RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Clash

Re: Brian Woolnough RIP

Post by Clash »

Sad news this [Brian Woolnough]. I liked him and like others I had wondered where he'd got to. Definitely one of the fairer and most reasonable journalists of the last 20 years.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

Martin Samuel wrote a little snippet about him...quite funny story in there too. Cancer is horrible stuff, my old dear's suffering with it at the moment. RIP
Many people who read this column will know Brian Woolnough as the presenter of a programme called The Sunday Supplement, in which journalists talk football, eat croissants and, during the interval, swap the stuff we can't say on air. That's why we're always laughing when the show comes back after the break. Sorry.

Brian died yesterday, after a long illness, and already we miss that infectiously easy laughter. He presented a weekend breakfast show on talkSport for a while, too. I was an occasional guest.

Him, me, what appeared to be a 12-year-old producer and whoever else was up at 6am on a Saturday morning. Nutters, mostly. Brilliant nutters like the Arsenal fan who phoned in whispering because he was still in bed with his sleeping wife, and wished to agree with a previous caller's statement that seeing his team score was better than sex.

Brian was incredulous. 'So you'd rather watch Arsenal than have sex with your missus?' 'Mate,' he said darkly, after a pause, 'I'd rather watch Tottenham than have sex with my missus.'

Brian was a brilliant journalist who always asked the toughest question and as good as patented the idea that there was invariably a news story worth telling at every game, beyond the straightforward confines of the match report.

Every football reporter has been asked to do that job at some time in his career. None of us ever did it as well as Brian. He nailed great stories in the days when there wasn't a live event to fill the back page each day and, despite everything, remained great company on the road.

On behalf of his many friends at the Daily Mail sports desk, our thoughts are with his family, while sparing room for some memories of a much- admired man.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

skizz_b wrote:Martin Samuel wrote a little snippet about him...quite funny story in there too. Cancer is horrible stuff, my old dear's suffering with it at the moment. RIP
Many people who read this column will know Brian Woolnough as the presenter of a programme called The Sunday Supplement, in which journalists talk football, eat croissants and, during the interval, swap the stuff we can't say on air. That's why we're always laughing when the show comes back after the break. Sorry.

Brian died yesterday, after a long illness, and already we miss that infectiously easy laughter. He presented a weekend breakfast show on talkSport for a while, too. I was an occasional guest.

Him, me, what appeared to be a 12-year-old producer and whoever else was up at 6am on a Saturday morning. Nutters, mostly. Brilliant nutters like the Arsenal fan who phoned in whispering because he was still in bed with his sleeping wife, and wished to agree with a previous caller's statement that seeing his team score was better than sex.

Brian was incredulous. 'So you'd rather watch Arsenal than have sex with your missus?' 'Mate,' he said darkly, after a pause, 'I'd rather watch Tottenham than have sex with my missus.'

Brian was a brilliant journalist who always asked the toughest question and as good as patented the idea that there was invariably a news story worth telling at every game, beyond the straightforward confines of the match report.

Every football reporter has been asked to do that job at some time in his career. None of us ever did it as well as Brian. He nailed great stories in the days when there wasn't a live event to fill the back page each day and, despite everything, remained great company on the road.

On behalf of his many friends at the Daily Mail sports desk, our thoughts are with his family, while sparing room for some memories of a much- admired man.
That was Spudmasher that phoned in, wasn't it? :lol: :wink:

flash gunner

Re: RIP Thread - Once more hosted by Cusamano (after threats

Post by flash gunner »

R.I.P. to my wifes aunt who died last night. She was massive Arsenal fan having grown up in Islington. She was old and recently became unwell but im sure she is in the Northbank in the sky with all the other Gooners now :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:R.I.P. to my wifes aunt who died last night. She was massive Arsenal fan having grown up in Islington. She was old and recently became unwell but im sure she is in the Northbank in the sky with all the other Gooners now :barscarf:
Sorry to hear that, mate.

RIP.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
flash gunner wrote:R.I.P. to my wifes aunt who died last night. She was massive Arsenal fan having grown up in Islington. She was old and recently became unwell but im sure she is in the Northbank in the sky with all the other Gooners now :barscarf:

RIP.
Me too.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Condolences, Flash, hope she didn't suffer and that you and family are ok.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Chirs Kiwomya's 7 year old son, Lucas, tragically passed away after suffering an asthma attack http://uk.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A7x9Q ... _1_1524321.

Thoughts with him for his family.

cusamano

Post by cusamano »

QuartzGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

RIP.
Me too.
Me too.

cusamano

Post by cusamano »

RIP Cecil Gordon

Cecil Gordon (June 21, 1941 – September 19, 2012) was an American stock car racing driver. A competitor in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series between 1968 and 1985, he competed in 449 events without winning a race.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

R.I.P Corrie Sanders

Ex World Heavyweight Champion Boxer, shot dead in a robbery in South Africa.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Condolences mate. :barscarf:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Thanks lads everyone is pretty good thanks again

cusamano

Post by cusamano »

Guys, I can´t keep you updated this week...
I´m at the Oktoberfest and drunk all week :cheers: :cheers:
I don´t know who died, and don´t know if I will survive... :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

cusamano wrote:Guys, I can´t keep you updated this week...
I´m at the Oktoberfest and drunk all week :cheers: :cheers:
I don´t know who died, and don´t know if I will survive... :wink:

:barscarf:

Yay! Means no one will die this week!! The Grim CusamanoReaper is on holidays!! Yay!!

:barscarf:

:lol: :wink: