Arsenal 4 - Watford 1 (Friendly)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Arsenal 4 - Watford 1 (Friendly)

Post by Herd »

next door neighbour league

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

elneny received a ball with enough time and space to pass it on,

He was running towards goal facing his goal in the area and he had a man less than a yard behind him , he could have passed it back to Leno or put it out for a corner , the pass that should have been on for him was cut off by one of the players that had closed Leno down in the first place .
It was as good as a hospital pass just because he showed for the ball it didn't have to go to him .
It should have gone long.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:52 pm
Particularly when the bloke we're supposedly interested in isn't even remotely as good.
I like "The Process". You know where you stand with it.

It has led us from a situation where we had a brilliant keeper (Martinez) and a good if error prone keeper (Leno) to where we now have the error prone keeper and probably some new complete piece of shit keeper.

Believe.

Have faith.

The Process.

:barscarf:

*Oh, where "we stand" is knee deep in dog shit.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:16 am
elneny received a ball with enough time and space to pass it on,

He was running towards goal facing his goal in the area and he had a man less than a yard behind him , he could have passed it back to Leno or put it out for a corner , the pass that should have been on for him was cut off by one of the players that had closed Leno down in the first place .
It was as good as a hospital pass just because he showed for the ball it didn't have to go to him .
It should have gone long.
Didn't Leno do that exact hospital pass during a league or Cup game last season? Some statto cùnt refresh my memory here! :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
Particularly when the bloke we're supposedly interested in isn't even remotely as good.

It has led us from a situation where we had a brilliant keeper (Martinez) and a good if error prone keeper (Leno) to where we now have the error prone keeper and probably some new complete piece of shit keeper.

Believe.

Have faith.

The Process.

My one issue with that post is that so many people seem to have now anointed martinez as "brilliant", when the reality is that this time last year he simply did not have the body of work to suggest that he was good enough, and even this season gone by he produced enough howlers to suggest that he is a very good keeper, but not at the level of great or brilliant yet. I still belief that martinez was sold and leno was kept purely because there was an offer on the table for martinez and we needed the money - had the villa offer have been for leno, then I think we would have sold leno instead, but maybe I am wrong believing that.
Right now I hope leno is sold this summer as long as he isnt replaced by ramsdale - in the last few summers I have been looking around at outfield players and trying to suss out who would be a good buy for us, and tbh I dont have a clue what keeper options are there for us right now. I do know that ramsdale is not the answer unless we can buy him at £10m to have as a back up, because if leno isnt the answer, then ramsdale certainly isnt

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Didn't Leno do that exact hospital pass during a league or Cup game last season? Some statto cùnt refresh my memory here! :lol:

Neat way to abrogate responsibility.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

There's always Neto at Barcelona , he may not be the answer but the puns would be great.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:09 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

Believe.

Have faith.

The Process.

My one issue with that post is that so many people seem to have now anointed martinez as "brilliant", when the reality is that this time last year he simply did not have the body of work to suggest that he was good enough, and even this season gone by he produced enough howlers to suggest that he is a very good keeper, but not at the level of great or brilliant yet. I still belief that martinez was sold and leno was kept purely because there was an offer on the table for martinez and we needed the money - had the villa offer have been for leno, then I think we would have sold leno instead, but maybe I am wrong believing that.
Right now I hope leno is sold this summer as long as he isnt replaced by ramsdale - in the last few summers I have been looking around at outfield players and trying to suss out who would be a good buy for us, and tbh I dont have a clue what keeper options are there for us right now. I do know that ramsdale is not the answer unless we can buy him at £10m to have as a back up, because if leno isnt the answer, then ramsdale certainly isnt
He was brilliant in the lead up to him being sold. Even Messi and Ronaldo misplace passes and shank shots into the crowd. Doesn't make them less of a player.

The big one I can't fathom is Matt Ryan. Did very well when called upon but not even a sniff of interest reported from us when he was available on a free.

The cynic in me says there's no kickbacks available with free transfers :lol:

Herd

Post by Herd »

creative accounting ,its part of Arsenals DeinNA :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:21 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

Believe.

Have faith.

The Process.

He was brilliant in the lead up to him being sold. Even Messi and Ronaldo misplace passes and shank shots into the crowd. Doesn't make them less of a player.

The big one I can't fathom is Matt Ryan. Did very well when called upon but not even a sniff of interest reported from us when he was available on a free.

Ah yes but havent Gooners on here pointed many times at players from other clubs who had a golden spell and were classed as outstanding, when the reality is that they had a short spell in the middle of a good but not outstanding career ? Rob Lee is cited as one of those, Alex Manninger was another, and I would suggest that ramsey could be included too, but history is full of those players

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Nah Rob Lee was just average all round. A bit like James Milner. :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:58 pm
g88ner wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:39 pm
Oh dear, Leno is back :roll: He really does love playing those ridiculous, unnecessary passes… 1-1, will he ever learn? :oops: :oops: :lol:
Tbf g88ner, elneny received a ball with enough time and space to pass it on, but he wanted another few hours of time to decide what he was gonna do with it, and then he got into trouble. I have seen leno play some ridiculous short passes out from his area in the past 2 years, but I honestly dont think that is one of them.
I get your point augie but it’s Elneny, not Pirlo that Leno is passing to so it’s going to end in tears more often than you’d like if you give Elneny the ball under pressure.

On a risk vs reward scale, I think Leno judges it wrong too often.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:48 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:21 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

Believe.

Have faith.

The Process.

Ah yes but havent Gooners on here pointed many times at players from other clubs who had a golden spell and were classed as outstanding, when the reality is that they had a short spell in the middle of a good but not outstanding career ? Rob Lee is cited as one of those, Alex Manninger was another, and I would suggest that ramsey could be included too, but history is full of those players
Firstly, Martinez was brilliant and has been brilliant for Villa (despite you and rodders jumping on any slight error he might make :lol: ) with 15 clean sheets equalling their club record. But you know what - EVERY footballer makes errors. It's the number of "unforced" errors and stupid mistakes that matter. Leno makes far more.

Secondly, we didn't get to see if it was just a "spell of form" for Martinez, so you can't compare him to Rob Lee who was bang average all of his career before, and all of his career after, that one season of brilliance. Ditto Ramsey, shite until he had that one half a season of brilliance and then utter shite ever since. Those cases are proven "spell of form".

Maninger was a kid when we signed him so again is not a good comparison as we had nothing to compare his form to.

At the moment, Martinez waited almost ten years for his chance (most of it under a manager you totally deride) and then proved to be brilliant for us and has (so far) sustained that level for villa and possibly is getting even better.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 am

At the moment, Martinez waited almost ten years for his chance (most of it under a manager you totally deride) and then proved to be brilliant for us and has (so far) sustained that level for villa and possibly is getting even better.
And is now the Argentina number 1, has won the Copa. America… and probably at least doubled his transfer fee :oops: :lol:

Villa got one hell of a bargain out of generous Arsenal.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:36 am
augie wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:58 pm
g88ner wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:39 pm
Oh dear, Leno is back :roll: He really does love playing those ridiculous, unnecessary passes… 1-1, will he ever learn? :oops: :oops: :lol:
Tbf g88ner, elneny received a ball with enough time and space to pass it on, but he wanted another few hours of time to decide what he was gonna do with it, and then he got into trouble. I have seen leno play some ridiculous short passes out from his area in the past 2 years, but I honestly dont think that is one of them.
I get your point augie but it’s Elneny, not Pirlo that Leno is passing to so it’s going to end in tears more often than you’d like if you give Elneny the ball under pressure.

On a risk vs reward scale, I think Leno judges it wrong too often.
This^^. The keeper has to take responsibility for who he passes to in a tight risky area. If he looks up and sees the likes of Clive or Elninny with oppo player's in close proximity then he must see that they are error prone and both renowned for getting caught in possession and he should then get rid of the ball.

IT WAS LENO WITH A STUPID HOSPITAL PASS TO CLIVE AGAINST BURNLEY LAST SEASON !!!

Sorry just remembered the other one he fucked up. :lol: