Euros / Ingerland Hype

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Euros / Ingerland Hype

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:27 pm
I don’t think Augie hates England. He’s just jealous.

Ireland internationally are a joke. The most successful period was under an Englishman, with a decent portion of the squad made up of… Englishmen. Even now Ireland are sniffing around Bamford. Obafemi up front… went to school in Romford. :lol:
Woah woah woah you fucking cheesedick. We had loads of Welsh and Scots too! :lol: And a bloke that actually qualified to play for Italy but not Oireland. :lol:

shu

Post by shu »

Hilarious , well said both of you :D

augie

Post by augie »

shu wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:16 pm
Augie you really hate England don’t you ??? Or am I wrong , yet you support a English football team , one in another country , that is just so Irish . Don’t you have Sligo Rovers or Coleraine etc ?

So out of interest which England players wouldn’t get in the Arsenal team ?

No, but I hate the english media and sections of their fans - the kind of sections that has caused trouble everywhere they have gone, and all in the name of good old rule brittania :roll: listened to a podcast discussing the events surrounding the final last weekend and it appears that it was much worse than was reported (or worse than I noticed maybe) - there was an english journo on it who said that he hopes that england dont win the bid to host the 2030 world cup because he knows that these "fans" will bring nothing but shame on the country again.

I would love to manage that england squad of players - I get that england dont have a tradition of winning trophies at this level, but honestly lauding southgate for getting this squad to the final is selling yourselves short ...... way short cos it is the bare minimum that they should have done. Anyone who thinks that england didnt have a piss easy run to the final is totally blinkered by national pride, but it is exactly because of that easier run of games that I think england should have gone for it in the final - Italy had without doubt a more taxing run to the final, and their 2 main players (the centre backs) are old men that could and should have been exploited, but southgate opted to play one less striker and one extra defender :roll: If that assessment means that I hate england then fine label me with that if it makes you feel better, but like I said previously, there is a very large percentage of the england supporters saying the very same thing as I am, but I guess they must hate england too ? :roll:

Btw for the record, coleraine is in northern Ireland not the republic.

To answer your highlighted question, can I say that I would take either walker or trippier ahead of any of our right backs. I dont think either team has good enough centre backs. Tierney pisses all over fat boy shaw every day of the week. I would keep leno over pickford tbh. When you look at the engliah team it is very similar to ours in that all of their best players are young attacking players, and it is hard to cram them all in - sadly fat tongue would get in our team. If I'm england manager I start foden in the 10 (yes I know he was inj for the final) because he pisses all over extremely over-rated mount, but southgate rates mount higher :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

shu wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:37 pm
Hilarious , well said both of you :D
Not as hilarious as this though:

https://www.indy100.com/sport/england-i ... y-b1883354

:oops: :oops: :oops:

If any of you cùnts on here signed this let me know now so I can life ban you. :lol: :wink:

That's actually more embarrassing than when the arsehole criminal that ran the FAI asked if Oireland could be let in to a tournament after the Henry handball, because our fans were nice.... :oops:

Okay, maybe not worse..... :lol: :wink:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Pfft next you'll be wanting Oireland to get a non-participation medal DB :barscarf: :barscarf:

You and your cheeky scallywag fans :roll: :wink:

England did well but I agree with Augie they could and should have done better, too many England managers have been too cautious over the years and it is exactly because of the English two faced media and the small amount of shitbag fans they have been. Immaterial of how we feel about other players from other teams England should have won with that squad.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:26 am
Pfft next you'll be wanting Oireland to get a non-participation medal DB :barscarf: :barscarf:

You and your cheeky scallywag fans :roll: :wink:

England did well but I agree with Augie they could and should have done better, too many England managers have been too cautious over the years and it is exactly because of the English two faced media and the small amount of shitbag fans they have been. Immaterial of how we feel about other players from other teams England should have won with that squad.
One of the key moments for me in the final was Borat's ludicrous decision to bring Henderson on, then take Henderson off. Henderson is bog average but the media have created this myth around him being a top player.

It reminded me of the media pressure that made previous England managers bring some unfit/out of form/crap players to tournaments because the media demanded it and perpetuated the myth that those players were world class and/or fit. It's the action of a weak manager.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Must have taken me all of 10 minutes to get over that final loss. Italy were by far and away the better team on the night, and librarian Gareth showed all the reasons why we'll never win anything with him at the helm. He'll probably get a knighthood for doing what hasn't happened in 55 years but remember that the massive investment that went into St George's Park a decade or so back was done with the intention of reaching the 2020 Euro final and winning the 2022 World Cup (quote Greg Dyke at the time).

England have some real limitations in certain positions - goalkeeper being one example - but going forward with the window licker, Rashford, Sancho, Saka, Sterling, Foden, Grealish and some good players behind that, they should be making Euro finals and the latter stages of World Cups.

Italy were there for the taking but made 4 quick changes to Southgate's 1 and went on and bossed the game from 45 minutes onwards. A once in a lifetime opportunity missed. The two centre halves aged 36 and 34 were free to play with Kane isolated and we managed one more effort on goal, a Stones header.

I don't buy into the Southgate hype at all - he's over conservative and will never see this group reach their potential. Two massive games now where he has put the team into reverse gear and pulled the handbrake on. If he supposedly had learned from the Croatia semi final, I saw little evidence of that in the final

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:02 pm
Must have taken me all of 10 minutes to get over that final loss. Italy were by far and away the better team on the night, and librarian Gareth showed all the reasons why we'll never win anything with him at the helm. He'll probably get a knighthood for doing what hasn't happened in 55 years but remember that the massive investment that went into St George's Park a decade or so back was done with the intention of reaching the 2020 Euro final and winning the 2022 World Cup (quote Greg Dyke at the time).

England have some real limitations in certain positions - goalkeeper being one example - but going forward with the window licker, Rashford, Sancho, Saka, Sterling, Foden, Grealish and some good players behind that, they should be making Euro finals and the latter stages of World Cups.

Italy were there for the taking but made 4 quick changes to Southgate's 1 and went on and bossed the game from 45 minutes onwards. A once in a lifetime opportunity missed. The two centre halves aged 36 and 34 were free to play with Kane isolated and we managed one more effort on goal, a Stones header.

I don't buy into the Southgate hype at all - he's over conservative and will never see this group reach their potential. Two massive games now where he has put the team into reverse gear and pulled the handbrake on. If he supposedly had learned from the Croatia semi final, I saw little evidence of that in the final
Uh oh, SteveO obviously hates England too! :lol: :wink:

You make some good points there mate. For me it's not a top class England side, but that little bit they are lacking could be made up by a top manager knowing how to utilise the team's strengths. There's enough fire power on that team to trouble most defences, but it's lacking creativity in the midfield and as you say the overly conservative approach is a massive problem.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:56 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:02 pm

Uh oh, SteveO obviously hates England too! :lol: :wink:

You make some good points there mate. For me it's not a top class England side, but that little bit they are lacking could be made up by a top manager knowing how to utilise the team's strengths. There's enough fire power on that team to trouble most defences, but it's lacking creativity in the midfield and as you say the overly conservative approach is a massive problem.
In the group stage it was honestly like watching paint dry - every single game. An overly negative approach that we managed to get away with because the three sides we played were all content to play for a draw. The German team must have been their worst in 20+ years and they could still be playing now and not score. Ukraine were a pub team of the highest order and we were very fortunate with the penalty against Denmark - it wasn't clever play, it was cheating and if that had been a penalty against Arsenal, I fear Rodders conspiracy theory with refs would have hit new heights!

We use to criticise the way teams like Ireland played under Jack Charlton, but apart from a few less long balls it isn't much better watching Ingerlund. Always feel the same with the national team - would be a nice Summer bonus if they won a tournament but it takes me next to no time to forget it until the next tournament comes round

Oh well - back to nine months of misery under El Brent now !

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:49 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 pm
If this is a poor quality Euros based on the fact England reached the final, how shit are Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Brazil.
Jesus Christ mate pull your knickers up ffs! :lol: :roll:

No one said that. What a few of us pointed out is that Borat is not a great manager and this England team are not the best in the world or even Europe. Your media (and you) have blown this England team out of all proportion. They did well to get to the final but that has to be balanced by the fact many of the so called bigger nations were quite poor. It's not an insult ffs.

Oireland? Completely shit team managed by an amateur. Being honest and pragmatic about that doesn't hurt us the way it seems to hurt you!

And er cough cough Brazil don't qualify to play in Europe.... :lol: :wink:
I know, the Brazil was a reference to a poster who tipped Brazil to win the Euros and France to win the Copa :D

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:49 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:17 pm
If this is a poor quality Euros based on the fact England reached the final, how shit are Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Belgium, France, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Brazil.
Jesus Christ mate pull your knickers up ffs! :lol: :roll:

No one said that. What a few of us pointed out is that Borat is not a great manager and this England team are not the best in the world or even Europe. Your media (and you) have blown this England team out of all proportion. They did well to get to the final but that has to be balanced by the fact many of the so called bigger nations were quite poor. It's not an insult ffs.

Oireland? Completely shit team managed by an amateur. Being honest and pragmatic about that doesn't hurt us the way it seems to hurt you!

And er cough cough Brazil don't qualify to play in Europe.... :lol: :wink:
It's so easy to call teams shit nowadays because the players are so familiar to us. The tournament was severely hindered by the format, which is an abomination to international tournament football. I think this tournament highlighted just how banal and average most football teams have become. That the defunct propsed ESL would gain a bigger global audience than any UEFA or FIFA tournament based on the top quality players playing for their clubs, at a time when club football is bigger than international football. It will eventually happen.
I'm still trying to work out why Baku is continually used by UEFA, when it's barely in Europe? It must be for the football fans as that's UEFA's stance, nothing to do with money and greed.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Emile Smith Rowe has been called up to the England squad for the first time. https://t.co/QAvJLOQAUu

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:00 pm
Emile Smith Rowe has been called up to the England squad for the first time. https://t.co/QAvJLOQAUu
Made up for the lad but you know he will get an injury playing for them ffs :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:01 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:00 pm
Made up for the lad but you know he will get an injury playing for them ffs :|
It's a proud moment for a young player but I too always dread them getting injured on Interlull duty. :|

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:48 pm
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:27 pm
I don’t think Augie hates England. He’s just jealous.

Ireland internationally are a joke. The most successful period was under an Englishman, with a decent portion of the squad made up of… Englishmen. Even now Ireland are sniffing around Bamford. Obafemi up front… went to school in Romford. :lol:
Woah woah woah you fucking cheesedick. We had loads of Welsh and Scots too! :lol: And a bloke that actually qualified to play for Italy but not Oireland. :lol:
Surprised ireland didn't make more of a play for Le tissier in the '90's, would've been a good addition to the multicultural, diverse team that claimed irish heritage. A national squad ahead of its time.