THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Re: THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

Post by officepest »

Why the Allies Won – Richard Overy

Don’t let the rather obvious sounding title fool you; this is another excellent historical analysis of the War which looks at the contrasting fortunes of the Allies and Axis powers during the Second World War.

Far from being a straightforward mathematical certainty that the Allies would win the war through logistical supremacy, this book details the very real possibilitiy (Atlantic ’41, Pacific until after Midway and Eastern Front until ’43) that the Axis would sweep to victory.

Well written, thoughtful and persuasive and relatively short (300+ pages). Brevity in this case is welcome as the author doesn’t get bogged down in over-analysing in minute detail and still manages to convey the magnitude of the swing from the allies’ perilous early position to certain victors.

Very good indeed.

That's me up to date, gonna start on Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich now for some light relief. :wink:

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

officepest wrote:Why the Allies Won – Richard Overy

Don’t let the rather obvious sounding title fool you; this is another excellent historical analysis of the War which looks at the contrasting fortunes of the Allies and Axis powers during the Second World War.

Far from being a straightforward mathematical certainty that the Allies would win the war through logistical supremacy, this book details the very real possibilitiy (Atlantic ’41, Pacific until after Midway and Eastern Front until ’43) that the Axis would sweep to victory.

Well written, thoughtful and persuasive and relatively short (300+ pages). Brevity in this case is welcome as the author doesn’t get bogged down in over-analysing in minute detail and still manages to convey the magnitude of the swing from the allies’ perilous early position to certain victors.

Very good indeed.

That's me up to date, gonna start on Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich now for some light relief. :wink:
Hope his writing's better than his analysis on Match of the Day.

:barscarf:

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

Just bought a book called A is for arsenic (seems appropriate in our current plight )
I'm that depressed right now I mite fucking take some up the reds :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Brightonnxtround wrote:Just bought a book called A is for arsenic (seems appropriate in our current plight )
Try some A is for Absinthe,it has not got the same whiff of finality about it. :barscarf:

Babu

Post by Babu »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Brightonnxtround wrote:Just bought a book called A is for arsenic (seems appropriate in our current plight )
Try some A is for Absinthe,it has not got the same whiff of finality about it. :barscarf:
I'm going to go with some A is for Acid.

And when I come back down it might all have been a bad trip. :whee:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Slightly off topic but my daughter is going to University this summer to do Law and American Studies and i'd like to get her a book with a basic history of America and it's politics does anyone have any recommendations? :rubchin:

Cheers Muzz

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

GoonerMuzz wrote:Slightly off topic but my daughter is going to University this summer to do Law and American Studies and i'd like to get her a book with a basic history of America and it's politics does anyone have any recommendations? :rubchin:

Cheers Muzz
Try this muzz A concise history of United States of America
By Susan Mary grant should do the trick Waterstones :barscarf: :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Not only that but it makes the heart grow fonder too.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Have you been out with a woman with a lisp as well? :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Rugby Gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm
StuartL wrote:
Rugby Gooner wrote:
Have you been out with a woman with a lisp as well? :D
Parthun ? :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Not a book, but used to love reading this when I was a kid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-41419268

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Desperately trying to rekindle my love of The Arsenal at the moment so reading John Spurling's "Highbury - The story of Arsenal in N5". Really enjoying it. Some great old tales and stories from players and fans etc. 8)

Makes me sad though to think of what we gave up. The old girl was beautiful, truly beautiful, unlike any other stadium in the entire world. :|

Fuck the Conglomerates Lego Bowl. :censored:

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Just finished ‘The Outsider’ by Stephen King. Recommended, and if you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy, you’re in for a treat.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm
Just finished ‘The Outsider’ by Stephen King. Recommended, and if you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy, you’re in for a treat.
Been a King fan since I read The Stand as a teenager and have read almost everything he's written, but haven't yet tried the Mr Mercedes trilogy. Recommended? Been debating trying them for a while now but reading mixed reviews, some saying they are just King paying lip service to the pulp detective novels of his teen years.

Sad fucker that I am I've actually read the full extended version of The Stand 3 times over the years and loved it each time. :lol: Still his best work for me. 8)

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 am
goonertux wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm
Been a King fan since I read The Stand as a teenager and have read almost everything he's written, but haven't yet tried the Mr Mercedes trilogy. Recommended? Been debating trying them for a while now but reading mixed reviews, some saying they are just King paying lip service to the pulp detective novels of his teen years.

Sad fucker that I am I've actually read the full extended version of The Stand 3 times over the years and loved it each time. :lol: Still his best work for me. 8)
Go for it DB. 3 great books in my opinion. First and third are the best. Crime, history and supernatural threads combined. Read these before The Outsider for reasons that will become clear as you go.