Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What Will Be Arsenal's Finishing Position This Season?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Top 4.
3%
In the Top 6.
28%
In the Top 8.
31%
In the Top Half of the Table
19%
In the Bottom Half of the Table
19%
Relegation Zone
No votes

Total votes: 36

SteveO 35

Re: Finishing Position for This Season (merged thread)

Post by SteveO 35 »

Fuckface had us start last season with 9 centre halves, no proper right back, no decent holding midfielders, no challenge to Butter Wrists and without a clue what his centre half partnership or how to play Auba

Apart from trimming down a couple of centre halves what the fuck has changed

The only positive addition I see is Tavares as we were desperately short on the left and he looks a good buy.

I repeat what I'd say about Lokonga- we need someone in that role NOW....not in 3 years time, and its scandalous that we need to raid the likes of Anderlecht for a promising kid when our bloated academy exists to do just that

Wait till we've played the first game and you've seen Brentford fly down our right hand side time after time while Swampy is blowing out of his arse, watch Leno/Xhaka/Elneny repeatedly fold under the pressure of the press and give the ball away and stupid free kicks , and watch us pass the ball around at 1930s pace without troubling the keeper (just like every pre season game I've seen)

The notion that the shit of the past 2 weeks will suddenly be transformed into great football at the flick of a switch is fanciful thinking

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I am not saying that we are title contenders, I don't even see us finishing in the top 4 I just don't see us doing worse than last season, and I fully expect that we can and will do better. If we don't then Arteta has to go, but he just about deserves another chance this season.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:13 am
I am not saying that we are title contenders, I don't even see us finishing in the top 4 I just don't see us doing worse than last season, and I fully expect that we can and will do better. If we don't then Arteta has to go, but he just about deserves another chance this season.
Careful Rob, you will get banned from here coming out with something that could be classed as just a tiny bit positive!
I agree, I expect to do better than last season, hope for top 4 but not expecting it, {I know we should be better than that but that is where we are unfortunately}, as for pre season form meaning we will start shit I have seen many pre seasons where we have gone unbeaten and playing well only for the season to start and we are woeful!
Form in pre season means nothing, lets see what we get from Friday onwards, COYG

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Looks like the downward spiral towards bottom half of the table has begun in ernest.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:35 am
Looks like the downward spiral towards bottom half of the table has begun in ernest.
Remember that the first 14 don't count though

As long as you win the last five and are in the "top 4 post Christmas" league table, you get a free pass to break all sorts of records of the wrong kind.....then claim that a run of good results when the pressure is off is "momentum" :roll: :roll:

Gunner Rob

Re: Finishing Position for This Season

Post by Gunner Rob »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:03 pm
I have reluctantly put top 6.
It is hard to see which of the top 4 will finish out of those places next season, but I am confident that we will finish 5th.

No European football will help along with a fairly settled squad.
Certainly we were a better team than our finishing position suggested last season - 47 points from the last 24 matches is clear top 4 form. Saka is now one of the best young players in the world and White is a good addition to the defence.

I just don’t understand how some posters on here are suggesting a bottom half finish - no facts at all to back that up.
For starters with a crowd back our home form should improve. that was what ultimately cost us a top 4 finish last season.
I’m sticking with my 5th place prediction 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Anyone changed their view based on the recent run of form and climb up the table?

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:40 pm
Anyone changed their view based on the recent run of form and climb up the table?

Not one jot - I am looking at a list of victories against the likes of watford, burnley, norwich and a shite scum team, and recognising that it was the brilliance of ramsdale that won us the game against leicester, and viewing them for what they are .... ins against shit teams. The meeja and some fans might be w*nking themselves silly at muttering phrases like that arteta has turned AFC around, but I'll believe that when I seer victories against good teams. As DB10 says, there are just too many shite teams out there right now to allow lego head maintain a false perception of what we are under him

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nos89 wrote:
I thought 5th at the outset and 5th looks likely, so no. Only thing is I never expected Claret Scum to be in top 4 with Man U and Scum faltering. Trips to Liverpool and Manchester in next few weeks will be telling. Come away from those three games unbeaten and I think it is just a matter of seeing if Claret Scum fade and die…

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

I still think between 6th and 8th, I'm happy with recent form but you just know it is temporary, should we expect higher than 6th, well we are the highest net spenders in Europe in the transfer market so a lot is expected although tbf we can't expect these new signings to suddenly turn us into a top four side.

I think manu will have a new manager (before January transfer opens I reckon) soon and that will make a difference to them, West ham look like they are there or thereabouts, Leicester may well improve too.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

One of the biggest game changers in recent weeks is that we've barely had an injury worthy of the name - only Paper Ankles Partey and the Swiss Mong - and on recent performances that has probably been more of a blessing than a problem

The worry with a squad like ours (and based on every year for about the past decade) is that 4-5 injuries sees us back to the sort of back up choices like Chambers, Cedric, Elneny, Nketiah, Kolasinac etc that we all know are surplus to requirements but still taking up valuable squad places.

With an absolutely clear run of injuries I think we can hope for 6th. If normal service is resumed with injuries I'd still see us down in the middle of the table.

Clearly the next month with Liverpool, Man U and Everton all away will give us a firm indication and the league always starts to sort itself out around Christmas

One can only hope that when Xhakatard comes back that Captain Black avoids the temptation to throw him straight back into the line up. Whilst AMN is no world beater, he showed at the weekend together with Sambi that the club footed c.unt hasn't been missed in the slightest. Although Tommy and Ramsdale are rightly getting plaudits for being 'undefeated Gooners' it isn't lost on me that since the king of pointing and shouting has been out injured our midfield has looked infinitely better and more mobile. The 1930s pace was largely down to him and c.unts like Elneny - they can't be allowed back now

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Nos89 wrote:
No - I said 5th and we are 5th.

Only question is whether i was being too pessimistic :D

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Having been off the pace for a long time it'll be interesting to see how it goes for us. The complete lack of goals is concern. It's not we aren't creating them, it is simply not finishing them. We should've beaten watford 4-0 but for Auba's insane performance. We know lacazette will leave, aubameyang will probably go too. Will Martinelli, Nketieh and Balogun deliver goals? Of those three the only one that gives me confidence that they will score is Eddie. I've not seen anything from Martinelli that convinces me that he will score 20+ goals a season. He hasn't scored in the cup games when he has been given the opportunity, Eddie has. Which baffles me as to why Eddie gets so much stick from fans as not being good enough, although he does score regularly for a 4th choice striker.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Having been off the pace for a long time it'll be interesting to see how it goes for us. The complete lack of goals is concern. It's not we aren't creating them, it is simply not finishing them. We should've beaten watford 4-0 but for Auba's insane performance. We know lacazette will leave, aubameyang will probably go too. Will Martinelli, Nketieh and Balogun deliver goals? Of those three the only one that gives me confidence that they will score is Eddie. I've not seen anything from Martinelli that convinces me that he will score 20+ goals a season. He hasn't scored in the cup games when he has been given the opportunity, Eddie has. Which baffles me as to why Eddie gets so much stick from fans as not being good enough, although he does score regularly for a 4th choice striker.
Nketiah won't score 20 goals a season if he was playing five a side against the guys on the sunshine club coach,, even when he scored recently he did his best to miss from a foot out, how it went in I will never know as it looked like it was missing till it hit a divet and somehow dog legged left and in :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I think I said Top 8 - Can't recall...BUT, even with this recent turn of form, I still do not think he is the person for the job to take THE Arsenal forward and into the Dizzy Heights of Premier Champions...

I would be more than happy to be proved Wrong and for him to get us back to Old (Winning) ways ... But when he is on the touchline I just keep seeing someone who is:

Trying to control Ever single thing each player does or tries to do; and so removing all the "Spontaneity" from all the players as individuals and as a cohesive team. His appearance has all the hallmarks of trying to impersonate Pep... something nor someone he will NEVER be, Jeeezuss H I truly Wish Arteta WAS as good as pep :? :cry:

I think this up-an-coming game with the Scouse MurderingFilth and their Vagrant manager will say much about whether things are improving ...we shall see.