Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: I’m modifying/upgrading and repainting/carving 4 different guitars at the mo;

1. An Epiphone II LP copy that’s getting skulls carved all over it.
2. A BC Rich Warlock that is getting re-carved into more “sinister” lines.
3. A stock (unknown manufacturer) shark’s fin Flying V that’s getting skulls painted all over it.
4. And my Kramanez bad boy.

:barscarf:
fucking hell db10 that's awesome. :barscarf: it's like you're one of those metal players from the eighties, i wonder if you hace that 'twisted sister' look :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

seriously, great gear mate. what type of metal do you play, or is it more rock'n'roll?
:lol:

Twisted Sister – loved them when I was a kid! :barscarf:

I play a good range of stuff (been in Maiden-style metal bands and a kind of grunge-style band at one stage too) but I mostly play technical neo-classical stuff. I remember the first time I finally got the sweep picking thing down tight. I just sat there all day sweep picking scale after scale! :oops: :lol:

I’m heavily influenced by Randy Rhoads and George Lynch as well as Richie Blackmore. Just love guitar and most guitar music really. Just love playing, mate. Did you check out George Lynch yet BG? Amazingly fluid and melodic player.

You’re right; I’m probably a bit more into the 80’s metal guitar thing than the modern Drop D, 7 string stuff or the Vai/Satriani thing – although I do like some of their stuff too. But also love the straight out balls rock stuff like AC/DC.

Strangely, even though I don’t play it, I just fucking LOVE Ska music too. Early Madness (before they became a pop band) The Specials and The Selector. 8)
very good stuff mate. i'm into classic rock'n'roll like ac/dc but in the last few years i've been listening to a lot of ska as well, some great stuff like toots and the maytals, hepcat, the specials, early 'the wailers' and etc out there. and ska does something that i don't feel with any other style of music - it makes you draw a smile no matter what the fuck is going around. 8)

anyway i've been playing since i was a kid, but never gave enough effort to become very good at it - funny how it does not matter for how long you play, to become good you really have to put some good hours working on your technique. anyway since i played mostly alternative rock stuff like The Pixies for most of my life, technique was never that necessary anyway :lol:

didn't know george lynch, so listened to some stuff on youtube a few minutes back. top class, incredible technique :barscarf:
Loved the Pixies too, mate. Not technical players, but sometimes it's just good to turn the fucker up and smash out a few powerchords! 8)

I also love listening to the guitar playing on The Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks album on headphones. There are multitracked melody and harmony parts in there you don't really hear without phones, which is why when you hear a one guitar band cover them they sound thinny and a bit wrong! The playing on NMTB was surprisingly quite good tbh.

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote: Loved the Pixies too, mate. Not technical players, but sometimes it's just good to turn the fucker up and smash out a few powerchords! 8)

I also love listening to the guitar playing on The Sex Pistols' Never Mind The Bollocks album on headphones. There are multitracked melody and harmony parts in there you don't really hear without phones, which is why when you hear a one guitar band cover them they sound thinny and a bit wrong! The playing on NMTB was surprisingly quite good tbh.
true, i have a shit stereo i use as 'monitors' for some home recording but bought a nice akg headphone and when i want to hear some good stuff i end up with the headphones, incredibly flat response and you always end up hearing a lot more. "the dark side of the moon" on the headphones always cheers me up :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Loved the Pixies too, mate. Not technical players, but sometimes it's just good to turn the fucker up and smash out a few powerchords! 8)

true, i have a shit stereo i use as 'monitors' for some home recording but bought a nice akg headphone and when i want to hear some good stuff i end up with the headphones, incredibly flat response and you always end up hearing a lot more. "the dark side of the moon" on the headphones always cheers me up :barscarf:
you mean that and the tab of acid you drop! :roll: :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I thought my calluses were painful...but this!???? :shock:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... g&dur=6861

One thing I've found since developing (proper) calluses is when typing the PC keyboard now, the sensitivity in the finger tips is a lot less and yet playing guitar it's still there :? :rubchin:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

acoustic guitars - loads of Martins etc...Great songs...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... y_Feeling/

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Ive got an acoustic guitar and have taught myself to play a few songs but reading you blokes talking about different ways of tuning and all tech stuff makes me realise how little i actually know :?
As OneBard says, Flash - it's more important that you enjoy what you do. I was a huge fan of EVH and Randy Rhoads so I spent years (and it does take years of solid practice every day) getting my playing up to that standard. Because that's what I enjoy. But that's not for everyone.
So what kind of things did you practise / play DB?...the problem I have is that I often don't know where to start as in 'waht chords, what he (the guitarist) is actually doing to achieve a sound/effect etc...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Ive got an acoustic guitar and have taught myself to play a few songs but reading you blokes talking about different ways of tuning and all tech stuff makes me realise how little i actually know :?
As OneBard says, Flash - it's more important that you enjoy what you do. I was a huge fan of EVH and Randy Rhoads so I spent years (and it does take years of solid practice every day) getting my playing up to that standard. Because that's what I enjoy. But that's not for everyone.
So what kind of things did you practise / play DB?...the problem I have is that I often don't know where to start as in 'waht chords, what he (the guitarist) is actually doing to achieve a sound/effect etc...
I sat down with the Blizzard of Ozz album and spent weeks learning every single note Randy Rhoads played on it - by ear. It was tough. Just figuring out the scales and modes was exhausting. Now days you can download guitar tabs with all the notes drawn in on a figure of a guitar neck and it's piss easy to learn the scales notes used. I recommend tabs, dude. Wish they were easy to get 30 years ago... :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
I sat down with the Blizzard of Ozz album and spent weeks learning every single note Randy Rhoads played on it - by ear. It was tough. Just figuring out the scales and modes was exhausting. Now days you can download guitar tabs with all the notes drawn in on a figure of a guitar neck and it's piss easy to learn the scales notes used. I recommend tabs, dude. Wish they were easy to get 30 years ago... :wink:
:shock: :shock: :shock: Feck! that's "Dedication" - one of the other things that does confound me - is when they use numerous FX and trying to worl out what is being used...I'm not a HUGE metal fan - But love heavy rock - one of my faces is V. Halen...just love the sound he gets...I did hear he wrecks a set of microphones every take - as they place the mics in the middle of 4 stacks and turn them up beyond spinal tap limit... :lol:

I will look into tabs for EVH though - Just love his work.

:cheers:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just watche the documentary "Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet".

http://www.jasonbeckermovie.com/

What an amazing film and what an amazing guy! 8)

Becker was destined to become the next big thing in guitar in the mid to late 1980's and after releasing 2 albums as part of guitar duo Cacophony (aged 17!!) then had a brief solo career before getting his "big break" and joining Dave Lee Roth's band. He recorded 1 album with Roth but was stricken with an aggressive form of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease, same as Stephen Hawking) at the age of 19 just towards the end of recording the album. Within a couple of years he was paralysed and hasn't played since.

I loved his playing, an amazing guitarist, that by the age of 18 was as good as Van Halen or Rhoads and better than Malmsteen or Vai or Satriani. He would have gone on to be recognised as the greatest ever in due course I think. But his destinty was stolen by that terrible disease.

He was originally given 5 years to live in 1989 but is still alive today thanks to his carers and family. This film is his story. It's a sad, uplifting, deppressing, tragic, awe-inspiring film all in one. Even if you aren't a guitar nut or shred-head, it's a brilliant film and will make you really think about the fragility of the human condition and appreciate what you have.

The clips of him clowning around with his uncle on guitars, just a goofy teenager having fun, so unaware of how his life will change in a couple of years, are particularly poignant and heart breaking.

Fantastic film. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Just watche the documentary "Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet".

Becker was destined to become the next big thing in guitar in the mid to late 1980's and after releasing 2 albums as part of guitar duo Cacophony (aged 17!!) then had a brief solo career before getting his "big break" and joining Dave Lee Roth's band. He recorded 1 album with Roth but was stricken with an aggressive form of ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease, same as Stephen Hawking) at the age of 19 just towards the end of recording the album. Within a couple of years he was paralysed and hasn't played since.

I loved his playing, an amazing guitarist, that by the age of 18 was as good as Van Halen or Rhoads and better than Malmsteen or Vai or Satriani. He would have gone on to be recognised as the greatest ever in due course I think. But his destinty was stolen by that terrible disease.

He was originally given 5 years to live in 1989 but is still alive today thanks to his carers and family. This film is his story. It's a sad, uplifting, deppressing, tragic, awe-inspiring film all in one. Even if you aren't a guitar nut or shred-head, it's a brilliant film and will make you really think about the fragility of the human condition and appreciate what you have.

The clips of him clowning around with his uncle on guitars, just a goofy teenager having fun, so unaware of how his life will change in a couple of years, are particularly poignant and heart breaking.

Fantastic film. 8)
I just watched the trailer DB...F*cking Sad and...well so terribly, terribly Wrong. I recall him briefly...As happened with Randy Rhoads there was a 'Buzz' about the new kid on the Guitar Hero Block...who was gonna take it up several notches and change it all etc...and then the buzz suddenly disappeared as quickly as it came....Now I know why. :cry:

It truly is such an evil disease...and yet he is still in there 'Fighting'.

It's stories like this that make me both Sad and Angry - Especially when there are so many scum lowlife *word censored* in the world - who do not deserve the breath they breathe. :cry: :banghead: :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Just watche the documentary "Jason Becker - Not Dead Yet".

Fantastic film. 8)
I just watched the trailer DB...F*cking Sad and...well so terribly, terribly Wrong. I recall him briefly...As happened with Randy Rhoads there was a 'Buzz' about the new kid on the Guitar Hero Block...who was gonna take it up several notches and change it all etc...and then the buzz suddenly disappeared as quickly as it came....Now I know why. :cry:

It truly is such an evil disease...and yet he is still in there 'Fighting'.

It's stories like this that make me both Sad and Angry - Especially when there are so many scum lowlife *word censored* in the world - who do not deserve the breath they breathe. :cry: :banghead: :cry:
Amen. I remember reading about some scumbag that won £11 million on your English Lottery. He had a huge track record of previous convictions and then blew the 11 mill on coke and drink. Fucking braindead scum like that live a full life and are lucky with it, and a talented decent guy like Jason Becker is paralysed at 19. Fucking makes you wonder, huh? :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkneiBJaCY 8)

edit: I'm playing a fender tele but as daft as it sounds this lesson really helps... :barscarf:

ps: we need a Head Banging emoticon...No! NOT the angry one we already have but a proper Metal Head Banging One!

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkneiBJaCY 8)

edit: I'm playing a fender tele but as daft as it sounds this lesson really helps... :barscarf:

ps: we need a Head Banging emoticon...No! NOT the angry one we already have but a proper Metal Head Banging One!

:rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »