Arsenal history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clummo99

Re: Arsenal history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

Post by Clummo99 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:48 am
shu wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:24 am
Yes :D boys the war ended 75 years ago , take your gas masks off
Gonna risk upsetting shu Farage here but his mentioning of the war got me thinking.... the English weren't world class then either. They did a great job holding Ze Germans to a one all draw before the Americans and Russians came in and won it for you. :lol:
Don't forget the Russians played the first half for one team and the second half for the other. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:28 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
shu wrote:
Gonna risk upsetting shu Farage here but his mentioning of the war got me thinking.... the English weren't world class then either. They did a great job holding Ze Germans to a one all draw before the Americans and Russians came in and won it for you. :lol:
Don't forget the Russians played the first half for one team and the second half for the other. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

I think they had signed for the other side but had yet to make their formal debut in that first half before coming on in the second half and playing a blinder. 🤔 :wink:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:53 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
shu wrote:

I think they had signed for the other side but had yet to make their formal debut in that first half before coming on in the second half and playing a blinder. 🤔 :wink:
An early example of dual party ownership. Pretty sure Kia Joorabchian was Russia’s agent.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:53 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
shu wrote:

An early example of dual party ownership. Pretty sure Kia Joorabchian was Russia’s agent.

Quality. 8)

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Got an old football book Charlie Buchan's (Mackem & Gooner legend) Soccer Yearbook 1971/72, £4.00 on Ebay inc post! :barscarf:

Lets see if I can get these smudges & Flickr to post properly.......! :box:

ImageI

Almunia is a clown

Almunia is a clown

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Some memories there.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:17 pm
Some memories there.
Brilliant stuff mate. 8) 8)

Thanks for posting that. What a golden age to be a Gooner. Before we became a business and us supporters became customers and money and endemic diving and stupid fucking VAR all but ruined the game. :(

Almunia is a clown

Just said to my young lad 27, Arteta is heading for Billy Wright levels of crapness, it's before my time but I've heard older lads mention & moan many times, especially on those old school Rail & Sail European overnight away trips / drinking sessions ! :barscarf:

My son just said, never heard of him he must have been crap! :cussing:

Untold Arsenal article on Arsenal's worst post war manager. :banghead:

"Billy Wright was one of Arsenal’s most unsuccessful managers – and certainly the most unsuccessful of modern times.

Quite why he was such a failure may be because top footballers generally often are , plus beyond any doubt our most successful managers were by and large average (or less) at playing the game.

So there is no point in looking at our table of Arsenal managers analysed by top four finishes – because Billy Wright doesn’t figure. But if we look at Arsenal’s managers analysed by history, games and success then we can see that he comes near the foot of the table."

https://blog.woolwicharsenal.co.uk/archives/3607

Almunia is a clown

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/20 ... en-scheme/

Contracts being issued for the Woowich Arsenal Manor Ground redevelopment housing project in Plumstead.

Hopefully Arsenal FC make a representation to the developers & Greenwich Council for a fitting memorial to be added to commemorate Arsenal's historical home. :barscarf:

https://853.london/2020/12/02/greenwich ... ll-ground/

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

"next to Thameside, Isis and Belmarsh prisons"

Classy.

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Andrew wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:53 pm
"next to Thameside, Isis and Belmarsh prisons"

Classy.
There’s no real nice way to say this but plumstead and woolwich are fucking shitholes,if London had haemorrhoids they’d be on plumstead/woolwich,

Even the brasses on plumstead corner are the ugliest skanks you’ll ever spend money to shag

Almunia is a clown

Woolwich & Plumstead might be rough areas but at least the locals don't burn down their whole neighbourhood in a massive riot started by drug dealers so that Daniel Levy / Joe Lewis ENIC can claim government handouts & bungs from Boris & the Tories! :barscarf:

Although the Suffragettes burnt down the old Manor Ground main Stand just before we moved to Highbury! :shock:

Charlie Buchan, Sunderland & Arsenal legend was born in Plumstead. :barscarf:

https://spartacus-educational.com/ARSENALbuchan.htm

Almunia is a clown

Football history / Manor Ground site redevelopment.

We've had some recent discussions about corruption & cheating s in the modern world of English football recently on the forum so I thought I'd post an excellent article written about historical cheating & bribery from the past.

I came across last years article" English Football's Longest Bans" by angryofislington about corruption, bribery & players being given long bans, some for life / prison sentences for their involvement. Starting from the early days of the Football League to modern times.

Just before the World Cup in 1966 I knew there was 2 Wednesday players who would have been in the England WC squad who got banned for life being involved in betting fraud. Way before my time but been told about it by older lads.

An earlier corruption bribery scandal involving those lovable Victim* Mousers & their partners in crime Manc Munichs also gets a mention, important because the background is often mentioned in context of Arsenal's election to the First Division in 1919 when the Football League increased the number of teams in both Division One & Division Two.

All of the above & plenty more are covered in angryofislingtons impressive article. :barscarf:

https://angryofislington.com/2021/02/05 ... gest-bans/