Thank you

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Thank you

Post by StuartL »

Just wanted to say thank you for the man hugs and best wishes from you

I’ve been fine up to this point but now my stomach is like it is before a North London Derby.

My dad was 84, lived a great life - travelled the world in his job. as he worked for BA on long haul flights for over 35 years,

I’m trying to see his passing as a blessing, as his health had deteriorated so much in the last couple of years that he ended up on oral morphine 4 times a day, so he is no longer suffering.

Thanks again.

Clummo99

Re: Thank you

Post by Clummo99 »

Sorry to hear that Stu.

My Dad will be 83 next month and his health is starting to deteriorate recently. He's my Dad and my best mate so I'm particularly dreading the future.

My condolences buddy.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Condolences Stuart to you and your family

John F

Post by John F »

My condolences Stuart, I do not know if this is useful but when my Mum passed away a couple of years ago I didn't want the image of how she looked at the end to be how I remembered her so I put a photo on my fridge of her in her fifties smiling which I look at every day. Now it is that image I think of when I remember her.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sincere Condolences Stuart.

May your Dad Rest In Peace.

God Bless

OBG.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Evening Old Mate, I'm really sorry to hear of your loss and hope you've had the chance to spend some time thinking about your dad and what he meant to you. You know we all love you so much on here and if you ever need anything from any of us, you just need to come on here and have a chat, have a laugh, ask for help or anything and we'll always be here for you. Take care, mate and look after those around you who need you too. Lots of love.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Bless you Stu, I lost my dad when I was in my early twenties and it was devastating, I feel your pain brother, I really do, in fact it's made me teary thinking about your loss.

Love to you your family, rest in peace Mr Stu Snr.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Condolences to you and your family, Stuart

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Condolences Stu. He sounds like a gentleman. Best wishes to your Dad and all who knew him.

shu

Post by shu »

Stuart , look at it from your Dad’s point of view as I did with mine , it helps

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Great Post Stu. I'm glad that the bunch of great people we have on here could be of even the slightest help in this terribly difficult time for you and yours.

My dad died 13 years ago and at the end of a short but brutal battle with cancer he was hardly recognisable as the man we all knew and loved. It was devastating.

But I did what John also did - put a picture up of him and my kids when he was healthy and the kids were only toddlers and he looked so happy in it, it still makes me smile.

Just keep thinking of the good times mate. And I can promise that while the hurt never quite goes away, it does ease over time.

Thinking of you and yours today buddy.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Wishing you all the very best, Stu. I hope your old man's send off was grand.

We're always goi g to be here for you, brother.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

All the best mate, can't imagine how it feels and dread to think, and words i type here can't put in to words the sympathy i have for you. We all here for you as others have said, if you need to talk about things. My heart goes out to you.

Will be in all our thoughts and prayers.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Thank you again guys- all went well yesterday, he had a good send off, it was all lovely.
( I even hugged and spoke to my sister for the first time in nearly 11 years )

As the curtains closed he departed to the tune of “I’m leaving on a jet plane”, which made me smile, very apt as he spent his entire career airbone with the RAF then BA.

Oh, and I may have forgotten to mention that he was one of them from down the road. Apologies :twisted:

(Thankfully he never took me to see them, or god knows how I might have turned out, instead when we lived in London we watched Palace, Wimbledon, Tooting and Mitcham and Fulham when they had the likes of Best, Marsh and Bobby Moore playing for them !

How / why I turned out a Gooner, I don’t know as we were not exactly doing great in the mid seventies - the first result I can actually remember is beating West Ham 6-1.

He did take me to my first Arsenal game v Coventry a 2-2 draw in 1980, and many, many, matches at Roots Hall, Southend which became our local team when we moved away from London.

A couple of little anecdotes re my old man

When we lived in Hockley, Essex we were directly over the road to a Park that was a huge slope, and whenever it snowed people came from all over to ski, toboggan etc.
Every time I would go up and down with my mates on our toboggan, one year my dad came over too and came down with me on the back.
We ended up on the concrete path, which was solid ice, unable to change course, heading to the 5 bar gate at the bottom - anyway dad chucked me safely off the back and proceeded to carry on until the gate,where he put his foot up to stop - and promptly broke his leg.
When I asked him why he didn’t bale out he replied that he didn’t want the sledge to get broken.

Finally, on one of his work trips to Australia Craig Johnston was on board along with the FA cup, as Liverpool had won it that summer and Johnston was I believe the first Aussie to win it. I have a lovely photo of him, alongside the FA cup, Johnston in Liverpool tracksuit and a very tasty stewardess !

So, thanks again for best wishes and advice, I have many happy memories, photos amid it was a great comfort to know how much his wife (he remarried) loved and cared for him and how happy he was.

🍻🍻🍻 cheers all for the man love, much appreciated, I’m good but If I need a chat, it’s great to know you guys (and gals) are out there.
Last edited by StuartL on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

John F

Post by John F »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:47 pm
Thank you again guys- all went well yesterday, he had a good send off, it was all lovely.
( I even hugged and spoke to my sister for the first time in nearly 11 years )

As the curtains closed he departed to the tune of “I’m leaving on a jet plane”, which made me smile, very apt as he spent his entire career airbone with the RAF then BA.

Oh, and I may have forgotten to mention that he was one of them from down the road. Apologies :twisted:

(Thankfully he never took me to see them, or god knows how I might have turned out, instead when we lived in London we watched Palace, Wimbledon, Tooting and Mitcham and Fulham when they had the likes of Best, Marsh and Bobby Moore playing for them !

How / why I turned out a Gooner, I don’t know as we were not exactly doing great in the mid seventies - the first result I can actually remember is beating West Ham 6-1.

He did take me to my first Arsenal game v Coventry a 2-2 draw in 1980, and many, many, matches at Roots Hall, Southend which became our local team when we moved away from London.

A couple of little anecdotes re my old man

When we lived in Hockley, Essex we were directly over the road to a Park that was a huge slope, and whenever it snowed people came from all over to ski, toboggan etc.
Every time I would go up and down with my mates on our toboggan, one year my dad came over too and came down with me on the back.
We ended up on the concrete path, which was solid ice, heading to the 5 bar gate at the bottom - anyway dad chucked me safely off the back and proceeded to carry on until the gate where he put his foot up to stop - and promptly broke his leg.
When I asked him why he didn’t bake out he replied that he didn’t want the sledge to get broken.

Finally on one of his work trips to Australia took Craig Johnston along with the FA cup, as Liverpool had won it that summer and Johnston was I believe the first Aussie to win it. I have a lovely photo of him, alongside the FA cup, Johnston in Liverpool tracksuit and a very tasty stewardess !

So, thanks again for best wishes and advice, I have many happy memories, photos amid it was a great comfort to know how much his wife (he remarried) loved and cared for him and how happy he was.

🍻🍻🍻 cheers all for the man love, much appreciated, I’m good but If I need a chat, it’s great to know you guys (and gals) are out there.
What a brilliant and moving post Stuart .