: Odegaard is brilliant at finding space between the lines. Takes up some really good positions but we mostly ignore him and go out wide.
Auba never got involved and hardly ever was on the last man looking to run in behind.
Agreed. Odegaard really is a very good player. Constantly looks to make a defence splitting pass and no one is there. Auba has dropped like a stone. He is a shadow of the player he was last season. Let’s hope it is malaria and nothing long term.

augie

Post by augie »

SE12red wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:

I'm honestly not trying to defend auba (who has been terrible) when I say this, but we rarely play balls in behind for him - our game now centres around slow short passing through the lines bul.lshit which doesnt suit a guy like auba who wants the ball early and in behind for him to run onto. When he gets the ball in early he is almost unstoppable, but slow football gives the opposition defences time to get positioned and forces him to come short to get touches, and technically he isnt really suited to that game

augie

Post by augie »

Being in the europa league is better than not being in europe at all, but I'm not sure we can say the same about this european conference shite - no interest in being in that at all.
The one thing where the more I think about it the more I agree with Steve O, is that our young upcoming players will have almost zero chance of game time now that we are out of europe - I think that under a different manager that wouldnt necessarily be the case, but this gobshite has shown an unwillingness to blood youngsters to date, and less games with him in charge will seal their fate methinks :cry:

In any other club the owners would be looking at the stat saying that it is the first time in 25 years that we are out of europe and would make a change because of it - the failure to qualify is of course a standout of how far we have fallen, but for me the acceptance of that failure, and refusal to hold people accountable for the failure, shines a much, much brighter light on how far we have fallen. Arteta's position and support from the owners will surely meet a crossroads very soon - of course he is a cheap yes man and that is appealing to the kroenke's, but a bargain is only a bargain if you get some use/return out of it, and losing the european money will soon make pep's cone boy look to be an expensive appointment rather than a cheap one

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

This idea of being out Europe making things more difficult and likely decisive on Arteta's continued employment is a bit strawman. We barely missed out on Europe this season, 1 point off Conference, 4 points of Europa and a mere 6 off ECL.

This with still reaching the semi of the Europa, immaterial of how shit it is it is still an extra 12 games with the incumbent tiredness and chances of injury. Arteta is crap but even he couldn't screw up picking up the extra points next season with far less games to play and it wouldn't surprise me if we got ECL next season.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

The Brighton manager reminds me a lot like Tony Adams

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:30 am

... there will be a gradual but increasing downward spiral of the club as more and more established (older) fans walk away and take their kids, ie: the next generation of Gooners with them.

They have one more season (maybe) to save Arsenal FC, if not I can only see many (more) walking away; sad, angry and broken hearted but ultimately powerless to do anything but stop going to games, stop buying the merchandise and protest or not (the latter most likely) as there malaise that was all too evident when the Wenger Out arguments / protests were going on, spreads like a plague, till the only active/attending/buying Arsenal Supporters are the new growing generation of plastic tourists content with mediocrity and all the bullshit the club feed them.

And that makes me so incredibly angry and sad it's like the loss of my best friend.
Most of my friends have stopped going in recent years, giving up silver memberships. There are two or three STHs who will go no matter what. At a bit of a crossroads myself after the shambles of paying for a silver membership with zero benefits and finding that I haven’t really missed it that much (last game was March 2020 - West Ham like many). I will get a silver membership this season mainly to keep it, but once the unaffordable Cat A games are excluded, I only have 14 games that I am likely to attend. Hoping most are Saturday 3pm now Thursday/Sunday has disappeared. Also depends if fans can return to stadiums in August.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Putting Tin Hat on he says:

I think the likes of Gabriel, Partey and Odegaard are decent players who given the proper coaching and guidance could be very good players. Odegaard has the ability to play the killer pass, just needs someone like God (Aka Bergkamp to coach him) If we had someone like PV4 and Keown to teach the other two about Defending and how & when to go forward they too could be excellent.

It has been rumoured that the improvements seen in sterling the wife beater at $hitty were down to pep-lite? Well he certainly has brought the best out of the 3 mentioned, if anything they seem to have become worse from before they joined us.

I was watching the post match interview with Arteta yesterday and found myself wanting him to shut-the-fuck-up, the same kind of feeling I used to get towards the end of Wenger's tenure...simply because I know before hand what he is going to say and then most of it sound-bite-bollox.

It would have been Brilliant had he been the manager we needed to become THE Arsenal again, but he didn't, he hasn't and he won't - so fuckk him and the wigwearingcunt and hissmarmy slimeball son.

I want us to be GREAT Again! Is that too much to ask, expect and get???

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

robbo10 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:26 am
The Brighton manager reminds me a lot like Tony Adams

Que???? :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It could work in our favour - Maybe?

Kroenke's don't get the money from the euro games - lessens their profits = another reason to sell

Our players don't get over-played and can concentrate on the Prem and home cups.

Down-size - Our youngsters don't get the experience of European games.