Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:i play guitar for 15 years now (more than half of my life then), but i'm not good enough considering all those years as i don't practice as I should. played guitar, bass, drums and sang on quite a few local bands (varying from reggae to heavy metal, going through blues, surf music and even brit pop). my favourite are alternative rock bands from the 90's like the pixies, rocket from the crypt, pavement, braid, smashing pumpkins, etc. lately i've been mostly playing reggae and ska.

i own a gibson les paul studio (with the gothic finishing), a squire jazz bass, a couple of acoustic guitars and some more stuff. i record a lot at home (using cubase), mostly rock'n'roll, ska, reggae and punk rock. my amp was a marshall jcm900 with a marshall 4x12 but i had to sell it to help gather money to buy my apartment. one of the toughest moments of my life was when the lad came to my place and took my jcm away :cry:

photography, arsenal, music, tits and friends are what make brazilianGOONER breathe 8) :barscarf:
I've been recording alot recently too. All instrumental stuff. Have Adobe Audition 3 and Cubase. I also am running everything through Guitar Rig 4 and it kicks ass.
really mate? do you record the bass with it as well? how does it sound?

since i sold my JCM i never got really good guitar sounds, right now i'm using sometimes my behringer v-amp and sometimes i borrow a mate's line6 POD which is a bit better.

however neither sound anywhere near the real deal imo... :?

what do you use for drums? i've been using easydrummer with a few extra drumkits and i'm quite delighted with the result :barscarf:
Yep, there are quite good bass sounds on there too.

I've experimented alot with mic and amp settings too. Had a Marshall mosfet reverb 100w (my old gigging amp) open mic'd but it was too fucking loud for home recording. Sold it (gigging days are over) and bought a Crate 20. I run my GTR into a pre amp and then into Guitar Rig 4 on my PC and then run it out to the Crate amp. Great sounds.

For drums I've been messing about with a Dr Rhythm drum machine. It's ok but not a patch on live drums. Although I do like being able to write my own drum patterns.

Your Guitar sound is dictated alot by your pick-ups too, BG. If your pick-ups are shit then no matter what you run it will sound poor.

I highly recommend GR4 though. The range of tones and sounds is immense and you can set up your own amp/head combos and FX really quickly and easily (drag and drop).

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

REBEL GOONER wrote:why is it a sticky :?:

already a music thread :shock:
Other thread is other people's music. This one is our music.

Goatfiddler.

:lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:... would love to be able to play like John Martyn (with FX echoe chamber/s etc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-6cM1Np3jw

Love that sound - what a guitarist he was :barscarf:
Nice One flash...That took me back.....wheeeew!...another victim of the Rock n Roll machine......I once saw him do a solo acoustic gig back in 1973 - he had just returned from the states supporting Yes at Madison Square Gardens (on their Topographic Tour)....he was playing mostly songs from Bless The Weather and Solid Air...it was in a gymnasium only about 200 people...all sat on the floor...and it was "Magical"..him, his guitar and fx unit/s..... 8) :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:i play guitar for 15 years now (more than half of my life then), but i'm not good enough considering all those years as i don't practice as I should. played guitar, bass, drums and sang on quite a few local bands (varying from reggae to heavy metal, going through blues, surf music and even brit pop). my favourite are alternative rock bands from the 90's like the pixies, rocket from the crypt, pavement, braid, smashing pumpkins, etc. lately i've been mostly playing reggae and ska.

i own a gibson les paul studio (with the gothic finishing), a squire jazz bass, a couple of acoustic guitars and some more stuff. i record a lot at home (using cubase), mostly rock'n'roll, ska, reggae and punk rock. my amp was a marshall jcm900 with a marshall 4x12 but i had to sell it to help gather money to buy my apartment. one of the toughest moments of my life was when the lad came to my place and took my jcm away :cry:

photography, arsenal, music, tits and friends are what make brazilianGOONER breathe 8) :barscarf:
I've been recording alot recently too. All instrumental stuff. Have Adobe Audition 3 and Cubase. I also am running everything through Guitar Rig 4 and it kicks ass.

since i sold my JCM i never got really good guitar sounds, right now i'm using sometimes my behringer v-amp and sometimes i borrow a mate's line6 POD which is a bit better.

what do you use for drums? i've been using easydrummer with a few extra drumkits and i'm quite delighted with the result :barscarf:

I've experimented alot with mic and amp settings too. Had a Marshall mosfet reverb 100w (my old gigging amp) open mic'd but it was too fucking loud for home recording. Sold it (gigging days are over) and bought a Crate 20. I run my GTR into a pre amp and then into Guitar Rig 4 on my PC and then run it out to the Crate amp. Great sounds.

For drums I've been messing about with a Dr Rhythm drum machine. It's ok but not a patch on live drums. Although I do like being able to write my own drum patterns.

Your Guitar sound is dictated alot by your pick-ups too, BG. If your pick-ups are shit then no matter what you run it will sound poor.

I highly recommend GR4 though. The range of tones and sounds is immense and you can set up your own amp/head combos and FX really quickly and easily (drag and drop).
You guys seem to know loads about all the gadgetry etc,,,,

I'm a something of a technophobe & not too up on all the technical stuff...there's just so much out there...But could you recommend a decent pick-up for my acoustic?...also I recently inherited a Roland Boss GT-10 Fx unit (a mate owed me money and so gave me that in part-payment)...it's in excellent nick - still in box - no marks/scratches etc...all I have to do is figure out how to use the fecker...it seems designed more for electric / heavy guitar (fx)...but i was hoping to be able to use it with my Avalon 6 string...it has Loop/Phlanger/Delay etc

:?:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE

Mr Kelly on banjo :lol:

Actually a great piece of music. Most of it played on only two strings. One of the few pieces I can play on my old Tanglewood acoustic. I left it too late to be any good at it. But it's nice to be able to knock out a tune of any sort. Whether you're good or not. Everyone should have a bash at it. :D
not many things on earth (other than an arsenal goal) cheer me more than a good old rogering up my bum 8)
:shock: :shock: :shock:

KingJayson Alert!!!!!! :moderator: :gayflag: :moderator: :gayflag: :moderator: :wink:
i don't really know what 'rogering up' really stands for but it sounds like something i wouldn't really like to do with my bum, thank you mate :lol:
I'm sure some of your Tennis Clique chums will be happy to demonstrate next time you're over mate! :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnFvEQYJPU

this is the most inspiring solo acoustic guitar song i've ever listened to. gives me goosebumps everytime i hear it. absolutely genius (i must say i know little of the band though)

listen till the end, it's worth it. 8)
Awesome BG ..........players/musicians like that seem to be 'One With their Instrument'...a bit like this guy Andy McKee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

or Michael Hedges (sadly R.I.P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3439l4 ... re=related

Enjoy! :D 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Sorry forgot one of my faves: :oops: :oops:

Don ross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7wagf26gJ4

:dance: 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'm a something of a technophobe & not too up on all the technical stuff...there's just so much out there...But could you recommend a decent pick-up for my acoustic?...also I recently inherited a Roland Boss GT-10 Fx unit (a mate owed me money and so gave me that in part-payment)...it's in excellent nick - still in box - no marks/scratches etc...all I have to do is figure out how to use the fecker...it seems designed more for electric / heavy guitar (fx)...but i was hoping to be able to use it with my Avalon 6 string...it has Loop/Phlanger/Delay etc

With pick-ups it really depends what you want to spend and how good a sound you want. There are loads on the market. Best bet is to ask in a good guitar shop (most will give you sound advise as they are usually musicians themselves).

The Boss FX unit will have loads of good sounds for an acoustic. I have the BOSS ME8 at home (don't use it since I got GR4) and it has beautiful Chorus, Phase, Flange and Delay on it.

Best thing is to just plug in and experiment.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: I've been recording alot recently too. All instrumental stuff. Have Adobe Audition 3 and Cubase. I also am running everything through Guitar Rig 4 and it kicks ass.

With pick-ups it really depends what you want to spend and how good a sound you want. There are loads on the market. Best bet is to ask in a good guitar shop (most will give you sound advise as they are usually musicians themselves).

The Boss FX unit will have loads of good sounds for an acoustic. I have the BOSS ME8 at home (don't use it since I got GR4) and it has beautiful Chorus, Phase, Flange and Delay on it.

Best thing is to just plug in and experiment.
will do, and let you know how it goes....

(Acoustic) KERRRRRRRRRRAAAANNNGGGG! :wink: :D

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

they are the original gibson pickups that came with the guitar db10, but they sounded awesome in many of the amps and effects i've used it through, so i think it's not the case.

will download GR4 to see how i work with it. i tried amplitube in the past but didn't really like the results, so i still use the v-amp and the L6 pod.

good times when i could own a 100W RMS marshall and crank up the volume 'back to the future' style... 8) :cry:

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

A midget rock band...

:lol:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnFvEQYJPU

this is the most inspiring solo acoustic guitar song i've ever listened to. gives me goosebumps everytime i hear it. absolutely genius (i must say i know little of the band though)

listen till the end, it's worth it. 8)
Awesome BG ..........players/musicians like that seem to be 'One With their Instrument'...a bit like this guy Andy McKee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

or Michael Hedges (sadly R.I.P)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3439l4 ... re=related

Enjoy! :D 8)
andy mckee is a fecking genius, obg! like him a lot.

cheers mate! :barscarf:

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Guitarists are *word censored* who probably fuck the family pets!

Or eat them.

Either way you are noisy *word censored* and as none of you are in a band any of us have heard of you are also useless, talentless *word censored* wasting your time doing something you are not very good at!

8)
Last edited by Percy Dalton on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

marcengels wrote:A midget rock band...

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hasnt Wayno got an amp he bought off of eBay? Just forgot to buy the guitar if i remember rightly :D

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Do you all run around screaming "Wayne's world, Wayne's world, party time, excellent"?

:roll: