Techno Tv advice

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
jamjc64

Techno Tv advice

Post by jamjc64 »

Ok i looked on the basement and thought this might not get found there, but if anybody wants to sell pills to fat people take a visit :lol:

Anyway its not a Q about our Belgium center back but my new toy for the world cup.

My 50" ( yep just a little bit bigger than Mr ****,s ) Sony rear projection tv is nearing its sell by date, so in time for the world cup i want a new tv.

I was thinking of going for a 48 - 52" Led, but does anyone have any advice on them or Lcd,s Plasma ect

Many thanks for your help and cant wait for the replys on size and inches :o

Mikegooner87i

Post by Mikegooner87i »

the Panasonic Viera ones are the nuts!

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/P ... ftolbGmkTy

Just the name should make it worth it no? :oops:

Otherwise the sony bravia range are decent, make sure you reaserch well as there are alot of good deals out there at the moment!

12thGooner

Post by 12thGooner »

here is a link to some basic difference between plasma and lcd.

http://direct.tesco.com/buyersguide/lcd ... %20tv.aspx

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Well i have a 42" panasonic "Viera" HD Plasma (using a neo pdp screen, this makes it a lot cheaper to run), i prefer plasma as they produce better blacks and pverall picture definition than lcd tv's. They also have a better depth of picture. Plasma will last a lot longer too.

Watching sports on brothers 42" (it runs in the family :lol: ) sony lcd tv i notice picture blur when watching football, even the quickest response times on lcd's will have this to some degree, plasmas and the old CRT tv's have virtually a zero response time.

The bit below is from wikipedia:

Slim profile
Can be wall mounted
Lighter and less bulky than rear-projection televisions
Achieves better and more accurate color reproduction than LCDs (68 billion/236 versus 16.7 million/224)[6][3]
Produces deep, true blacks allowing for superior contrast ratios (up to 1:2,000,000)[6][3][7]
Far wider viewing angles than those of LCD (up to 178°); images do not suffer from degradation at high angles unlike LCDs[6][3]
Virtually no motion blur, thanks in large part to very high refresh rates and a faster response time, contributing to superior performance when displaying content with significant amounts of rapid motion.

I have 4 large lcd tv's and a plasma, the plasma is better.

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

just turn it off then on again and then it might look bigger.

Goonanana

Post by Goonanana »

Looks like everyone beat me to it!

I'd go for a Panasonic Plasma 1080p with at least 3 HMDI's. Get the model number of the one you want then google it to check places like Pricerunner and Kelkoo

SCREAM AIM FIRE

Post by SCREAM AIM FIRE »

just got a samsung 50" 1080p plasma 600 herts so no motion blur from currys for £650 (plus £10 cash back for every goal ger-land score in the WC)

no complaints here

transformers 1 &2 and the dark knight blu rays were simply amazing on it
even the final destination 3d was worth a watch and thats possibly the worst film ever made!

:lol:

kevstarkie

Post by kevstarkie »

How much you got to spend, if you want a great tv for 2D and HD but also for 3D (so a bit future proof) then the Panny 50VT20 is out if you can get stock. The Sony range come sout after World cup so no good if you wanted a 3D tv.

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

SCREAM AIM FIRE wrote:just got a samsung 50" 1080p plasma 600 herts so no motion blur from currys for £650 (plus £10 cash back for every goal ger-land score in the WC)

no complaints here

even the final destination 3d was worth a watch and thats possibly the worst film ever made!

thats fucking ridiculous, it must have been the leading easter offer surely? (used to work for the company and remember fondly flogging 42" plasmas for 4 grand about 7 years ago lol)

from a former 'professional' (read: kid working weekends) opinion, i always rated panasonic for quality and samsung for the price.

SCREAM AIM FIRE

Post by SCREAM AIM FIRE »

xDAVEYx wrote:
SCREAM AIM FIRE wrote:just got a samsung 50" 1080p plasma 600 herts so no motion blur from currys for £650 (plus £10 cash back for every goal ger-land score in the WC)

no complaints here

thats fucking ridiculous, it must have been the leading easter offer surely? (used to work for the company and remember fondly flogging 42" plasmas for 4 grand about 7 years ago lol)

from a former 'professional' (read: kid working weekends) opinion, i always rated panasonic for quality and samsung for the price.
no idea what offer it was, just knew it was too good to turn down :lol:

especially with the chance of getting up to £150 back for it (now the biggest england fan in the world :lol:)

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

What I dont understand with my friends plasma is, if he is watching say channel 4 and something is still in the picture like the channel 4 logo, if you change the channel the logo burns into the screen so you can still see it.

xDAVEYx

Post by xDAVEYx »

kingjayson1 wrote:What I dont understand with my friends plasma is, if he is watching say channel 4 and something is still in the picture like the channel 4 logo, if you change the channel the logo burns into the screen so you can still see it.
your mate watches channel 4 too much then :lol:

the way you can cure it is leaving a white screen on for something like 12 hours, should burn it right out

jamjc64

Post by jamjc64 »

kevstarkie wrote:How much you got to spend, if you want a great tv for 2D and HD but also for 3D (so a bit future proof) then the Panny 50VT20 is out if you can get stock. The Sony range come sout after World cup so no good if you wanted a 3D tv.
Well looking up to £1500, but the Panasonic Viera TX-P50G20B looks to be the choice at the mo . Cheapest i have found is £1155 at Dixons :barscarf:

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I'll settle for my 32" LCD and then just go down the pub to watch the England games on a 9' screen..... Much cheaper and a whole lot more fun :barscarf: !!

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Plasma's can suffer from screen burn if you watch too much of something with a logo permanently on screen.
Plasma's are generally regarded as slightly better once you go over 40", LCD's are better up to that size.
OLED TV's are the best but are still very expensive. Be careful if you are looking at LED TV's because although they look fantastic, being just an inch or so thick, you want to ensure you get a 'Full LED' and not partial, like the Samsungs are. Some Samsung's just have LED's around the edge of the screen, this will not be anywhere near as good as fully backlit LED.
Philips have bought out some very highly rated LED TV's recently.

Panny's are excellent quality, Pioneer were superb but they have now dropped out of the TV market so any models will be 'old' models.

When you look at the spec, make sure you go for one that has a high contrast level, the higher it is, the 'truer' the black levels will be.