Euros / Ingerland Hype

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Euros / Ingerland Hype

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:54 am
augie wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:45 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:10 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:54 am
Saka has been horrifically racially abused online. No surprise there I suppose. :roll:

I just hope the authorities actually do something about these neanderthal cùnt keyboard warriors. Give a couple of these racist sub-human vermin 5 years in prison and watch this shit dry up in the blink of an eye.

Was nice to see though one Gooner posted "we still love you". 8)
Disgusting the way he and the other young players that missed have been treated on Social Media.

It is about time, these accounts are verified with proof of ID and the people responsible are made an example of.

Arsenal meanwhile will have to pick up the pieces, I have no doubt Gooners will give Saka a rousing reception first home game next season.

Why oh why did Southgate make so many tactical mistakes this game, when he almost got it spot on for the rest of the tournament. Grealish and Sterling for sure should have stepped up and said they wanted to take one before Saka. At least give Southgate the option.

But did he though ? What are you basing that on ? Like it or not you have to accept that england had a piss easy run to the final (and even at that they were played off the park by a poor scotland team), so where was he challenged ? Have people not complained all tournament about his continued practice of playing 2 defensive midfielders and their subsequent inability as a team to retain possession ? Last night that was shown up as the weakness it was. Before the game I wondered if southgate was trying to do a pep when he changed the formation (and dropped saka) and tried to come across as a smarter tactician than he actually is - you go from 3 attackers to 2, and you play a number 10 (mount) who again showed that he isnt the level that many talk him up to be, and you play 2 midfielders who cannot retain possession, and automatically you are inviting the italians onto you

Am I the only one who thinks that all this bullshit in the build up to the game about an extra bank holiday and a knighthood for southgate, has to be a distraction to the players ?
Will add my take for what its worth...

Southgate done well generally with his set ups as the resuts prove

Dont like the midfield...too much bite and not enough creativity

The changes he made did help Italy get in more spaces around the defence, can see what he was trying to do push forward a bit more and take a few chances

That said it was a good game, as i said previously just think Italy have a little more

Enjoyed the game and the tournament

also ridiculous to abuse players who missed pens...thats the modern world i guess...just like the moron who invaded the pitch for his 5 mins of you tube fame....fucking mug

Yesday afternoon I watched the first 10 minutes (again) of the BT documentary "no hunger in paradise" which looked at the pressures on young players trying to come through the academies (excellent documentary actually) - anyway in those first 10 minutes it should clips of england winning 3 european championships at underage level in the past 5 years or so, and it reminded me that southgate has had some fine talent coming through the fa set up in recent years, and he is no miracle worker to get them that far. I dont think that it is an ott statement to say that england have probably the most promising crop of young players in europe right now, and yes that includes the french.
I also think the results point is misleading cos it fails to recognise the lack of quality in the opponents they faced

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

People saying this is why players will continue to take the knee.

Ffs that isn't working. The FA need to take it's fist out of it's arse and do something.

It's the same over here in Ireland. A wee prick racially abuses Wrighty but he only got a slap on the wrist for it when in court. Fucking embarrassing.

Wrighty didn't help by saying he forgave him.

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:04 am
I cant believe how quickly the knifes are out for Southgate. Im hearing he needs to be sacked and replaced with a 'proper' manager as this England team is so talented that Southgate's limitations as a manager are fault for England not winning the World Cup and Euro's. Ive heard this before when England were stocked with Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Roo, Terry Cole ect. The 'golden generation' shouldn't be wasted and a top tier continental manager was brought in which was Capello & England were still shit.

Who the fuck would want this job where an entire nation think you should be winning World Cups and Euro's & not doing so is considered a failure. As if this England team has Dino Zoff in goal, Beckenbauer at centre half Zidane in midfield and front three of Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo, Pele on the bench.

Southgate did everything he can to give this team a shot at winning. The penalty line up was a spectacular failure but I get the feeling three senior players (Grealish, Shaw and Sterling) shit themselves at the thought of taking a penalty & Southgate had no option. He says the penalty line up was his choice, but does anyone really think Harry McGuire was a 'choice'? McGuire took a penalty because he put his hand up, not because he was one of five chosen. Grealish, Shaw and Sterling all ducked.

This was the closest England have been to success since 66, and its official, Southgate is England's most successful England manager after Alf Ramsey. He has gotten England deep into two consecutive international tournaments when so many other managers have failed to be competitive, in even one tournament.

Perhaps he is to 'nice', but he seems to have good rapport with the players and puts them at ease. They also seem to want to play for him. Southgate is now the 'England Manager' with authority over the role. If people think sacking Southgate is the answer, your wrong. Although he should be a bit more ruthless. I think Sterling should be phased out given Saka, Foden, Sancho are coming through and Sterling proved himself a fairy boy.

Apart from the brainless social media mong's, I dont think anyone actually believes that sacking southgate is the answer now. That being said, southgate DID NOT do everything he could to give england success - his best players are all attacking players, but throughout the tournament he played defensive football and deprived them of service, so why would you basically nullify your own best players ??

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:12 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
I cant believe how quickly the knifes are out for Southgate. Im hearing he needs to be sacked and replaced with a 'proper' manager as this England team is so talented that Southgate's limitations as a manager are fault for England not winning the World Cup and Euro's. Ive heard this before when England were stocked with Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney, Roo, Terry Cole ect. The 'golden generation' shouldn't be wasted and a top tier continental manager was brought in which was Capello & England were still shit.

Who the fuck would want this job where an entire nation think you should be winning World Cups and Euro's & not doing so is considered a failure. As if this England team has Dino Zoff in goal, Beckenbauer at centre half Zidane in midfield and front three of Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo, Pele on the bench.

Southgate did everything he can to give this team a shot at winning. The penalty line up was a spectacular failure but I get the feeling three senior players (Grealish, Shaw and Sterling) shit themselves at the thought of taking a penalty & Southgate had no option. He says the penalty line up was his choice, but does anyone really think Harry McGuire was a 'choice'? McGuire took a penalty because he put his hand up, not because he was one of five chosen. Grealish, Shaw and Sterling all ducked.

This was the closest England have been to success since 66, and its official, Southgate is England's most successful England manager after Alf Ramsey. He has gotten England deep into two consecutive international tournaments when so many other managers have failed to be competitive, in even one tournament.

Perhaps he is to 'nice', but he seems to have good rapport with the players and puts them at ease. They also seem to want to play for him. Southgate is now the 'England Manager' with authority over the role. If people think sacking Southgate is the answer, your wrong. Although he should be a bit more ruthless. I think Sterling should be phased out given Saka, Foden, Sancho are coming through and Sterling proved himself a fairy boy.

Apart from the brainless social media mong's, I dont think anyone actually believes that sacking southgate is the answer now. That being said, southgate DID NOT do everything he could to give england success - his best players are all attacking players, but throughout the tournament he played defensive football and deprived them of service, so why would you basically nullify your own best players ??
Southgate had two of the easiest runs in the WC and Euros. If England had a proper manager they would of made the WC final and won the Euros last night.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

This ^ 100%.

Borat played two extremely limited negative DMs in Rice and Philips, two guys that create nothing for the more talented forwards. In most of the games England were often outclassed and run ragged in midfield. He persisted with the completely anonymous Mount for about an hour too long last night. And then he brings on the donkey Henderson??!! The man that is the answer to a question that was never asked ffs. WTAF. :lol: :roll:

These are basic mistakes that if Martinez-Lite was making (and he does!) he would get lit up on here and rightly so. Borat is a nice guy. That does not make him a good manager.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Saka has been horrifically racially abused online. No surprise there I suppose. :roll:

I just hope the authorities actually do something about these neanderthal cùnt keyboard warriors. Give a couple of these racist sub-human vermin 5 years in prison and watch this shit dry up in the blink of an eye.

Disgusting the way he and the other young players that missed have been treated on Social Media.

It is about time, these accounts are verified with proof of ID and the people responsible are made an example of.

Arsenal meanwhile will have to pick up the pieces, I have no doubt Gooners will give Saka a rousing reception first home game next season.

Why oh why did Southgate make so many tactical mistakes this game, when he almost got it spot on for the rest of the tournament. Grealish and Sterling for sure should have stepped up and said they wanted to take one before Saka. At least give Southgate the option.

But did he though ? What are you basing that on ? Like it or not you have to accept that england had a piss easy run to the final (and even at that they were played off the park by a poor scotland team), so where was he challenged ? Have people not complained all tournament about his continued practice of playing 2 defensive midfielders and their subsequent inability as a team to retain possession ? Last night that was shown up as the weakness it was. Before the game I wondered if southgate was trying to do a pep when he changed the formation (and dropped saka) and tried to come across as a smarter tactician than he actually is - you go from 3 attackers to 2, and you play a number 10 (mount) who again showed that he isnt the level that many talk him up to be, and you play 2 midfielders who cannot retain possession, and automatically you are inviting the italians onto you

Am I the only one who thinks that all this bullshit in the build up to the game about an extra bank holiday and a knighthood for southgate, has to be a distraction to the players ?
Piss easy? It did open up I agree but it wasnt piss easy. Our toughest opponents were the Germans and Danish. Italy had to overcome Belgium and Spain. Theres not a great deal in it. Arguably the Danish were the weakest of all the sides but they had a good tournament. Analysing a group game against a rival country for whom it was their cup final doesn't prove anything. If you look at the winners of most tournament, there is a high likelihood they will have had a bad game in the group stages.

Southgate was too passive for the final, the two Italian CBs lapped Kane up and we only really had Sterling with the ability to stretch their defence after our strong start. Unfortunately, Sterling didn't have a great game. Saka should have started. Same with Grealish over Mount who I have now come to the conclusion is totally overrated.

nut flush gooner

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:24 am
augie wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:

This ^ 100%.

Borat played two extremely limited negative DMs in Rice and Philips, two guys that create nothing for the more talented forwards. In most of the games England were often outclassed and run ragged in midfield. He persisted with the completely anonymous Mount for about an hour too long last night. And then he brings on the donkey Henderson??!! The man that is the answer to a question that was never asked ffs. WTAF. :lol: :roll:

These are basic mistakes that if Martinez-Lite was making (and he does!) he would get lit up on here and rightly so. Borat is a nice guy. That does not make him a good manager.
Im trying to find the resemblance between Borat and Southgate and struggling.

Have you seen Southgate in a Mankini?

:D :D :D :) :) :) :)

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:38 am
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Piss easy? It did open up I agree but it wasnt piss easy. Our toughest opponents were the Germans and Danish. Italy had to overcome Belgium and Spain. Theres not a great deal in it. Arguably the Danish were the weakest of all the sides but they had a good tournament. Analysing a group game against a rival country for whom it was their cup final doesn't prove anything. If you look at the winners of most tournament, there is a high likelihood they will have had a bad game in the group stages.

Southgate was too passive for the final, the two Italian CBs lapped Kane up and we only really had Sterling with the ability to stretch their defence after our strong start. Unfortunately, Sterling didn't have a great game. Saka should have started. Same with Grealish over Mount who I have now come to the conclusion is totally overrated.

The worst german team in years by a distance and a danish team missing their best player, and you are saying that there is very little difference between those opponents compared to spain and belgium ??? Were you on the sauce last night buddy ?? They are night and day in comparison, and hugely inferior opponents that england faced - there is no shame in admitting that cos you still have to take advantage of it (which ye did), bou cant with a straight face try to argue that point

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

My wife on the phone to her sister saying how it was Saka's fault England lost.

FFS I put that right straight away telling her the two penalty "specialists" both missed theirs so we're more to blame than a 19 year old kid!

Yes, she knows fùck all about football but suddenly has an opinion. :roll: :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:

Augie, I think Southgate should probably step aside and you’ve explained why just after you called me a brainless mong :mrgreen:

If he won’t work with our attacking talent then he should step aside. Our defensive players are good enough and experienced enough to cope without these ultra-defensive tactics.

What we need is a manager who can unlock the potential in Kane, Grealish, Sancho, Foden, etc. Unfortunately Southgate decided not to even bother trying :roll: if that’s his philosophy for Qatar 2022 then he should piss off now!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 am
My wife on the phone to her sister saying how it was Saka's fault England lost.

FFS I put that right straight away telling her the two penalty "specialists" both missed theirs so we're more to blame than a 19 year old kid!

