THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:18 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 am
Just finishing up "Last of the Giants - The True Story of Guns n Roses" by ex-Kerrang writer Mick Wall.

It's a brilliant read. And Mick is a brilliant writer. He captures the excess, the madness, and the feel of the 80's LA metal scene perfectly.

There's also some eye opening behind the scenes info that is not well known - things like the real reason Axl Rose hates Steven Adler (he believes Adler OD'd and raped Axl's then wife Erin Everly). :shock:

One thing that really comes through is that Axl Rose is even more fucked up than most people think and has suffered from severe anxiety attacks throughout his life.

Also, Mick Jagger comes across as a bit of a cùnt. :lol:

Overall a great read, like most of Mick Wall's books.
Probably should have put this on the music thread.
No doubt Guns n Roses, were probably the last great Rock / Metal band.
I always regarded them as something of a "one album wonder" Appetite for Destruction is a classic album, but they never came close to making anything close to it again.
Same can't be said when talking about the true greats like Sabbath, Led Zep (although i'm not a Zep fan) AC/DC (Bon Scott era) Pink Floyd and even Thin Lizzy.
I've always been dubious on American Rock / Metal bands, they never had the raw feeling, that British bands had.
It was all too commercial and "video" orientated.
Just my view, I'm sure you're going to go through scathing criticism :lol: :wink:
Yeah I'm gonna have to, buddy. :D :wink:

You older dudes :wink: were influenced by early Zep, Floyd, Bon Scott era AC/DC, etc., but us slightly younger handsome cats 8) were influenced by Maiden, Van Halen, GNR and the HUGE elephant in the room that pisses all over your "last great rock/metal bands" and "raw feeling lacking from US metal" points: METALLICA. 8)

Also the two Use Your Illusion albums were amazing... in places. The problem was too many filler tracks. If they hadn't let Axl Rose's ego dictate everything, and had cut those two albums down to one album with the best 10 tracks it would have been one of the greatest albums if all time.

I'm also a serious AC/DC fan but I loved both the Bon Scott and Beano Johnson eras. Back in Black is one of the greatest albums of all time. 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:37 pm
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Just finishing up "Last of the Giants - The True Story of Guns n Roses" by ex-Kerrang writer Mick Wall.

It's a brilliant read. And Mick is a brilliant writer. He captures the excess, the madness, and the feel of the 80's LA metal scene perfectly.

There's also some eye opening behind the scenes info that is not well known - things like the real reason Axl Rose hates Steven Adler (he believes Adler OD'd and raped Axl's then wife Erin Everly). :shock:

One thing that really comes through is that Axl Rose is even more fucked up than most people think and has suffered from severe anxiety attacks throughout his life.

I always regarded them as something of a "one album wonder" Appetite for Destruction is a classic album, but they never came close to making anything close to it again.
Same can't be said when talking about the true greats like Sabbath, Led Zep (although i'm not a Zep fan) AC/DC (Bon Scott era) Pink Floyd and even Thin Lizzy.
I've always been dubious on American Rock / Metal bands, they never had the raw feeling, that British bands had.
Just my view, I'm sure you're going to go through scathing criticism :lol: :wink:

You older dudes :wink: were influenced by early Zep, Floyd, Bon Scott era AC/DC, etc., but us slightly younger handsome cats 8) were influenced by Maiden, Van Halen, GNR and the HUGE elephant in the room that pisses all over your "last great rock/metal bands" and "raw feeling lacking from US metal" points: METALLICA. 8)

Also the two Use Your Illusion albums were amazing... in places. The problem was too many filler tracks. If they hadn't let Axl Rose's ego dictate everything, and had cut those two albums down to one album with the best 10 tracks it would have been one of the greatest albums if all time.

I'm also a serious AC/DC fan but I loved both the Bon Scott and Beano Johnson eras. Back in Black is one of the greatest albums of all time. 8)
Maybe you just liked the frizzy hairdos, lycra and make-up :wink:
I can't stand anything AC/DC did with Johnson, half of back in black was Scott's work.
Seen them in Dublin on the those about to rock tour, they'd become a circus act, with canons and bells. Never bought another album after that, actually turn radio off in the car, once I johnson squealing like a pig.
I was huge AC/DC fan after first seeing them on Rock goes to College on BBC, I bought all the import albums from Australia, still have them,some worth a few quid now, but would never sell.
I'm 57 now, still get a lump in my throat when I hear a great song on the radio! From, Freebird, It's a long way to the top, to sweet child of mine!
Now I listen to Rory Gallagher stuff all the time, went to see him in the Templemore Sports Complex in Derry, when unfortunately I was both too young and too pissed to appreciate the absolute genius I was beholding!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Also-fuckin-lutely!...

I remember hearing on the radio that Bon Scott had died and I was like Damn we won't see them again (First saw AC/DC on their 1st tour of the UK) in what used to be a Top Rank place with about 100 people at most on a wet, rainy Tuesday night, watered down beer and the usual fights here and there. But you could tell they were something special - with a Guitarist who dressed and looked like a schoolboy but who had enough energy to light-up the National Grid and even then he could "Play".

Then Brian Johnson was announced as Bonn's replacement - Must admit I hadn't even heard of him and I was sceptical of anyone being able to take over the Vocals - Then I remember hearing the opening bars of Hells' bells on the Friday Night Rock Show presented by the late Tommy Vance....and it sent shivers down my spine - the opening bells and those chords announcing - Yes, we have lost our brother but we are carrying on...

When I am having a dark moment I will often put Back In Black on and it (Literally) drives the webs away and kicks the blues out the fuckingg door.

And of course it went to Number One in 5 days.... The buying power of Rock back then - They were on tour in Australia at the time and there was a piece in "SOUNDS" - Weekly Rock Paper with Geoff Barton interviewing them and they were sat on a beach all pished shouting NUMBER ONE!!!!!!

FUCKINN LOVE THEM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tOKYFR4Rzg

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:50 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Also-fuckin-lutely!...

I remember hearing on the radio that Bon Scott had died and I was like Damn we won't see them again (First saw AC/DC on their 1st tour of the UK) in what used to be a Top Rank place with about 100 people at most on a wet, rainy Tuesday night, watered down beer and the usual fights here and there. But you could tell they were something special - with a Guitarist who dressed and looked like a schoolboy but who had enough energy to light-up the National Grid and even then he could "Play".

Then Brian Johnson was announced as Bonn's replacement - Must admit I hadn't even heard of him and I was sceptical of anyone being able to take over the Vocals - Then I remember hearing the opening bars of Hells' bells on the Friday Night Rock Show presented by the late Tommy Vance....and it sent shivers down my spine - the opening bells and those chords announcing - Yes, we have lost our brother but we are carrying on...

When I am having a dark moment I will often put Back In Black on and it (Literally) drives the webs away and kicks the blues out the fuckingg door.

And of course it went to Number One in 5 days.... The buying power of Rock back then - They were on tour in Australia at the time and there was a piece in "SOUNDS" - Weekly Rock Paper with Geoff Barton interviewing them and they were sat on a beach all pished shouting NUMBER ONE!!!!!!

FUCKINN LOVE THEM.

As I said, much of the back in black album was inspired by ideas for songs scribbled in a notebook by Bon.
I still consider Powerage, their best album, followed closely by Highway to Hell.
If you want blood album, one of the best raw live albums ever, the later Johnson live album, can only be described as truly awful and summed up perfectly what AC/DC had become, ie, Americanised MTV shite.
Their subsequent albums got worse with each release, Johnsons "songwriting" was schoolboy like.
The Youngs, eventually forced to taking over all lyric writing and this was subsidised by "circus act" stage shows.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:56 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:50 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Also-fuckin-lutely!...

FUCKINN LOVE THEM.

As I said, much of the back in black album was inspired by ideas for songs scribbled in a notebook by Bon.
I still consider Powerage, their best album, followed closely by Highway to Hell.
If you want blood album, one of the best raw live albums ever, the later Johnson live album, can only be described as truly awful and summed up perfectly what AC/DC had become, ie, Americanised MTV shite.
Their subsequent albums got worse with each release, Johnsons "songwriting" was schoolboy like.
The Youngs, eventually forced to taking over all lyric writing and this was subsidised by "circus act" stage shows.
It wasn't, sid. That's a myth unfortunately, started by two old attention seeking slags Bon had been riding.

Johnson has stated the Youngs gave him the raw songs with no lyrics and he wrote them all for Back in Black. Then the Youngs stated the ONLY input Bon had was to play DRUMS on an early demo of "Hells Bells" while Angus worked out the intro. He also played some demo drums for "Have a Drink on me".

The "Bon Scott wrote some or all of Back in Black" rumour is a myth that has persisted for decades, but even without Johnson and the Youngs' statements, a cursory reading of the lyrics make it very obvious Bon was not involved in the writing. As I say I love both vocalists, but there is no denying Bon was the far better lyricist.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

For me "Back In Black" is their best album and in many ways set the standard for other "Rock Bands" to follow.

Edit: Also I thought the title itself was a Homage to Bon Scott, I recall when he died quite a number of AC/DC fans expressing their concerns about whether they would continue. I'm sure I read somewhere amongst countless post-Bon Scott era interviews that it WAS titled as a show of respect to him, they were "Back" but in "Black" - as if they were mourning his passing. ?

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

FFS! :banghead:

Wrong thread although I've been reading Billy Braggs book about Skiffle & the early roots of Rock & Roll in England, not finished that yet!

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

One for any ‘Jaws’ fans out there. Halfway through ‘Quint’, the backstory of Robert Shaw’s character. A lot of stories of his Navy days, including the sinking of the Indianapolis. Written in a kind of way that the character spoke, so a lot of slang, but really enjoyable.
Recommended.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

goonertux wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:24 am
One for any ‘Jaws’ fans out there. Halfway through ‘Quint’, the backstory of Robert Shaw’s character. A lot of stories of his Navy days, including the sinking of the Indianapolis. Written in a kind of way that the character spoke, so a lot of slang, but really enjoyable.
Recommended.
That’s an interesting back story I’m sure

Quite a few in here that love hearing about a sailor going down

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:46 pm
goonertux wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:24 am
Recommended.
That’s an interesting back story I’m sure

Quite a few in here that love hearing about a sailor going down
And Stuart would know ... :D :wink:

Ohhh! You Mean...

:duh: :oops: