Rape case, too lenient sentencing?

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
QuartzGooner

Rape case, too lenient sentencing?

Post by QuartzGooner »

Do you think these sentences are too lenient for the crime?

I do.

Surely for something like this the guilty should get 25 - 30 years?

pa.press.net

Monday, 19 January 2009

Three jailed for gang rape

Three men, who filmed themselves gang-raping a 16-year-old girl before dousing her in caustic soda, have been given prison sentences of up to nine years.
The girl, with a mental age of eight, screamed in pain as she was disfigured for life. They later laughed while using their mobile phones to record her suffering on the first floor of an empty house undergoing renovation.
Her attackers were among a gang up to 10 who had hoped the powerful corrosive would destroy forensic evidence, Met police officers discovered. As she writhed in agony, they poured water on her, intensifying the burning.
The alarm was raised by a neighbour in Tottenham, north London, who heard her "frantic" cries and found her covered with raw patches on her face and body.
Passing sentence, Judge Shaun Lyons said: "The victim has been left with severe post traumatic stress disorder and many, many physical difficulties."
In the dock were Jamaican-born Rogel McMorris, 18, of Antill Road, Tottenham, north London, who was jailed for nine years after being convicted last month of two rape counts and one of causing grievous bodily harm.
Co-defendants Jason Brew, 19, of High Cross Road, Haringey, north London, and 20-year-old Angolan immigrant Hector Muaimba, of Guildford Road, Waltham Forest, E17, were both found guilty of one charge of rape. The each got six years for attacking the girl, although a further two years was added to Muaimba's sentence for a separate Old Bailey conviction for robbery.
The judge made no specific recommendation about how long the trio should serve and the sentences were condemned by charities representing people with learning difficulties.
Kathryn Stone, of pressure group Voice UK, said: "These sentences don't come close to reflecting the brutality and horror of this attack."
Detective Constable Alex Newton said: "After all the work and the response of the community it feels like no sentence is any justice compared to what the victim has been through. But at the same time it sends out the message that these things will be prosecuted and the offenders will be brought to justice."

RaM

Post by RaM »

Much too light a sentence.

Maybe the fact that they were refugee/immigrant types helped them get a lighter sentence... :roll:

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

Surprises me why it doesn't.

Also only 5% of reported rape cases ever result in conviction

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

Apparently these effing bastards were in court sniggering as this poor girl was telling her account.
If there is a God,please do the business with these scum.
I was gonna call em Aninmals..That would be an insult to Animals.
I kinda wear my heart on my sleeve and im not ashammed to say that this almost brought me to tears

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Enoch had a point :evil:

goonarmy

Post by goonarmy »

I think an Eye for an Eye should apply for this kinda thing.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Rape trio sentence to be reviewed

The Attorney General is reviewing the sentencing of three rapists who threw caustic soda over their victim, after criticism that it was too lenient

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7840339.stm

---------

maybe they've been reading this thread! :wink:

To answer Quartz' question... yes! I do think the punishment is too lenient! 9yrs (probably out in 4-5 :roll: ) is ridiculous for such an evil, evil crime! :evil:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

The justice system is a farse,a guy at my secondary school stabbed the shit out of his "best mate"(a term he used to describe him in court) in front of about 100 people including myself at a bus stop just outside the school, this guy got off with community service, this seemed to happen because the mother of the victim forgave him in court.

The guy had stabbed his "mate" to shit and walked away shouting "where's my iron bar i'm gunna kill him"....this is after he'd just stabbed the guy several times. To this day this is somthing that still scares the shit out of me as the guy got off scott free, he done six months and then had community service....fucking joke!!!

Nice_Guy

Post by Nice_Guy »

Im glad you posted this Quartz. Saw this story on Mon & was shocked.

This poor girl & her family will have to deal with this every day whilst these ****s spend just 9 years behind bars.

I do not want to see these guys on the street in the future, what on earth must go on in their heads to do what they did?

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Just saw a blackmail case on the news.

Two people involved got nine years. Exactly the same sentence as these sub-human creatures.

Nobody was raped. Nobody was tortured. Nobody was disfigured.

The courts of this land need a good shake up. Clearly judges have too much power. And too much leeway on deciding sentences.

Judges should be there purely to ensure a fair and proper trial.

Sentences should be automatically linked to the severity of the crime.

The judicary system is totally independant of our government. They decide important matters. But are not answerable to anyone. They even overturn laws which have been decided in parliament, by our elected representatives of the people.

There are judges who are so incompitent, they would be dismissed from any important business position. But they are permited to continue malpractice until THEY decide to retire.

If they are totally useless at the job (and have been exposed as such) the worst that can happen is that they may relegated to hearing "less important cases". Less important to WHO?

People feel let down by the law. The police feel let down by the law.

Judges need to be ruled. Just like the rest of us are. :banghead:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Another thing.

These stupid human rights laws should be torn up.

Foreigners seeking asylum in this country should be aware that if they commit ONE serious crime, they will be properly punished then deported to their place of origin.

Asylum seekers who respect our laws should be given due consideration.

Those criminal types, who come here to exploit our soft laws, should be sent back home. Even when they say their lives are in danger (which is bollocks, in most cases). :evil:

slag

Post by slag »

Last edited by slag on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

BT

Post by BT »

Cus Geezer wrote:Surprises me why it doesn't.

Also only 5% of reported rape cases ever result in conviction
Apparently the UK has the lowest conviction rate in the Western world. In the seventies, it was something like 30% and we now have DNA, video evidence etc and its the lowest its ever been. Truly fucked up.

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I say give 'em life and see how they like being on the other end of rape and torture. 8)

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

I say give 'em life and see how they like being on the other end of rape and torture. 8)