RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Bradywasking

Re: RIP Thread

Post by Bradywasking »

Ray Wilkins RIP

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:12 pm
Ray Wilkins RIP
really sad news, a great guy.

he played for Chelsea and United...but I still didn't hate him.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:28 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:12 pm
Ray Wilkins RIP
really sad news, a great guy.

he played for Chelsea and United...but I still didn't hate him.
100%, really nice guy you wouldn’t know he played for Chelski the way he commented on other teams.

RIP

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

RIP, a gentleman of the game

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

All of the above - He always came across as a very well mannered, polite person, also what I did like about his punditry was that he always tried to be constructive in his critical assessment of players and games. Ray Wilkins RIP.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

Yeah agree with above. RIP Ray 'Butch' Wilkins. Always came across as a nice bloke on the Telly and can't think of anytime when he played us that i didn't like him.

So Sad,

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:02 pm
All of the above - He always came across as a very well mannered, polite person, also what I did like about his punditry was that he always tried to be constructive in his critical assessment of players and games. Ray Wilkins RIP.
He was a co commenator on a few of our games a few years back - he always called us The Arsenal , respect given.

Thoughts for family and friends

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

When he was at the chavs I thought he was a really good player, but when he went to manure he became king of sideways passing.

One pundit famously said, "He can't pass, can't shoot, can't tackle and the only time he goes forward is to toss the coin."

I always thought he seemed a decent bloke and 61 is way too young.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Sad to hear the news. I remember the tail end of his career at QPR. Always thought he must be quality not many Englishmen go to Italy and are successful at a time Italian football was technically the best league at the time. He also turned out for Merson's testimonial. He was fantastic and really stood out against the talent that played in the friendly.
Came across really well as a pundit. Didn't shy away from tough questions, and I liked the fact he never hid the fact he was Chelsea, but remained impartial.
Gonna miss him on SSN. RIP Ray Wilkins.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Bye bye matey, RIP.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wilkins was a conundrum for me. He irritated the piss out of me with the way he made almost everything about Ingerland and Ingerlish players during commentary. I could not give a flying fuck about Interlull football and don't want to hear about it whilst watching club football. And the way he went from being a "United man" during their success to being a "chelsea man" during their success was nauseating.

But...

He was a true gentleman, always respectful and courteous and there are some great stories coming out about how he helped young players and fans etc. And I loved the fact he ALWAYS called us The Arsenal.

RIP to a true gent of the game. A sad loss.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Quality player ,seemed a nice guy, loved the Tango ads ,er thats it !

rich31

Post by rich31 »

As a kid growing up in the seventies supporting Arsenal there were one or two players that most kids worshipped outside of their clubs own players.Ray wilkins was one of them for me...he was just such a big name and a star at that time.I remember seeing a picture of him sitting on a Rayleigh Chopper in some football mag and thinking how cool he was (he probably looked and felt quite silly really as captain of chelsea sitting on a kids bike!!) Anyway he came across as a nice bloke as the years went by and the tributes to him are testimony to that. 61 is no age really.R.I.P. Ray .

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

BREAKING: Five-time world darts champion Eric Bristow has passed away aged 60 following a heart-attack this evening. #SSN https://t.co/2pq8nH6SlZ

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Eric Bristow RIP
Darts first superstar. Heart attack aged 60. Sad news.