Guitarist's Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: Guitarist's Thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:Really mate after the pm's earlier in the month? It seems all the fucking about has stopped from one direction only
I'll remove the piccy if you like sweetie pie :cheekkiss:

Personally I blame DB10 for stirring up all this shyte! :D :wink:

Talking of whom.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmudK8_gTCU

Can you play this DB??...I'm about to try (note the TRY) and learn it...my right hand finger picking is okay(ish)...but the chord changes are so much quicker than they appear (in the vid)... :oops: :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Really mate after the pm's earlier in the month? It seems all the fucking about has stopped from one direction only

Talking of whom.....

Can you play this DB??...I'm about to try (note the TRY) and learn it...my right hand finger picking is okay(ish)...but the chord changes are so much quicker than they appear (in the vid)... :oops: :banghead:
Don't know the song but it's not a very technical piece. The trick to improving your right hand finger-picking is to anchor your hand to the guitar body with your pinky. Note in the close ups of Howe picking out the arpeggiated chords his pinky is glued to the body. It's a simple trick but it improves your accuracy ands speed 100 fold.

Too many learning guitarists only concentrate on their left fretting hand. Getting your picking hand right is vital. Things like angle of attack, position over the strings etc are crucial. I'll have to video myself playing a classical piece I wrote and pop it on youtube - it demonstrates numerous right hand techniques. I'll let you know when I upload it.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Talking of whom.....

Don't know the song but it's not a very technical piece. The trick to improving your right hand finger-picking is to anchor your hand to the guitar body with your pinky. Note in the close ups of Howe picking out the arpeggiated chords his pinky is glued to the body. It's a simple trick but it improves your accuracy ands speed 100 fold.

Too many learning guitarists only concentrate on their left fretting hand. Getting your picking hand right is vital. Things like angle of attack, position over the strings etc are crucial. I'll have to video myself playing a classical piece I wrote and pop it on youtube - it demonstrates numerous right hand techniques. I'll let you know when I upload it.
My right hand picking is (in all honesty very good), but after I knocked of my bike 2 years ago by that twat who didn't stop - My left hand (Ring and Pinky Fingers were badly damaged) and so the joints suffer from swelling if I am not careful with diet etc...the beginnings of Arthritis in those finger joints.. :cry: :banghead: ..so I can only use the tip of my ring & pinky fingers...rather than barre with them...which is restrictive...But I see what you mean about keeping the pinky glued to the fretboard...

8) I look forward to that - your youtube vid...Maybe you could do a (proper) Acoustic Version of "Crazy Train" - unlike that bimbo lame efforts.. :rubchin: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

:-P :-P :-P

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

And one for DB :wink: 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:And one for DB :wink: 8)

:lol:

Not really to my taste though. I like superstrats (Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, Kramer) with two humbuckers and a single coil. 8)

Also like a decent Gibbo LP. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I'm surprised DB - When you spoke of the guitars you are building/re-shaping with skulls etc...

I must admit I know very little about techno stuff relating to pick-ups/Fx Pedals etc etc///If I hear something that I think - I can use - in my song writing - I'll get it - as and when I can afford it!

btw: what do you think of that guitar player doing all the different styles?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:I'm surprised DB - When you spoke of the guitars you are building/re-shaping with skulls etc...

I must admit I know very little about techno stuff relating to pick-ups/Fx Pedals etc etc///If I hear something that I think - I can use - in my song writing - I'll get it - as and when I can afford it!

btw: what do you think of that guitar player doing all the different styles?
Haven't seen it yet. Will have a look and get back to you.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I've wanted one of these for feckin' yonks, every time I get/got the money sorted - something always came up - car would blow a gasket, or some other bleedin thing! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvuiAobq2_Y

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote: Not really to my taste though. I like superstrats (Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, Kramer) with two humbuckers and a single coil. 8)

my honeybunny: (not my copy, but same model)

still has the original gibson pickups. actually i haven't changed a thing on it, it's beautiful as it is 8)

les pauls are a bit too heavy for my comfort (not forgetting i'm a midget), but i won't swap the sound of a les paul for any other guitar in this world :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The Superstrat I'm building will have an old 1980's style Kramer/Gibson Quad Rail humbucker in the bridge - basically 2 humbuckers welded together! :shock:

:barscarf: 8)

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:The Superstrat I'm building will have an old 1980's style Kramer/Gibson Quad Rail humbucker in the bridge - basically 2 humbuckers welded together! :shock:

i've seen one of those a lot of time ago. weird as fuck :lol: but it must be quite cool! how does it work? do you put a switch to choose which coils are active?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Not really to my taste though. I like superstrats (Jackson, Charvel, Ibanez, Kramer) with two humbuckers and a single coil. 8)

my honeybunny: (not my copy, but same model)

still has the original gibson pickups. actually i haven't changed a thing on it, it's beautiful as it is 8)

les pauls are a bit too heavy for my comfort (not forgetting i'm a midget), but i won't swap the sound of a les paul for any other guitar in this world :barscarf:
Hi BG! - I knew this was your guitar as soon as I saw the piccy - It doesn't have a Adams Apple! :D :wink:

Seriously though....It Looks a beauty mate! - Yeah I prefer the 'shape' of Gibsons than fenders - most of the time...But Love the EVH Fender...it ROCKS! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

brazilianGOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:The Superstrat I'm building will have an old 1980's style Kramer/Gibson Quad Rail humbucker in the bridge - basically 2 humbuckers welded together! :shock:

i've seen one of those a lot of time ago. weird as fuck :lol: but it must be quite cool! how does it work? do you put a switch to choose which coils are active?
Yeah you can coil tap it so you can play it as a very aggressive humbucker or split it into a series of single coil pups or two hummers. Not sure yet what way I'm gonna wire it - probably just one splitter so it can be played as a single if needed. Found an American company that sell pre-wired wiring harnesses too - you just solder on the pots and the pups and away ya go! 8)

It's gonna be fuck yeah cool! :barscarf: