THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
GoonerMuzz

Re: THE NORTHBANKBREN TV SHOW THREAD

Post by GoonerMuzz »

A bit different but during lockdown due to boredom I've been watching a program called Abandoned Engineering on Yesterday, lots of episodes out there but I find it really interesting how things were built back in the day especially without PCs and CAD and how some have stood the test of time and other definitely haven't.

A lot of the early episodes cover military stuff but as seasons go on there are more and more civilian engineering feats, some of the stories behind the triumphs and tragedies are quite interesting they usually cover 4 different constructions per episode, as diverse as an old Nazi torpedo test facility in the Baltic to the original railway bridges built from mainland Florida into the Quays or a damn built in France which collapsed and flooded the towns on the plains below due to an Engineering miscalculation.... fairly sure they used Irish Navvies on that one, eh DB10.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

And there was me thinking we homosapiens took to standing so we could play footie ! :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... who-we-are

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 am
A bit different but during lockdown due to boredom I've been watching a program called Abandoned Engineering on Yesterday, lots of episodes out there but I find it really interesting how things were built back in the day especially without PCs and CAD and how some have stood the test of time and other definitely haven't.

A lot of the early episodes cover military stuff but as seasons go on there are more and more civilian engineering feats, some of the stories behind the triumphs and tragedies are quite interesting they usually cover 4 different constructions per episode, as diverse as an old Nazi torpedo test facility in the Baltic to the original railway bridges built from mainland Florida into the Quays or a damn built in France which collapsed and flooded the towns on the plains below due to an Engineering miscalculation.... fairly sure they used Irish Navvies on that one, eh DB10.
Ah you like the dumbed down documentaries I see..... :lol:

Honestly though I hate that new style of personality-led documentary. Just sit a heap of nobody writers and 2nd rate university lecturers in front of a camera to read some inane bland dialogue whilst overacting the drama of it..... :roll:

Midz

Post by Midz »

The Boys -

Superheroes are often as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians, and sometimes even as revered as gods. But that's when they're using their powers for good. What happens when the heroes go rogue and start abusing their powers? When it's the powerless against the super powerful, the Boys head out on a heroic quest to expose the truth about the Seven and Vought, the multibillion-dollar conglomerate that manages the superheroes and covers up their dirty secrets. Based on the comic book series of the same name.

Anyone watched this?

I've just finished season 2.
You never know what to expect in this show. Many laugh out loud moments combined with some quite shocking scenes.
Hope they do another series.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

There's a Very Good programme on BBCiPlayer (Documentaries) at the moment called "The Two Escobars" (Not only does it tell the story of how the Cartel's bought and used their chosen/owned football teams to try and out-do one another, but how the Drug Wars between the Cartels (medillen and Cali) we responsible for the rise and fall of Columbia as a Footballing nation and sadly the Murder of Andre's Escobar following his own goal when Columbia played the USA in the opening round/s of the World Cup.

HUGELY Watchful and Informative.

Highly Recommended 8)

Usually I would post a link, but something is up with my Cut N Paste :? :banghead:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Recently watched on bbc catch-up a series called “life” - it looks at the characters lives, they all have some kind of drama / trauma going on to deal with (as we all do at some point) they live in apartments in the same building.

Good if you enjoy people watching / psychology aspect - love, life, marriage, death affects us all.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:08 pm
Recently watched on bbc catch-up a series called “life” - it looks at the characters lives, they all have some kind of drama / trauma going on to deal with (as we all do at some point) they live in apartments in the same building.

Good if you enjoy people watching / psychology aspect - love, life, marriage, death affects us all.

Just finished watching a 7 episode (one off) series on Netflix called "Queen's Gambit" - About a girl who plays chess... Seriously Excellent! Best thing on Netflix since Ozark. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This might be worth keeping an eye out for when it is broadcast by BBC - Iam Wright presenting/talking.

vhttps://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2020/bbc-one- ... ome-truths

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:57 pm
StuartL wrote:

Just finished watching a 7 episode (one off) series on Netflix called "Queen's Gambit" - About a girl who plays chess... Seriously Excellent! Best thing on Netflix since Ozark. 8)
You only like it cos she is a red head 👩🏼‍🦰❤️

I’ve noticed your penchant, for redheads, tartan skirts, school girls, teachers, suspenders. Brunettes 👩🏻‍⚕️boobs, bums, blondes 👱‍♀️ (Have I missed anything out ? )

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:04 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:57 pm
StuartL wrote:

You only like it cos she is a red head 👩🏼‍🦰❤️

I’ve noticed your penchant, for redheads, tartan skirts, school girls, teachers, suspenders. Brunettes 👩🏻‍⚕️boobs, bums, blondes 👱‍♀️ (Have I missed anything out ? )
Only that they are ALL Female mate! :D :wink:

Although I do like a redhead - Brunette's are my fave :-P :-P :-P

And The Queens Gambit is "Excellent" Give it a gander mate.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Midz wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:19 pm
The Boys -

Superheroes are often as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians, and sometimes even as revered as gods. But that's when they're using their powers for good. What happens when the heroes go rogue and start abusing their powers? When it's the powerless against the super powerful, the Boys head out on a heroic quest to expose the truth about the Seven and Vought, the multibillion-dollar conglomerate that manages the superheroes and covers up their dirty secrets. Based on the comic book series of the same name.

Anyone watched this?

You never know what to expect in this show. Many laugh out loud moments combined with some quite shocking scenes.
Yeah - it is a good satirical series, I thought. You could always view the superheroes as caricatures for governmental foreign policy and the way that things are approached in big business as well. Definitely worth a watch.

On the other hands, I watched series 1 of a show about androids called 'Humans' and it started really well and devolved into a stupid drama with big 'twists' that could be seen a mile off.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

begeegs wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:59 am
Midz wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:19 pm
The Boys -

Anyone watched this?

Yeah - it is a good satirical series, I thought. You could always view the superheroes as caricatures for governmental foreign policy and the way that things are approached in big business as well. Definitely worth a watch.

On the other hands, I watched series 1 of a show about androids called 'Humans' and it started really well and devolved into a stupid drama with big 'twists' that could be seen a mile off.
You won't like "Raised By Wolves" then. Started off kinda intriguing with a quite well portrayed cataclysmic war destroying the human race and then nicely built up a sense of mystery and trepidation about the new planet the few survivors end up on.... only to go into complete fucking stupid nonsense mode in the last couple of episodes with pregnant androids giving birth to giant flying eels through their fucking mouths! :lol: :roll: :oops:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

They have some excellent programmes, series, films on Netflix, but there's something new Called "FATE" The Winx Sga's (?) - Said to be inspired by J.K Rowlings Harry Potter books/films.

WHAT A LOAD OF UTTER SHYTEPUKEBOLLOX - Seriously BAD! You could tell 5 - 10 minutes in how AWFUL it is. I've seen better acting from my 7 yr old grandson as a shepherd in the Christmas Nativity play at his school. :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just watched The Night Stalker on Netflix. Brilliantly made documentary. Unmissable. Watch it. 8)

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Lupin on Netflix. Couple of episodes in and pretty good so far. Only downside is the awful dubbing. Anyone else seen it?