RIP Thread

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
OneBardGooner

Re: RIP Thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

Hear! Hear!. :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:27 pm
20yrs ago today we lost an Arsenal legend far to early

George Geordie Armstrong

https://www.gunnerstown.com/arsenal/201 ... armstrong/
Very true. RIP. 8)

Clash

Post by Clash »

Diego Maradona!

Aged just 60, although maybe living that long was a miracle after what he put his body through.

Best player of all time without question. Only debate to be had is who is the 2nd best.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Undoubtedly the greatest player ever!
RIP

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Maradona? A good player. Better than Fake Ronaldo. But nowhere near Pele. Or even Messi. Or Bergkamp.

Also. A druggie and a cheat.

Still, RIP.

John F

Post by John F »

I said to my youngest son that he is lucky to be able to witness such a great player as Messi but Maradona edges it for me. He played at a time when pitches were not as good as today and teams in Italy sent out players to hack him down yet he was able to withstand the tackles and keep great control of the ball. I am not so sure Messi would have been quite so effective under the same conditions.

rich31

Post by rich31 »

Heavy D. ..a marmite character for sure but never the less a Gooner and very sad to be taken so young. R.I.P.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:20 am
Maradona? A good player. Better than Fake Ronaldo. But nowhere near Pele. Or even Messi. Or Bergkamp.

Still, RIP.

This 1,000%

:high5:

but.

R.I.P

rich31

Post by rich31 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Still, RIP.

This 1,000%

but.

R.I.P
Yep i'll second that :cheers:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

rich31 wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:45 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Still, RIP.

This 1,000%

but.

R.I.P
Bullshit!
Carried (and cheated a wee teeny bit) Argentina to the World Cup!
Went to Napoli, when Italian Football was the most competitive in the world and won 2 titles with the Italian equivalent of Hull City!
Sorry DB, Maradona was twice the player if all those you mentioned.
I will single out Messi, who has done fuck all at the World Cups, he took part in. As fir his success in Spain? It came playing virtually with the Spanish world cup winning team.
As for Pele ? He’d barely make my top 10.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

rich31 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Still, RIP.

This 1,000%

but.

R.I.P
Bullshit!
Went to Napoli, when Italian Football was the most competitive in the world and won 2 titles with the Italian equivalent of Hull City!
Sorry DB, Maradona was twice the player of all those you mentioned.
I will single out Messi, who has done fuck all at the World Cups, he took part in. As fir his success in Spain? It came playing virtually with the Spanish world cup winning team.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:00 pm
rich31 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Still, RIP.

This 1,000%

but.

R.I.P
Bullshit!

I'm with DB10 on this sid - great player as he was, the question mark will always be there as to how much of his success was drug driven, and how long was he on the drugs before he got caught ?

I know that it is only a small percentage of people involved, but it is shameful and embarrassing how his death his given some of english society another chance to air their anger/contempt/bitterness of the hand of god goal - it was 34 years ago so let it go ffs :roll: We (Ireland) rightly get bashed over complaining about henry's handball knocking us out in euro play-off's a few years ago (yes I'm talking about you steve o :wink: ), but I rarely hear anything about it whilst we still listen to complaints about this goal against england. Jug ears lineker couldnt even make a genuine respectful post about maradona's death last night without referencing it, and then he hadnt even the balls to admit to what he had done and claimed that it was respectful :roll:

rich31

Post by rich31 »

goonersid wrote:
rich31 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Still, RIP.

This 1,000%

but.

R.I.P
Bullshit!
Sorry DB, Maradona was twice the player of all those you mentioned.
Eight goals spread over 4 world cups is not great really (this includes his handball goal).A stand out player in a poor side in 86 no question .Apart from his golden period at Napoli achieved very little else and there are many players who played a significant role for a short time in a clubs success.Vardy,Rush,Henry,Van Basten, or even Schillaci who scored 6 goals in one world cup for Italy.Football is littered with great players who had a limited period of time where they brought success to their clubs or countries and Maradona was no more than that in my opinion

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

goonersid wrote:
rich31 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Still, RIP.

This 1,000%

but.

R.I.P
Bullshit!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I’m not saying he was the most successful player, but that he was the most talented.
His top flight career was cut short by various addictions.
What he did win with Argentina and Napoli was down to him, particularly at Napoli, he could have gone to Juve, either Milan team, anywhere but he went to arguably the poorest city in Italy and brought then unimaginable success.
As for the Ingerlish media and indeed a huge section of Ingerland fans, that go on and on and on anout the “hand of God”?
Fucking get over it you hypocritical shower of wankers!
I would have blamed “Shilts” 6’4” outjumped by a fucking dwarf.
For me as an Irishman (when it suits me :wink: ) It was one of the most memorable nights ever :lol:
On cheating?
It was fine for Michael Owen to throw himself to the ground in a world cup game against Argentina!