Why are some of our fans such a disgrace???

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Cesc is God

Post by Cesc is God »

dtjenkins wrote:Its funny at the Carling Cup Final everyone stayed to applaud the boys off
No they didnt! 2/3 of people left and only a couple of 1000 people including me stayed to clap the players. Everyone fucked off before the final whistle.

dtjenkins

Post by dtjenkins »

Maybe where you were but where I was I can assure you everyone stayed and that was quite a few!

dtjenkins

Post by dtjenkins »

I never have and never would. Whats the point? You pay to watch the game. So why leave early? I remember one game a few years back we were beating Newcastle 3-2. People starting leaving with 5-10 mins to go. We then score 3 goals in 5mins, 2 in injury time. People were running back!

I think there are a few reasons for people leaving early/not singing.

1. As football becomes more expensive a different type of fan is watching the game. Not the traditional ones but people there who can afford it. These people are not genuine and as soon as the game is lost they go. For that matter they'll go early to make sure they can get in their car before the traffic.
2. More plastic fans and hangers on because of our success and new stadium.
3. I've stood up to sing and people behind say 'sit down!' You can't sit down to watch football! I don't think the Emirates has sorted the 'ends' out yet. At highbury you new people would sing and stand in the Northbank and Clockend. If you didn't like that you could seat in the East/West stands.

I can't sit down to watch Arsenal. Iw ant to stand and sing but unfortunately not many people seem to want to join in. My advice...go to away games. Much better atmosphere and you're there with real fans!

gunner67

Post by gunner67 »

Spot on, go to away games for a better atmosphere.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

When Roy Keane said the Man Utd fans were the prawn sandwich bridgade full of daytrippers we all laughed.We would never be like that. Well we are now. Fans who turn up dont sing leave early. There heart is not in the club. If it was they would have stayed till the end and clapped the team off. THERE ARE MANY FANS WHO WOULD LOVE TO ATTEND GAMES AND STAY TO THE END BUT CANT GET TICKETS BECAUSE OF OUR PRAWN SANDWICH BRIGADE. TRUE SUPPORTERS SUPPORT THERE TEAM THROUGH THICK AND THIN. WHAT WOULD OUR PLASTIC FANS DO IF WE WERE IN WEST HAMS POSITION?

Pav

Post by Pav »

The way people ran for the exits after PSV scored you'd have thought the stadium was on fire.

It's a big shame the way things are presently, especially when you consider the Liverpool supporters following their late defeat against ManUre last weekend all stood, stayed, sang and showed their support for the teams efforts despite having lost to their bitterest rivals.

Maybe those who buggered off are the product of the spoilt Arsenal generation, those who never stood in the North Bank bogs and waded thru piss to take one yourself, or got a bit crushed when we scored, or went to games when you could pay at the gate - or saw Gus Caesar in the red and white!!

They weren't necessarily 'good old days' but the current Arsenal fan does not seem to accept defeat as path of the course and unless we are hammering teams they aren't interested.

Wenger and Graham before him have done fantastic jobs for the club but the supporters they have generated appear (in part) to be a glory hunting, moaning & spoilt bunch.

The team deserves better - so fcuking get behind them!

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I've got nothing against "new" fans. Weren't we all new fans once? But I do feel that, unlike some who haven't had the chance yet, I've earned my "stripes". Which puts me in a good position to comment. I was never taken to football by my dad (unlike my own very privileged kids!). I stood in the old schoolboys enclosure, then progressed to the North Bank and eventually to the Clock End. We endured things that the "more respectable" fan in the West & East Stands never had to put up with e.g. no-one ever tried to "take" their end and they didn't get wet! We didn't get issued with season tickets. We were a different breed. And, generally speaking, we were there only to support the team. It was a bonus if we won - and a fucking massive bonus if we actually played attractive football!!! A BIG plus though in those far off days was that it was cheap to get in and accessible to all. But today? Kids sit with their dad's and only "respectable fans" can afford the prices!! Long term - I genuinely think we do need a terrace behind the goal. Short to medium term - what about having a separate cheaper section for teenagers - again, behind the goal - where they can support the team without having to endure the rebukes from the OAP's in the Family Enclosure. And what about putting more seats in - behind the goals - with less legroom and reducing the cost accordingly. Upper Tier behind the goal is £66 for a Grade A match. Can anyone seriously expect the type of punter who can afford that price (for one game...!) to sing their hearts out for the lads and not worry about the queue at the station....? Liverool have promised that there will be a "Kop End" at their new ground. This needs to be more than a label. So where is our new North Bank and Clock End???

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Too true.

This stadium gives us the potential to have the best atmosphere in Europe, everyone singing, we know how the place sounds/feels when we score an important goal (ie Spuds/Manure), we have the potential to create that every game.

Maybe they should have saved money on padded seats and stuck something to give people an electric shock, that way when a chant starts a button gets pressed and everyone joins in, they could have stuck song books on the seat and maybe used an electric chair thing so ten minutes from the end everyone gets pinned to their seat by giant metal handcuffs! Ok bit extreme but would save the embarrassment of wednesday.

Points of action:

1, Rather than a membership pack next year maybe every member should be sent a scarf.
2, An anthem gets sorted quickly. I like the Jerusalem idea, just needs slight adaption to make it our own.

These should create a Kop atmosphere.

3, TFL pull their finger out and get the transport system sorted to encourage more to stay.

Must admit i'm tempted to jack in my ticket and go to away games only where I know there will be an atmosphere with fellow loyal gooners. If it wasn't for the fact the club would not benefit and every other one would i'd do it!

Gooner_mojo

Post by Gooner_mojo »

Yeah I agree the club needs to sort out the 'ends' in the ground. There are people who want to sing but they are spread out all over the stadium and are surrounded by 'prawnies'.

For starters the Famo Enclosure has many kids and teens who want to sing and stand but they are mixed with OAP's who want to sit and tell the youngers to 'sit down' all the time. Why are they mixed? Can't the OAPs have their own block?

We need to get all our passionate supporters in one end of the ground, or some in north end and some next to away supporters. The redaction section could be 4 times bigger as i know there are so many people including myself who would be delighted to join them. If we had our own sort of kop it would make such a difference, it would be easier to get songs going and the atmosphere would be improve greatly. Something needs to be sorted for next season!

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Well said Gooner_Mojo It time the club did something.Why wasnt this thought of before we moved into the stadium. The whole of the lower North end should be a singing section.Its embrassing to have 60,000 fans in the ground and only the Red action singing section trying to sing.How come Chelsea fans are allowed to have flags and we are not?

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

How come the RedAction section is tucked away in the corner anyway...? It sounds like us fans all agree - I love the idea of a songbook - but I wonder, do the club acknowledge that there is a problem? Ed - have you heard anything?

Redexpress

empty seats

Post by Redexpress »

I have never understood fans who leave a match early. Especially when there is only a goal in it.
I agree when the ground suddenly half emptied after PSV's goal it was all over - the players must have been doubly depressed by this. There was still about 12 minutes left including injury time, so a gung ho - all guns blazing - fans creating a lot of noise scenario would've been much more helpful.

Would anyone deliberately turn up 12 minutes late at the start of a game to miss the crowds?

worthing gooner

Post by worthing gooner »

I suppose that the RedAction section was stuck over in the corner was to maybe coax others around them to join in. With the section next to the "Away" will always make noise because they can bounce off the visiting fans.
An anthem is such a must for our club with many others having an identity to a classic tune rather than an "Fa cup" final record to sing. And Embracing new songs is always strange to me, we struggle to get them going and will fall back into the usual four or five songs (ie we hate tot*****m).
Being in the RedAction section I will never stop singing what everyone else is but lets be brave and go for a variation of songs and unearth a true Arsenal anthem.

AFC
C'mon

goonermc

Post by goonermc »

There is some truth in saying that proper fans stay to the final whistle, but not everyone who goes before the final whistle is 'fairweather'. For the first time home and away this season i left when PSV scored, and let me tell you it wasn't a deliberate act. I sit in block 5 (red action) and sing ALL game, i even make sure i take painkillers to the match due to inevitable headache after a while. When they scored i was devastated and just did NOT want to hear there fans celebrating, in all honesty how many of you went to holland to see us piss them of the park and get beat, then to Cardiff to see our young'uns take the piss and get beat, then on to Blackburn to get sucker punched, then finally our season rests on that night only to concede with a few minutes remaining. Now our next game is at Villa and guess what?? i'll be there again cheering our boys on and singing myself to another headache!!. So don't you dare say i'm not a true fan for heading to the exit with 6 minutes to go for the first time in my life!!. See you ALL at Villa then.

gunner67

Post by gunner67 »

Same as that goonermc. I left early on Wednesday, not as soon as they'd scored but just before the final whisle. I was at Cardiff too. I thought about Blackburn, but didn't. I will be with you tho at Villa, along with the Lager louts and Real Ale drinkers singing my heart out, staying til the end too!