Yes, she knows fùck all about football but suddenly has an opinion. :roll: :lol:
What mad 'Woke' world are you living in where you let the old girl use a phone? I hope it's a coin operated pay one otherwise she'll be nattering on it for ages about cats or chocolate or Patrick Swayzee and running up a big bill. Bloody hell, get a grip, man.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gutted England lost. Yes there is the usual ramblings of what Southgate could've done differently, however, Italy did outplay England and are worthy European champions. Saka is an incredible kid that stood up to be counted. Looked as nervous as hell but he still took it.
Southgate is a top manager. He's got to a World Cup semi final and Euros final. He has been educating himself as an international manager starting with england u-21's. He will lead England to a trophy or two because that is the strategy adopted by the FA. We have undoubted talent in all areas its just we don't see it because of the blinkered premier league.
This Euros is a stepping stone towards the World Cup in 2022. That was the plan of the FA in 2012, when St George's park was given the go ahead.
All this crap about "if England had a decent manager they would have won" is bollocks. England have had two very successful club managers the last 20 years, with "the golden generation" and never got further than a qtr-final.
If you're English you need to trust the process.

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 am
augie wrote:

Augie, I think Southgate should probably step aside and you’ve explained why just after you called me a brainless mong :mrgreen:

If he won’t work with our attacking talent then he should step aside. Our defensive players are good enough and experienced enough to cope without these ultra-defensive tactics.

What we need is a manager who can unlock the potential in Kane, Grealish, Sancho, Foden, etc. Unfortunately Southgate decided not to even bother trying :roll: if that’s his philosophy for Qatar 2022 then he should piss off now!

I didnt relise anyone on here was suggesting that he should go, so apols for that :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have NEVER believed that southgate was the right man for the job, and I still dont get the adulation towards him prior to last nights game, but I'm not sure that now is the right time for a change either. For me it is a pick your poison when it comes to the england managers job - you either go for a nice guy like southgate who everyone is less inclined to abuse, or you go for a better manager who will have more expectations on him along with more abuse. I suppose to all intents it is a boom or bust appointment if you go for the higher profile but better qualified manager, but the english fa chose the safe option.

Sothgate doesnt trust grealish imo, and that is why he doesnt give him many minutes - if you look past the hype and bullshit with grealish, all you will see is an attacking midfielder with poor stats in both scoring goals and creating goals, but who is the best in the league at diving and "winning" frees. Sancho is a far better player and I am stunned that he got so little time in the euro's, UNLESS the attitude issues that were obvious before he went to dortmund are still there now.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:50 am
Gutted England lost. Yes there is the usual ramblings of what Southgate could've done differently, however, Italy did outplay England and are worthy European champions. Saka is an incredible kid that stood up to be counted. Looked as nervous as hell but he still took it.
Southgate is a top manager. He's got to a World Cup semi final and Euros final. He has been educating himself as an international manager starting with england u-21's. He will lead England to a trophy or two because that is the strategy adopted by the FA. We have undoubted talent in all areas its just we don't see it because of the blinkered premier league.
This Euros is a stepping stone towards the World Cup in 2022. That was the plan of the FA in 2012, when St George's park was given the go ahead.
All this crap about "if England had a decent manager they would have won" is bollocks. England have had two very successful club managers the last 20 years, with "the golden generation" and never got further than a qtr-final.
If you're English you need to trust the process.

Stop - you are killing me :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Btw does the undoubted talent in all area's, include the keeper's and centre back positions ? Pickford is a decent keeper no more, and maguire is bog average and his passes found touch more times last night than johnny wilkinson ever did at his peak in twickernam (sp :oops: ) :roll: :roll:
I would argue that despite his good performances in this tournament, shaw is an average player who will be torn a new one by saka and others in the coming season.
The lack of a creative midfielder in that team borders on a disgrace, and could well have been the difference between winning and losing last night

nut flush gooner

augie wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:59 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:38 am
augie wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The worst german team in years by a distance and a danish team missing their best player, and you are saying that there is very little difference between those opponents compared to spain and belgium ??? Were you on the sauce last night buddy ?? They are night and day in comparison, and hugely inferior opponents that england faced - there is no shame in admitting that cos you still have to take advantage of it (which ye did), bou cant with a straight face try to argue that point
Ohh here we go, because England beat Germany they are the worst team they've had for years. It may not have occurred to you Augie, that the Germans are masters of finding a way in these tournaments no matter what quality of team/squad they put out.

You could say exactly the same of Spain, Morata upfront really???!! Belgium also has a history of choking in big tournaments.

Totally blinkered opinions coming from over the Irish Sea.