IF BOTH FLAMINI AND GILBERTO LEAVE

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Fabby is a Foot (Leg-end) wrote:
Galasso wrote:Can we stop talking about the de-stabilising effect of someone being paid big money or particular personalities. The players have to grow up and learn to live with it or fuck off.

I'm sure that Almunia is a nicer person to have around Jens but at some point you need a big asshole to come in and start laying down the law for these so-called defenders.

And if Flamini gets paid well, and better than others, then so what? The players have to suck it up and show they are worth it - I mean, for instance these are young players have come into a side playing at the top of English football and European football. If they don't like something about that then bye-bye.
Great point of view Galasso - Fabregas, Sagna, RVP, Hleb, Clichy can all fluck off as long as we get Flamster to sign!?! Being a football manager is as much about tatics as managing big personalities. No one is bigger than the Club and the best for the club must rule even if it means losing a great player!
Thanks! They're all c**ts :wink:

I think you've answered you're own question. Being a football Manager at a club like Arsenal is about dealing with big personalities on very different salaries, something that goes along way to making these "big personalities". Do you not think there is currently a striking difference in player salaries?

The best for the club is to sign up Flamini and think seriously about his salary now that we find ourselves where we do (considering what he would have to do to replace him).

The issue also extends beyond Flamini as I believe the tax loophole that allowed us to afford Henry, Vieira, Bergkamp and Pires in the past is now closed.

Lethal

Post by Lethal »

anyone think gareth barry would be a decent signing,tall,strong,can score goals and has got a good delivery from set pieces and hes english ! :?:

Fabby is a Foot (Leg-end)

Post by Fabby is a Foot (Leg-end) »

>Lethal~Prodigy< wrote:anyone think gareth barry would be a decent signing,tall,strong,can score goals and has got a good delivery from set pieces and hes english ! :?:
Funnily enough I thought that the other day but in the papers in the last fews days (or even today?) it says that he might be off to liverpool.

Step

Post by Step »

For me Diaby is crucial for the future central midfield slot.

Post Anfield Liverpool fans were calling up the radio saying that they were literally scared out of their wits every time he got the ball.

He is the classic marauding midfielder with a shot as well. I would love Flamster to stay but feel Diaby alongside Cesc would be really effective.

While on the subject still a few Flamster and 2-0 in the San Siro badges still available!!!

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

>Lethal~Prodigy< wrote:anyone think gareth barry would be a decent signing,tall,strong,can score goals and has got a good delivery from set pieces and hes english ! :?:
Funnily enough I thought that the other day but in the papers in the last fews days (or even today?) it says that he might be off to liverpool.
Yeah, I suggested that earlier as well. The only problem would be his price. I think he is worth 10 million maximum but I think Aston Villa will want more for him. Left foot would give a good balance to our midfield.

Benítez Chasing Villa's Barry

12 million, eh? It's not a bad price for him. 2 million over 10 million but still. Especially when you consider that he'll improve in a better side.

khalid_red wrote:
Yeah, I suggested that earlier as well. The only problem would be his price. I think he is worth 10 million maximum but I think Aston Villa will want more for him. Left foot would give a good balance to our midfield.

Benítez Chasing Villa's Barry

12 million, eh? It's not a bad price for him. 2 million over 10 million but still. Especially when you consider that he'll improve in a better side.
I think we would be worth £12m if either Flam or Gilbo left. Not better than the Flaminal but def a worthy repalcement to Gilberto

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I am amazed people are talking about DIABY alongside CESC in central midfield instead of FLAMINI.

I really like DIABY's dribbling runs and his willingness to shoot and firmly see him as backup to CESC in an attacking midfield role, all be it one based more on running than on passing...but he cannot tackle for toffee!

I would only use him alongside CESC in midfield if we played 4 - 5- 1 with a defensive midfielder behind CESC and DIABY as a safeguard.

Some here have criticised my thoughts of DJOUROU in midfield in the defensive ball winning role, but

He plays there for Switzerland

He has played there in recent reserve games and done well

He is worth a try in that position.

Magic Merse
Location: Stanford-le-hope, home of the world famous Dougie from McFly

Post by Magic Merse »

tonysaunders wrote:
Magic Hat wrote:He had one amazing season in that position and has looked less amazing as his form has dropped off? To be fair, I'll put that down to tiredness. I wouldn't want Ade or Dudu to get expensive new contracts due to one season's good form. If Flamini gets it for one great three quarter season then a lot of our players will rightly demand to be equal pay or more

What about the loyalty he has shown?
His constant filling in, in different positions without bitching? He's knuckled down and thoroughly earned his place in the side. If you ask me, because of his loyalty, and his clear willingness to put in the work, he is one of the most eligible players we have for a pay rise.
He can show is loyalty by signing a contract and not joing someone else just beacuse they are offering more money.

T.S

Post by T.S »

Magic Merse wrote:
tonysaunders wrote:
Magic Hat wrote:He had one amazing season in that position and has looked less amazing as his form has dropped off? To be fair, I'll put that down to tiredness. I wouldn't want Ade or Dudu to get expensive new contracts due to one season's good form. If Flamini gets it for one great three quarter season then a lot of our players will rightly demand to be equal pay or more

His constant filling in, in different positions without bitching? He's knuckled down and thoroughly earned his place in the side. If you ask me, because of his loyalty, and his clear willingness to put in the work, he is one of the most eligible players we have for a pay rise.
He can show is loyalty by signing a contract and not joing someone else just beacuse they are offering more money.
That's a fair point, but he has undoubtedly been very loyal to the club, and I think the club should reward him for that.

QuartzGooner wrote:I am amazed people are talking about DIABY alongside CESC in central midfield instead of FLAMINI.

I really like DIABY's dribbling runs and his willingness to shoot and firmly see him as backup to CESC in an attacking midfield role, all be it one based more on running than on passing...but he cannot tackle for toffee!

I would only use him alongside CESC in midfield if we played 4 - 5- 1 with a defensive midfielder behind CESC and DIABY as a safeguard.

Some here have criticised my thoughts of DJOUROU in midfield in the defensive ball winning role, but

He plays there for Switzerland

He has played there in recent reserve games and done well

He is worth a try in that position.
Djourou or Toure could fill that role behind Cesc and Diaby quite well I think. don't forget this is if he leaves....I have taken it has read that every Gooner would prefer this to be a pointless thread because he signs....but just can't see it, it have been too long.

Magic Merse
Location: Stanford-le-hope, home of the world famous Dougie from McFly

Post by Magic Merse »

tonysaunders wrote:
Magic Merse wrote:
tonysaunders wrote:

That's a fair point, but he has undoubtedly been very loyal to the club, and I think the club should reward him for that.
Agreed, i love his ability to get on with the job weather he likes it or not. Personally i want the club to really try their hardest to keep on to him. I think i took a lot for wenger to convince him to stay, if flamini didn't like the club, the players etc he wouldn't of stayed, He obviousally wanted to stay and prove his worth. Now that he has done that i would be very dissapointed in him if he buggerd of some where else. Wenger has been just a loyal to him as he has to us. Wenger kept playing him even when the more (hmm right word, right word) Prestigious, Gilberto came back to the squad, when other managers would of put gilberto straight back in.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

diaby is a great tackler of the ball (except for bolton) and he can weave in and out of challenges himself i remember at the start of the season most on this forum were all on for the Cesc, Diaby partnership. i think wenger should teat it out in the nest few games

Magic Hat

Post by Magic Hat »

donaldo wrote:

He could have left last season but stayed and fought for his place.If he leaves how much is a replacement going to cost.Do Man utd have a pay structure? Do they fuck.We pay the highest prices for our tickets but the club refuses to spend money and pay players like other cliubs.5th richest club in Europe number one TIGHTEST
so why is Brown leaving? Thought it had something to do with wages...

How much will a replacement cost? Knowing Arsene, class player for a packet of peanuts, a one off payment with decent wages that can be improved. How much will Flamini getting a payrise after one great season? Not much if reasonable (like the 50,000 supposedly offered) but let's say he gets 70-80k, a couple extra million a year as Hleb, Ade, Cesc, Clichy, Toure, Sagna, Gilberto, Dudu, Van Persie say they deserve more money for either a great season or many years of good service then any new buys will want high wages which leads to more demands.

Could the wage structure be reworked? Probably but that has to be considered on the whole, not just for one player.

Tony:
Refusing left back:
However, given his fine form in the Champions League last season, it is a surprise that Mathieu Flamini has not been asked to fill in. The answer is simple.

“He is unhappy at left back,â€

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

Not sure how true it is but I remember reading that Flamini (and/or his agent) had told the club they reckoned it would cost Arsenal about £20M to replace him and that therefore his contract should equate to that.

At the risk of taking things too literally, if there is any truth to it I guess it would then be an issue of how long the contract offered was/is for. A five-year deal would mean wages of around £77k per week, whereas a four-year contract would mean wages of around £96k etc etc.

There is no way in the world I can see us offering him anything around the £96k mark and to be fair I think it would be setting something of a dangerous precedent to do so as it would likely be taken as some sort of benchmark figure. On the flipside, if anything £20M is maybe an underestimation of how much it would cost us to truly replace him in that that £20M would have to cover both his replacement’s transfer fee and his wages - so maybe he has a point.

ABO

Post by ABO »

definetly!! he would be quality in an Arsenal team IMO