THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: THE GOONERSID BOOK THREAD

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 am
goonertux wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 pm
Just finished ‘The Outsider’ by Stephen King. Recommended, and if you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy, you’re in for a treat.
Been a King fan since I read The Stand as a teenager and have read almost everything he's written, but haven't yet tried the Mr Mercedes trilogy. Recommended? Been debating trying them for a while now but reading mixed reviews, some saying they are just King paying lip service to the pulp detective novels of his teen years.

Sad fucker that I am I've actually read the full extended version of The Stand 3 times over the years and loved it each time. :lol: Still his best work for me. 8)
Go for it DB. 3 great books in my opinion. First and third are the best. Crime, history and supernatural threads combined. Read these before The Outsider for reasons that will become clear as you go.
Cheers mate. Will do. 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonertux wrote:
Just finished ‘The Outsider’ by Stephen King. Recommended, and if you liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy, you’re in for a treat.
Been a King fan since I read The Stand as a teenager and have read almost everything he's written, but haven't yet tried the Mr Mercedes trilogy. Recommended? Been debating trying them for a while now but reading mixed reviews, some saying they are just King paying lip service to the pulp detective novels of his teen years.

Sad fucker that I am I've actually read the full extended version of The Stand 3 times over the years and loved it each time. :lol: Still his best work for me. 8)
Go for it DB. 3 great books in my opinion. First and third are the best. Crime, history and supernatural threads combined. Read these before The Outsider for reasons that will become clear as you go.
About halfway through reading Mr Mercedes and really enjoying it. Brilliantly written characters and a real dark underbelly to the tale. Just ordered the next 2 in the trilogy and The Outsider too on Amazon. Great recommendation Goonertux - cheers mate. 8)

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Just finished Roger Daltreys new Autobiography. Big fan of The ‘orrible Who, but you don’t have to be to enjoy the story of the band. How they’re both still going is unbelievable, when you discover everything they went through. Worth a read.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonertux wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:28 pm
Just finished Roger Daltreys new Autobiography. Big fan of The ‘orrible Who, but you don’t have to be to enjoy the story of the band. How they’re both still going is unbelievable, when you discover everything they went through. Worth a read.
Loved the Who - even when they flirted with the silly mod shit. One of the greatest rock bands of all time. 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 am
goonertux wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonertux wrote:

About halfway through reading Mr Mercedes and really enjoying it. Brilliantly written characters and a real dark underbelly to the tale. Just ordered the next 2 in the trilogy and The Outsider too on Amazon. Great recommendation Goonertux - cheers mate. 8)
I made the mistake of reading The Outsider first, halfway through I realised it was a spinoff to a trilogy so there were a few spoilers for me.

The first few chapthers of The Outsiders are amazing.

I have read the mercedes trilogy since and still really enjoyed it, Stephen King is a cracking author. Pet Semetary is just amazing, haven't seen the movie yet but from watching the trailer it looks like they have strayed a little from the source material.

Just started reading Needful Things, good so far.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Just read the Ant Middleton (SAS/ SBS) book First Man In - a load of *****. :(

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
goonertux wrote:

The Stand is one of my favourite ever books (also an enjoyable tv series). it started my interest in Stephen king, and I read quite a few after that including those penned under Robert Bachman. although most of the film's were straight to television, I've always been fond of them; children of the corn, IT, tommyknockers, maximum overdrive... list goes on and on....

and how not to love "different seasons", the short stories book that gave us the excellent stand by me and shawshank redemption!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:23 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
goonertux wrote:

The Stand is one of my favourite ever books (also an enjoyable tv series). it started my interest in Stephen king, and I read quite a few after that including those penned under Robert Bachman. although most of the film's were straight to television, I've always been fond of them; children of the corn, IT, tommyknockers, maximum overdrive... list goes on and on....

and how not to love "different seasons", the short stories book that gave us the excellent stand by me and shawshank redemption!
And as great as those movies were they were still nowhere near as great as those stories he wrote. Storytelling at its greatest.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:35 am
Just read the Ant Middleton (SAS/ SBS) book First Man In - a load of *****. :(
What, just not the same without Dec ?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:shock:

:hmmthink:

:mrgnu:

:goingtobed:

Herd

Post by Herd »

My favourite author is john Irving, I'm currently reading a son of the circus which is one of the few I haven't read. His books are full of the mystery of the human condition. Happy and sad ridiculous and profound . My favourite is Garp.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Halfway through reading "I heard you paint houses" by Charles Brandt (filmed as "The Irishman" by Scorsese).

Brilliant read and brilliantly written. Highly recommended. 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Not read a book in ages, made it about a third of the way through Wrighty's a few years ago when on hols.
My sister bought me "Rory Gallagher" "the man behind the guitar" for my birthday last week, have read through the intro and going to make a point of reading it on hols this summer.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just finishing up "Last of the Giants - The True Story of Guns n Roses" by ex-Kerrang writer Mick Wall.

It's a brilliant read. And Mick is a brilliant writer. He captures the excess, the madness, and the feel of the 80's LA metal scene perfectly.

There's also some eye opening behind the scenes info that is not well known - things like the real reason Axl Rose hates Steven Adler (he believes Adler OD'd and raped Axl's then wife Erin Everly). :shock:

One thing that really comes through is that Axl Rose is even more fucked up than most people think and has suffered from severe anxiety attacks throughout his life.

Also, Mick Jagger comes across as a bit of a cùnt. :lol:

Overall a great read, like most of Mick Wall's books.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 am
Just finishing up "Last of the Giants - The True Story of Guns n Roses" by ex-Kerrang writer Mick Wall.

It's a brilliant read. And Mick is a brilliant writer. He captures the excess, the madness, and the feel of the 80's LA metal scene perfectly.

There's also some eye opening behind the scenes info that is not well known - things like the real reason Axl Rose hates Steven Adler (he believes Adler OD'd and raped Axl's then wife Erin Everly). :shock:

One thing that really comes through is that Axl Rose is even more fucked up than most people think and has suffered from severe anxiety attacks throughout his life.

Also, Mick Jagger comes across as a bit of a cùnt. :lol:

Overall a great read, like most of Mick Wall's books.
Probably should have put this on the music thread.
No doubt Guns n Roses, were probably the last great Rock / Metal band.
I always regarded them as something of a "one album wonder" Appetite for Destruction is a classic album, but they never came close to making anything close to it again.
Same can't be said when talking about the true greats like Sabbath, Led Zep (although i'm not a Zep fan) AC/DC (Bon Scott era) Pink Floyd and even Thin Lizzy.
I've always been dubious on American Rock / Metal bands, they never had the raw feeling, that British bands had.
It was all too commercial and "video" orientated.
Just my view, I'm sure you're going to go through scathing criticism :lol: :wink: