Brighton Bawbags H / 25 years in Europe - Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: 25 years of European football

Post by DB10GOONER »

Really? This needed it's own thread to repeat the same stuff on about three other threads?

Nos89 mate I'm glad you have time to keep starting new threads every time you have a thought, :wink: but I'm too busy to read through the same comments over and over on multiple threads. Can you please check if your post might fit into an existing thread rather than just start a new thread? Thanks.

Merged. 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 am
Much has been made of the fact that next season we won't be participating in any European competition for the first time in 25 seasons.
Whilst that is an impressive record that will be difficult for any team to match, it was 25years of utter failure and underachievement. 3 European finals and 3 semi final losses is a terrible return.
I'm not going to miss European football at all next season.
I just don't understand this at all. If the only way to enjoy a competition is by winning it then why bother entering anything other than the FA Cup. We last won the league 17 years ago, the League Cup 28 years ago, and any European competition 27 years ago......so whats the difference?

I hated the final years of the Champions league as were a pointless entrant and it served to deepen Kroenke's pockets whilst handing us an annual humiliation at the hands of Bayern or Barca

However, we found our level in the Europa and apart from El Beige somehow managing to balls it up against Europe's worst travellers in last season's round of 32, we avoided thrashings (Chavski 4-1 apart) and reached semi finals and the final. In those recent league seasons we were out of it (6th, 5th, 8th, 8th) so quite what you'll be looking forward to without European football is beyond me. For me it complete interrupts the tedium of 38 matches scrabbling around with West Ham, Everton and Leeds - our new normal

If you're one of those who thinks we are better off without European then there is absolutely no basis for that argument. People thought a year out of the CL would also have a similar impact and look where we are now - as far from it as we've ever been

We will be living our lives like Everton of the past two decades - probably too good to go down, but could be perilous if 3 or 4 more teams get ambitious owners, but nowhere near the top end.......a lifetime of finishing between 8th and 15th most likely.

Be careful what you wish for because I can't see European football any time soon so hope you enjoyed some of that last 25 years of failure !

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Brighton Bawbags H Sun 23rd May KO 4PM

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:30 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 11:26 am
The Brighton manager reminds me a lot like Tony Adams

Que???? :?
He’s apparantly shagging Caprice, while playing the piano

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

Saw his interview after the game,way he spoke and his mannerisms were very Adams like

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

robbo10 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:15 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

Saw his interview after the game,way he spoke and his mannerisms were very Adams like
Yeah I noticed that too.

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 5:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 am
Much has been made of the fact that next season we won't be participating in any European competition for the first time in 25 seasons.
Whilst that is an impressive record that will be difficult for any team to match, it was 25years of utter failure and underachievement. 3 European finals and 3 semi final losses is a terrible return.
I'm not going to miss European football at all next season.
I just don't understand this at all. If the only way to enjoy a competition is by winning it then why bother entering anything other than the FA Cup. We last won the league 17 years ago, the League Cup 28 years ago, and any European competition 27 years ago......so whats the difference?

I hated the final years of the Champions league as were a pointless entrant and it served to deepen Kroenke's pockets whilst handing us an annual humiliation at the hands of Bayern or Barca

However, we found our level in the Europa and apart from El Beige somehow managing to balls it up against Europe's worst travellers in last season's round of 32, we avoided thrashings (Chavski 4-1 apart) and reached semi finals and the final. In those recent league seasons we were out of it (6th, 5th, 8th, 8th) so quite what you'll be looking forward to without European football is beyond me. For me it complete interrupts the tedium of 38 matches scrabbling around with West Ham, Everton and Leeds - our new normal

If you're one of those who thinks we are better off without European then there is absolutely no basis for that argument. People thought a year out of the CL would also have a similar impact and look where we are now - as far from it as we've ever been

We will be living our lives like Everton of the past two decades - probably too good to go down, but could be perilous if 3 or 4 more teams get ambitious owners, but nowhere near the top end.......a lifetime of finishing between 8th and 15th most likely.

Be careful what you wish for because I can't see European football any time soon so hope you enjoyed some of that last 25 years of failure !

I think that anyone who believes that being out of europe will benefit our league aspirations is either naive or plain stupid :oops:

Our ambitions are always gonna get fcuked up when you have an incompetent manager and sub-standard players (in that order), so the number of competitions we are in wont change that.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 10:14 am
This idea of being out Europe making things more difficult and likely decisive on Arteta's continued employment is a bit strawman. We barely missed out on Europe this season, 1 point off Conference, 4 points of Europa and a mere 6 off ECL.

This with still reaching the semi of the Europa, immaterial of how shit it is it is still an extra 12 games with the incumbent tiredness and chances of injury. Arteta is crap but even he couldn't screw up picking up the extra points next season with far less games to play and it wouldn't surprise me if we got ECL next season.
I think this season out of europe will be a good thing for the club. Those players who believe they deserve european football will go elsewhere, those who want to pay and achieve something at the club will stay.
It seems to have been lost on this forum that we won the last five games of the season once we did not have European competition. It gave the manager time to work with the players, the young players to recover sufficiently and gain some positive momentum going into the next season. I'm more confident that we will finish in the top 4 next season than I have been over the last 5 seasons. If we changed the manager, I'd be even more confident.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:14 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
This idea of being out Europe making things more difficult and likely decisive on Arteta's continued employment is a bit strawman. We barely missed out on Europe this season, 1 point off Conference, 4 points of Europa and a mere 6 off ECL.

This with still reaching the semi of the Europa, immaterial of how shit it is it is still an extra 12 games with the incumbent tiredness and chances of injury. Arteta is crap but even he couldn't screw up picking up the extra points next season with far less games to play and it wouldn't surprise me if we got ECL next season.
I think this season out of europe will be a good thing for the club. Those players who believe they deserve european football will go elsewhere, those who want to pay and achieve something at the club will stay.
It seems to have been lost on this forum that we won the last five games of the season once we did not have European competition. It gave the manager time to work with the players, the young players to recover sufficiently and gain some positive momentum going into the next season. I'm more confident that we will finish in the top 4 next season than I have been over the last 5 seasons. If we changed the manager, I'd be even more confident.
I kind of agree. With the correct signings we can certainly push on next season and a higher position is achievable. A season void of European distraction could prove to be a blessing.

rodders999

Re: Brighton Bawbags H / 25 years in Europe - Merged thread

Post by rodders999 »

Absolute fucking scenes on here next season when after a full 7 days rest between games we're still producing the same dull, lifeless, zero energy, insipid football.

Can't wait :barscarf:

:wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

You see Rodder's I'm not so sure, it's highly likely we'll still play crap but something tells me he'll be luckier with results. I think the jammy *word censored* will benefit from a lack of European football and let's be brutally honest it doesn't matter a fuck what is said on here :rubchin:

As an aside why does c u n t get censored but fuck doesnt :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:51 pm
You see Rodder's I'm not so sure, it's highly likely we'll still play crap but something tells me he'll be luckier with results. I think the jammy *word censored* will benefit from a lack of European football and let's be brutally honest it doesn't matter a fuck what is said on here :rubchin:

Personal choice of the owner. He finds that word particularly offensive. Its my favourite word in the English language and I fought long and hard to try talk him out of censoring it, but he's the boss! :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:14 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

I think you've described the result correctly but not the reason. I think it was down to these players being spineless snowflakes and once we were out of winning anything the pressure was off. Also the fact we have a manager with no experience of man management of players when the pressure is on did not help. Nothing to do with fatigue in my book. :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 11:44 am
Absolute fucking scenes on here next season when after a full 7 days rest between games we're still producing the same dull, lifeless, zero energy, insipid football.

Can't wait :barscarf:

:wink:
This is exactly what will happen. Snowflakes managed by a novice. It would take more than an extra couple days rest to fix that clusterfuck ffs. :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
***** also gets censored which is an absolute travesty.....so you need to put it as w.ank 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 2:36 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
***** also gets censored which is an absolute travesty.....so you need to put it as w.ank 8)
That one I'm not sure about. Mike the owner never mentioned an issue with that word. It also works as wànk. :wink: