Forum negativity :-)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: Forum negativity :-)

Post by nut flush gooner »

Tbh this is why I don't get involved much in the debates these days. I can accept that Arteta has now well and truly blown it, and he should be sacked but some of the stuff that's said goes just a tad too far for me.

Was the same with Wenger.

It puts off new people from getting into the debates IMO. Toxic is the word I would use.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:02 am
Tbh this is why I don't get involved much in the debates these days. I can accept that Arteta has now well and truly blown it, and he should be sacked but some of the stuff that's said goes just a tad too far for me.

It puts off new people from getting into the debates IMO. Toxic is the word I would use.
Completely agree with all of this, its a real shame you cant have a debate without being ridiculed for having an opinion that differs to someone else, I guess its social media that is to blame, its fine to have different opinions, its what makes the world go round, I dont think you are a crunt because you dont agree with me on something! Too many people on here think differently and are vocal in showing it, puts people off joining in and generally ruins this forum but what can you do?

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:27 am
nut flush gooner wrote:

Completely agree with all of this, its a real shame you cant have a debate without being ridiculed for having an opinion that differs to someone else, I guess its social media that is to blame, its fine to have different opinions, its what makes the world go round, I dont think you are a crunt because you dont agree with me on something! Too many people on here think differently and are vocal in showing it, puts people off joining in and generally ruins this forum but what can you do?
Ban augie :rubchin: :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

elpelsarmy wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Which is precisely why I blame DB10 for banning Red Member! Just because the poor lad thought Djourou was an excellent CB, Walcott was underpaid, Song was one of the best midfielders in Europe and Denilson should be captain...............the demise of the forum started that day :D

Then poor old Baba went.......even WENGER'S HAT was only allowed a week or so of Arsene Worship :D

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

elpelsarmy wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Honest question here, how do you know it has stopped people from joining?

The way I see it is the club has nosedived from being title contenders to mid table dross with an uninterested owner and novice manager.

How the hell can anyone be positive about that :lol:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Bring back the titty threads on the main page :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:barscarf:
nut flush gooner wrote:

And there's the rub, Nutty. If I step in and ask people to calm down and be respectful of each other or if I try to defuse abuse or rows before they get out of hand then I'm "overreacting" or being "power mad" or some such shit. :lol:

The owners and a couple of us mods did a huge amount of work to try get this forum to a better place after the poisonous depths it plunged to during the last few years of Wengers reign. And you have to admit its a much better place now than it was then. But that took banning a few people and tightening the rules. Unfortunately we lost so many great posters back then too.

It's modern life mate not just this forum. The Internet and social media have given arseholes a voice and an audience. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:48 pm
Bring back the titty threads on the main page :barscarf:
:lol:

Owners won't let me rodders. :wink:

I remember when every new member had to post a tit thread when they joined. Good days. :wink:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:33 pm
:barscarf:
nut flush gooner wrote:

And there's the rub, Nutty. If I step in and ask people to calm down and be respectful of each other or if I try to defuse abuse or rows before they get out of hand then I'm "overreacting" or being "power mad" or some such shit. :lol:

The owners and a couple of us mods did a huge amount of work to try get this forum to a better place after the poisonous depths it plunged to during the last few years of Wengers reign. And you have to admit its a much better place now than it was then. But that took banning a few people and tightening the rules. Unfortunately we lost so many great posters back then too.

It's modern life mate not just this forum. The Internet and social media have given arseholes a voice and an audience. :wink:
Yeah, it's one thing people going at each other, it's another the tone of language used against the so-called Villains.

I'm sure we could banter each other to death, and generally, people on this forum are decent people just sometimes I see some of the stuff written, more so about Wenger tbh and it's like I CBA. We all know he had his agenda and he was complicit in the decline of the club even today, but it's time to move on.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

To move on people have to accept the reality of the situation

.Arteta is going nowhere , neither is Xhaka or any of the other targets that get dog's abuse in these pages. Kroenke is here to stay at the moment and no end of bitching here is going to change things.

Whilst the general purpose of 60% of the posts are to try to find ways to say the same thing with extra invective , as a forum it will stagnate.
There are pertinent comments made but they do need digging out sometimes.
I don't know how many posters are registered , but I would bet that only a few actually post anything . It would be interesting to see what percentage contributes.

If the discussions can get to relating to the football , how the club is run , matchday experiences etc and Keep the banter but not to the detriment of everything else as frequently it can be amusing , the forum can revive .

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

A11M11 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:00 pm

.Arteta is going nowhere , neither is Xhaka or any of the other targets that get dog's abuse in these pages. Kroenke is here to stay at the moment and no end of bitching here is going to change things.

Whilst the general purpose of 60% of the posts are to try to find ways to say the same thing with extra invective , as a forum it will stagnate.
I don't know how many posters are registered , but I would bet that only a few actually post anything . It would be interesting to see what percentage contributes.

If the discussions can get to relating to the football , how the club is run , matchday experiences etc and Keep the banter but not to the detriment of everything else as frequently it can be amusing , the forum can revive .
In my opinion it has improved recently. Bit more banter about. Cuts through the agg!

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

A11M11 wrote:

I think we went through a period of abut 6-8 years under Wanker where supporting Arsenal wasn't particularly fun and felt completely and utterly frustrating and which led to a large percentage of the fanbase feeling separated from the club. That 'peak' period from about 2010 until he went in 2018 was just full of anger, seething rage and a general sense of hopelessness. We all wanted something to change but nothing was and it felt like nothing ever would. I think this was all felt on this forum and probably across the supporter base as everybody knew that things weren't right, that standards had slipped horrifically and that we were, in effect being held to ransom by a failed manager and cúnt of an owner. This was probably the only place where people felt safe to express their view on the club and the whole manager issue without someone telling us to fuck off or show some respect or be realistic or be grateful for what we have. It honestly felt like a a place to come and let off steam with people who actually knew how you felt and could see what you could see. I still think that we as a club are still living under the cloud of that period and that it will take a long time to move on from it. Divisions were so deep and opinions so entrenched that I do honestly think it needs a league title to truly close the door on that whole miserable, bleak time.
Last edited by Perryashburtongroves on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

A11M11 wrote:

So basically run it exactly as YOU want.

Hey stalin how you doin, not seen you around for a while :wink: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:18 pm
A11M11 wrote:

Hey stalin how you doin, not seen you around for a while :wink: :lol:
I'm not having a pop at A11M11 here or anyone in particular but the bit in red is a valid point.

This forum hosts many people of similar outlook and sense of humour. It's not to everyone's taste, but to think the whole forum will change to accommodate or suit one person just isn't realistic.

There is stuff that is said on here I really don't like but it does not break the rules so I just have to grin and bear it. It's the same for all of us.

At least you fuckers can ignore whatever you don't like. I have to read every single fucking post! :cry:

:lol: :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Where did I say that ?
I knew as soon as I re read the post that I would get flack from all sides and maybe I misread the purpose of the thread,

I took it to be a comment on the reducing number of people joining and posting on the forum .

My points were made with that in mind .

I enjoy the banter , not so much the crudity but I stood on the North bank long enough for it not to phase me. however i feel my points are valid if you want new blood ,.