Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:Being a guitar player (even though im appalling) when i saw this thread i thought it was a good subject but its turned into a load of tech-speak gobble-dee-gook (sp :wink: ) :roll: :banghead:

:wink:
Yeah let's keep this simple flash. So how many strings has your guitar got (at present)?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote: I've had a look on the internet (pick-ups) I think I prefer to pay once for quality rather than buy cheap buy twice/three times etc....Need to actually try some out..........
what do you intend do to with the pickups, mate? because let me tell you, if you intend to do some recording, then forget about pickups and buy a decent microphone and a mic pre-amp.

you can buy the best pickup in the world - nothing will capture the sound of an acoustic guitar more beautifully than a good mic pointing to the hole in the body or to the 12th fret... or in both... anyway, micing a guitar is the way to go for sound quality.

but if you are worried about simply amplifying the sound to play live or something like that, than you can forget everything i just said :lol: :lol: :wink:
Thanks for that Bg...it is Very Helpful....

I was wanting to buy a pick-up for my acoustic, so I can simply amplify it - but my acoustic is a very decent make - so want to get the best (pick-up) I can afford.....put it through the Boss GT-10 - and the small Orange Crush spkr/amp combo (only 10 watts :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ) - I've got a mic, but it isn't a condenser mic which I understand are best for recording (?)

btw: does anyone know if the 'Garage' software on Apple computers is any good for recording stuff?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Being a guitar player (even though im appalling) when i saw this thread i thought it was a good subject but its turned into a load of tech-speak gobble-dee-gook (sp :wink: ) :roll: :banghead:

Yeah let's keep this simple flash. So how many strings has your guitar got (at present)?
6 i think ill have a count up when i get home :wink: :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Which mod crunt unsticked this thread again? :evil: :evil: DB10 is going to be well vex!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote: I've had a look on the internet (pick-ups) I think I prefer to pay once for quality rather than buy cheap buy twice/three times etc....Need to actually try some out..........
what do you intend do to with the pickups, mate? because let me tell you, if you intend to do some recording, then forget about pickups and buy a decent microphone and a mic pre-amp.

you can buy the best pickup in the world - nothing will capture the sound of an acoustic guitar more beautifully than a good mic pointing to the hole in the body or to the 12th fret... or in both... anyway, micing a guitar is the way to go for sound quality.

but if you are worried about simply amplifying the sound to play live or something like that, than you can forget everything i just said :lol: :lol: :wink:

I was wanting to buy a pick-up for my acoustic, so I can simply amplify it - but my acoustic is a very decent make - so want to get the best (pick-up) I can afford.....put it through the Boss GT-10 - and the small Orange Crush spkr/amp combo (only 10 watts :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ) - I've got a mic, but it isn't a condenser mic which I understand are best for recording (?)

btw: does anyone know if the 'Garage' software on Apple computers is any good for recording stuff?
do you mean garage band, mate? if it's it, it's a very good software for beginners in the world of recording. you can actually write a song and record it without having to play any instruments - it has loooots of samples for different styles. it's very useful for example if you can't play the bass or the drums and want to record a song with the whole band, without actually having any band. :lol:

about what type of mic, different people will give you different answers. it took me a while before i bought my first condenser mic because they are a lot more expensive, so i used a Shure SM57 and a SM58 i have which are excellent mics for vocals in a gig but also very good for recording some parts of the drums, the amplifier in your guitar and also your acoustic guitar (directly). i used to aim the SM57 to the 12th fret half a meter away from the guitar and the SM58 pointing to the hole in the guitar body from around the same distance. it still works a lot better than pickups. of course, if you can buy a simple condenser, all the better.

and a tip that helps a lot, regardless of the way you capture the sound: if you're recording with your acoustic guitar (works as well with an electric guitar), try recording it four times over (try with 2, 6 and 8 as well), and then pan two of them to the right speaker and the other two to the left speaker. it will feel like a natural chorus, and the sound will be very professional-like 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

6 i think ill have a count up when i get home :wink: :lol:

:D :D :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:

do you mean garage band, mate? if it's it, it's a very good software for beginners in the world of recording. you can actually write a song and record it without having to play any instruments - it has loooots of samples for different styles. it's very useful for example if you can't play the bass or the drums and want to record a song with the whole band, without actually having any band. :lol:

about what type of mic, different people will give you different answers. it took me a while before i bought my first condenser mic because they are a lot more expensive, so i used a Shure SM57 and a SM58 i have which are excellent mics for vocals in a gig but also very good for recording some parts of the drums, the amplifier in your guitar and also your acoustic guitar (directly). i used to aim the SM57 to the 12th fret half a meter away from the guitar and the SM58 pointing to the hole in the guitar body from around the same distance. it still works a lot better than pickups. of course, if you can buy a simple condenser, all the better.

and a tip that helps a lot, regardless of the way you capture the sound: if you're recording with your acoustic guitar (works as well with an electric guitar), try recording it four times over (try with 2, 6 and 8 as well), and then pan two of them to the right speaker and the other two to the left speaker. it will feel like a natural chorus, and the sound will be very professional-like 8)
Ooooh! sounds well cool mate - Thanks.

I'd love to own one of them sampler's - where you can record a sound and then play it through a keyboard...I remember Peter Gabriel - this is Yonks ago (20 yrs at least - probably longer :oops: :oops: :oops: ) he did a South Bank Show special...when Sampling was in it's early stages....and he was sampling everyday sounds and putting them through a keyboard so each note was a note of the sound (only unique)....He used a lot of sampling on his third album especially... 8)

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Anyone better than him?

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

unstickied

:barscarf: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I Hate Hleb wrote:Which mod crunt unsticked this thread again? :evil: :evil: DB10 is going to be well vex!! :lol: :lol: :wink:
:evil:

The same mod crunt that's going to go "missing" and be found "hurt" in a field. With no head. And many many wounds.

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

:cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

marcengels wrote::cry:
haha you fucking POG. :lol: :wink:

marcengels

Post by marcengels »

:shock:

DB10GOONER