Don’t panic! (24/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Don’t panic! (24/6)

Post by gooner.ed »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/editorial/index.php?id=115

usual thread starter… think bargaining at a Moroccan market stall. If you start to walk away the price can suddenly come down. Arsenal make clubs believe they will walk away. And if the price gets silly, sometimes they do look elsewhere. And that is how Eduardo and Sagna are snapped up for less than half ‘bigger’ clubs would have to pay for them. Does the Ronaldo saga make United a ‘selling club’?

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

by the way - i realise we covered this a bit in the thread on yesterday's piece, but i thought it needed saying on the main part of the site where it will get a few more readers. so apologies for any element of repetition :eatwords:

doublegooner

Don't Panic

Post by doublegooner »

Is the Nasri deal dependent on that ice cream loving twat Hleb being sold ??

Forget Yaya, Wenger not interested in him, as not convinced he'd perform for 3 consecutive games.

Club want Ade out & Santa Cruz as replacement. If that happens. Thats the end of transfers.

If true, then once again we'll have spent sweet FA, which will back up that there is no money.

We pay the highest season tickets in the world & want investment in the squad, to start winning silverware.

Redexpress

Post by Redexpress »

The more I read all the transfer speculation, not just the gunners, but all the other clubs, I wonder if wholesale changes are really such a good thing.

One of the factors that gave me great hope last season was the fact that we went into the new campaign with only a couple of tweaks, namely Sagna and Eduardo. The team was pretty settled from the previous season and all the preseason games were impressive.

it is true that we were, in hindsight, only a couple of bad results away from the top of the table, so maybe we only need a couple of players (depending on who else leaves), to continue our challenge for the title.

Nasri would be welcome, a central defender is a must, the return of Eddy and perhaps the blooming of Theo, would be enough to bolster us from last season.

We also have the best midfielfder on show at the euros. Our number 4 just gets better and better.

Graham Wilkinson

Post by Graham Wilkinson »

Very well said, Kevin.

I am astonished by the number of people on this forum who believe a) that we should spend money we don't have and b) we should conduct difficult negotiations via the newspapers telling everyone in advance how much money we've got and what we are looking for.

One of the things that distinguishes Arsenal from so many other clubs is that throughout its history (or at least since Henry Norris was forced out) it has been very well run. Whatever we may think about the current members of the board they have upheld that tradition. I hope they will continue to do so and that those calling for immediate, public and reckless spending will instead try to take the long term view.

We are fortunate to have a manager who has the knack of buying cheap and selling expensively. I would far rather trus his judgement to unearth a gem than spend over the odds for a so called established player.

There's international cricket and Wimbledon on at the moment. Some of our forum friends could occupy their time by takinmg an interest in these and stoip speculating and/or moaning.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

I am relaxed.

Ok, my worry is that Nasri is not the right player for us, too small, takes too long on the ball.

As for transfers, I will see where we stand on the afternoon of September 1st.

Until then we will not know for sure who we have bought.

Denislon's signing became apparent around midday of September 1st, and Diarra's signing on the morning of September 1st.

Wenger works under the radar as well as in front of it.

king gooner

Post by king gooner »

:barscarf: a very sensible piece from our kevin - couldn't agree more!!!

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Wehey, some positive stuff at last :lol:

By the way, when is the new Gooner issue coming out, Kevin?

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

next issue is on sale at the emirates cup weekend.

will feature full survey results and er.... 40 odd pages of something else!

Basil is a Gooner

gooner

Post by Basil is a Gooner »

gooner.ed wrote:next issue is on sale at the emirates cup weekend.

will feature full survey results and er.... 40 odd pages of something else!
Some very good articles I'd heard Ed :typing: .......... :wink:

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

ok 'basil' - a review of the cesc fabregas show from an in the flesh attendee who got backstage and met the man himself.

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

now go to bed - that's what i am doing

:goingtobed: and :sex2: (at approx 5.30am if the other half is in luck) :lol: :alarmclock:

Basil is a Gooner

gooner

gooner.ed wrote:ok 'basil' - a review of the cesc fabregas show from an in the flesh attendee who got backstage and met the man himself.
Wow that sounds good, look forward to that. :barscarf:

And surely this attendee was not "in the flesh" - you must have spent too long reading the general chat threads...... :shock:
Last edited by Basil is a Gooner on Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basil is a Gooner

gooner.ed wrote:now go to bed - that's what i am doing

:goingtobed: and :sex2: (at approx 5.30am if the other half is in luck) :lol: :alarmclock:
Didnt know Karel got up that early...... :wink: :oops: :? :shock:

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Re: gooner

Post by gooner.ed »

Basil is a Gooner wrote:
gooner.ed wrote:ok 'basil' - a review of the cesc fabregas show from an in the flesh attendee who got backstage and met the man himself.
Wow that sounds good, look forward to that. :barscarf:

And surely this attendee was not "in the flesh" - you must have spent too longer reading the general chat threads...... :shock:

well they edited it out for tv transmission as it was pre-watershed. maybe that was why cesc was so friendly?