Vieira Palace Manager

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Re: Vieira Palace Manager

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I feel a bit heartbroken at this. We should have had him managing us. I would honestly never say a bad word about this man. He fucking bled Arsenal. If we wanted to try a younger manager, it should have been him, not a dodgy art teacher with no genuine connection to our club.

augie

Post by augie »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:32 pm
I feel a bit heartbroken at this. We should have had him managing us. I would honestly never say a bad word about this man. He fucking bled Arsenal. If we wanted to try a younger manager, it should have been him, not a dodgy art teacher with no genuine connection to our club.

I would agree 100% with that - imo he isnt ready to manage a club like ours imo, but if we were gonna go the unproven road, then I would rather it be with a guy who was a legend when he was a player here.

Cue DB10 coming in and slagging him off about threatening to leave etc etc :wink:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

How well would he have to do to be considered a contender in everyone's opinion ?
I don't mean compared to Arteta but in general.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Arteta or Vieira ?

Frying pan or fire .
Both need experience one getting it with us the other getting it at Palace.

In the words of the prophet :- Judge them in May.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:30 am

I would agree 100% with that - imo he isnt ready to manage a club like ours imo, but if we were gonna go the unproven road, then I would rather it be with a guy who was a legend when he was a player here.

Cue DB10 coming in and slagging him off about threatening to leave etc etc :wink:
Not slagging him off, but the truth is the truth. He's not an Arsenal fan, just a bloke that played for us so why wouldn't he look out for his own interest ahead of the club's interest?

I just find it odd that this myth of him being a die hard Gooner that lived and died for the club still persists. He was a great player no doubt but not Arsenal through and through. He wrangled for a move every summer for years. Doesn't make him any less of a player.

The truth is always the truth augie.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:58 pm
How well would he have to do to be considered a contender in everyone's opinion ?
I don't mean compared to Arteta but in general.
Five years from now if he's still at Palace and every year he's made them a bit better. Or if he does two seasons at Palace then steps up for a couple seasons at a bigger club. I don't want him near the club until he has that four or five years of proven experience and ability. One fucking novice in this lifetime is enough!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:05 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:30 am

Not slagging him off, but the truth is the truth. He's not an Arsenal fan, just a bloke that played for us so why wouldn't he look out for his own interest ahead of the club's interest?

I just find it odd that this myth of him being a die hard Gooner that lived and died for the club still persists. He was a great player no doubt but not Arsenal through and through. He wrangled for a move every summer for years. Doesn't make him any less of a player.

The truth is always the truth augie.
I remember reading a piece a few years back about how in the summer of 2003 , Wanker was happy to sell him to wherever it was that year- Real Madrid, AC Milan, Lazio or fucking whoever, to fund a move for fatty Rooney but in the end Vieira didn't go and fatty stayed at Everton for another year before joining Manure.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Hope he does well. If he does and we falter hiring Vieria would be a very easy appointment.

Never rated Arteta when he played for us & he has been incredibly lucky to be given the job. I dont see how Arteta could stay without bare minimum maintaining within touching distance of 4th at Christmas. Finishing behind our 'big 6 rivals + West Ham is as poor as it gets. The team one place below us was Leeds United who were second division last season. Tell Arteta we expect to finish in the CL places & if not he can go. We dont owe him shit, certainly we dont owe him a conversation about how he still gets to remain in a job even though we are miles of fourth.

We need a manager who will exceed expectations, not one who will surprise no one

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm not sure CP is a club to cut your teeth on in the EPL, they have never struck me as a club going places more one which is quite happy to be an also ran.

I'm not even sure what would constitute minimum level success for them, yes top 6 is the obvious answer but is that realistically achievable, I highly doubt it.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 am
I'm not sure CP is a club to cut your teeth on in the EPL, they have never struck me as a club going places more one which is quite happy to be an also ran.

I'm not even sure what would constitute minimum level success for them, yes top 6 is the obvious answer but is that realistically achievable, I highly doubt it.

I agree with all of that - I think southampton would be a good club for a manager like PV4 to gain experience with cos there is a realism about that club as to where they are, and as a result they commit to the bigger picture and bring young players through from their academy

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:01 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:43 am

I agree with all of that - I think southampton would be a good club for a manager like PV4 to gain experience with cos there is a realism about that club as to where they are, and as a result they commit to the bigger picture and bring young players through from their academy
In that case I'd say Southampton would be the worst club for him! We have no youth policy, a shit academy run by the biggest coward on planet Earth, and an owner that cares so little that he won't demand success from the academy.

What would be the point in Vieira learning to manage with youth products coming through at Saints only to then come to Arsenal with next to no decent youth players coming through?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

On the other hand DB it would be an ideal place to learn how to run a academy correctly, say what you like about Soton, there have been a few semi decent players come through who have made them a fair amount of money over the years..... Unlike some club's I could mention

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:56 am
On the other hand DB it would be an ideal place to learn how to run a academy correctly, say what you like about Soton, there have been a few semi decent players come through who have made them a fair amount of money over the years..... Unlike some club's I could mention
Very true, but do you think he'd be encouraged or even allowed to use that knowledge at our place?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:48 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Very true, but do you think he'd be encouraged or even allowed to use that knowledge at our place?
Ah but some would argue that certain other people have complete control at our club so why wouldn't Viera have the same :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:01 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:48 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Ah but some would argue that certain other people have complete control at our club so why wouldn't Viera have the same :wink:

:lol:

Check. And mate. :wink: