Just Published my first novel...

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
DB10GOONER

Just Published my first novel...

Post by DB10GOONER »

Straight up. Been writing for magazines and websites for years and have a couple of screenplays out in Hollywood being looked at by various agents (but am not holding my breath on the mythical $1million “option” payment arriving any day soon! :lol: ).

Been working on two novels for about a year or two now and had some meetings with agents and publishers but basically the Oirish publishing industry is down to “Yeah we might publish it, but you’d need to advance buy the first 150 copies yourself to cover our risk”.

Fuck. That. :evil:

A mate then suggested I look into self-publishing and self-marketing. So I did and ended up publishing my first novel “Lads Incorporated” this week through Lulu.com Publishing. Have to admit it was a lot of work, you have to format it just right, and set the cover image just so, and MSWord is the biggest pain in the arse to work with. It's an "adult" comedy and if you are easily offended I'd avoid it tbh! :D :wink: But I've had all positive feedback from the few people I let proof read it prior to publishing.

Anyway, it’s published.

Paperback is £16.48 (€19.99) of which I receive about €6. As that is admittedly a bit pricey for a paperback I also set up an ebook version at £6.59 (€7.99) of which I receive about €5.

Here’s a link to my Lulu.com page where anyone that wants to can buy a copy; http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Alan_Paul_Kelly

The second novel is a military/conspiracy thriller and should be published in the next week or two – if I ever get the time to finish the fucking formatting. :banghead:

Oh for some unknown (as yet) reason the ebook preview chapter is not working on the site but the paperback preview chapter is.

arseofacrow

Re: Just Published my first novel...

Post by arseofacrow »

Well done mate! :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:Well done mate! :barscarf:

Cheers, old mate. But let's wait and see if I actually sell any of them! :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Well Done That Man! :high5:. I wish you much success mate, I am in the process of (trying) to format something of my own for publishing on LuLu, :oops:

btw: when you say 'Adult Comedy'' does that mean you have included those incidents of a certain Gooner in the lavs at The Eaglettes with frank and the one's of Reb with the three legged goat!? :rubchin: :D

Good Luck.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:Well Done That Man! :high5:. I wish you much success mate, I am in the process of (trying) to format something of my own for publishing on LuLu, :oops:

btw: when you say 'Adult Comedy'' does that mean you have included those incidents of a certain Gooner in the lavs at The Eaglettes with frank and the one's of Reb with the three legged goat!? :rubchin: :D

Good Luck.
Haha. :lol: No, sorry no mention of the infamous Eglettes Dirtbirds! :lol:

But as it is a comedy set in Dublin, and most of the main characters are Dubs, Reb and his six-toed culchie brethren do get a bit of a pasting! In a nice way though. Kind of. :D :wink:

Good luck with the formatting, mate - it is a pain in the hole, huh? :(

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Alan that is fantastic news!! I shall buy a paperback and an e book just so I have you by my side all night and day.

But seriously I doth my cap to you for an amazing effort to get published.

I will order a copy for sure!

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Just about to order a copy... It had better be good :twisted: :lol:

Congratulations, Alan.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Cheers, Nick and Matt! Appreciate the support. Hope you like it. The Arsenal get a nice mention in it too! 8)

There is a glossary in the back to help you through the more archaic "Dublinisms"! :lol: :wink:

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Cheers, old mate. But let's wait and see if I actually sell any of them! :lol: :wink:
Doesn't matter if you only end up selling one copy - to yourself!! The important thing is that you put in the work and actually have something to show for your efforts, and that in itself is a major achievement. You never, ever know who might see them and what might happen in the future because of that. Well done and good luck with the books. :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Doesn't matter if you only end up selling one copy - to yourself!! The important thing is that you put in the work and actually have something to show for your efforts, and that in itself is a major achievement. You never, ever know who might see them and what might happen in the future because of that. Well done and good luck with the books. :barscarf:
Cheers, Hlebby. Kind words and much appreciated. The film rights are yours for a million up front. Dollars, Pounds, Euro, Lire, Pesos, Dinars or Rupees. I don't care, just want to say "Yeah, I got a million for the film rights". :lol: :wink:

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
I Hate Hleb wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Cheers, Hlebby. Kind words and much appreciated. The film rights are yours for a million up front. Dollars, Pounds, Euro, Lire, Pesos, Dinars or Rupees. I don't care, just want to say "Yeah, I got a million for the film rights". :lol: :wink:
I have a million Zimbabwean dollars here on the wall, if you're still interested... 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SWLGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote: Cheers, Hlebby. Kind words and much appreciated. The film rights are yours for a million up front. Dollars, Pounds, Euro, Lire, Pesos, Dinars or Rupees. I don't care, just want to say "Yeah, I got a million for the film rights". :lol: :wink:
I have a million Zimbabwean dollars here on the wall, if you're still interested... 8)
Ah, General Mfobe Akimbaye... we meet again. Have you been busy since your last email to me? :-P :wink:

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Quite tempted, or should I wait for the conspiracy one?

Any pictures of boobs ?

Is the conspiracy one based on US Martin?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

storrmin571 wrote:Quite tempted, or should I wait for the conspiracy one?

Any pictures of boobs ?

Is the conspiracy one based on US Martin?
Buy them both! :lol: :wink:

The link in my OP shows the cover to the first one.

USMarty is not in the conspiracy novel but it is a cracking read! 8) :D

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

They say there's a book in everyone, but two :shock: You must be a fucking genius 8)
Seriously though good luck with it, :barscarf: a book launch might give you that extra bit of publicity, to get the thing moving.